espn gameday crew call's khaliq's "firejerrykill.com" site pathetic and disgusting

FWIW, I just ventured over there and the website is very slick. I don't agree with the name of the web-site, in that Kill shouldn't be fired (just yet anyway), but one cannot help be impressed with the intelligent writing, eye-candy (cool pictures and graphs) etc.

That's my thought as well. Some very good writing and some very good angles on statistics and performance included on the site. I'm supportive of Kill, but I think the information in a number of the posts is very good.

P.S.--And although I am a middle-aged male of Scandinavian descent, I find much of the stuff humorous.

One minor thing for Khaliq though, if he's reading ... calling out ESPN for comparing the Trail of Tears to the Oklahoma/Texas Tech game on your blog with a large comparison of the Hindenburg disaster to Jerry Kill's tenure/hiring isn't all that effective. Perspective people.

khaliq - btw, you absolutely fraud. have fun keeping your childish little website up for the next 7 years. my, my little boy.......jerry kill isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

idiot.......

His site is generally spot on and quite funny. I'm looking forward to reading his take on the ridiculous contract offered to Kill today.

I agree, he is quite hilarious and pretty intelligent. People here are WAY too serious about gopher football and anything negative about it. We have a sad fan base which is represented quite nicely by Williams Arena when you try to stand up and cheer while being heckled and chastised by ten old hacks for being too loud and blocking the view. Needs a youth movement, big time. Brew started one, than lost us all with his ineptitude.

By the way, I was dying laughing reading the flow chart. Comedy gold.

By the way, I was dying laughing reading the flow chart. Comedy gold.

Ditto. Especially when I got to the "search for typos" bubble. Maybe universities should think about buying up the possible firecoach'sname.com websites before others can.

I see the humor on the site, and I did laugh a couple times, but for most of us it's going to be hard to relate overall since the only other people we've known that talk like this are DB Reusse and the little smart ass $hits we knew in high school that got smacked around a lot.

I thought it was a pretty funny site. Big deal...its the internet...they stuff that gets spewed on here is just as bad as that...

i don't agree with everything kaliq/gendo is saying. i like kill and i think that he will succeed. i also think that much of the content on the site is questionable, however, it is relatively fresh and intelligent.

i liked a lot of what kaliq posted here, but i thought that he also displayed the same minnesotan urge to be offended by trivial slights that the rest of us display.

i laugh at the funny stuff and ignore the gray apologist.

bennett.gif
ummmm.....yeah. the nebraska *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#husker pushes him right into our guy. kind of hard to avoid when that happens.

You just can't make this stuff up. If we had done something like that, there would have been a holding penalty called.

I like Kill - I support the 7 year deal, but I think the site is hilarious.
Much like the old Homersota site that popped up a few years ago, it primarily pokes fun at Minnesota sports and their fans.
I suspect many of you don't like it because it hits too close to home.

Much like the old Homersota site that popped up a few years ago, it primarily pokes fun at Minnesota sports and their fans.

I don't get it. So we're stupid for following our hometown teams?
We're stupid for trying to find positive things about our hometown teams?
It's ok to take very personal shots at our beloved hometown teams?
It's funny to undercut any glimmer of positive vibes coming from the teams we support?
Someone explain to me why making fun of an 18 year old true freshman quarterback for having red hair is Fing hilarious. Or making fun of our coordinators for being obese is so goddamn hilarious and well written.

Hack job websites for negative and small people. I don't give a rat's ass how the graphics look.

nope. thinking you are way off the mark. would say that most don't like it because it is a: pointless, childish, poorly done, mean-spirited site. it severly lacks any real creativity, style, thought or legitimate discussion.

a pointless, childish, poorly done, mean-spirited site FOR AND ENJOYED MOSTLY BY pointless, childish, poorly done, mean-spirited rubes/anonymouse message board heroes.

that last statement probably hits too close to home for some of the rubes who enjoy it or actually think it is clever.

It's funny to undercut any glimmer of positive vibes coming from the teams we support?
Someone explain to me why making fun of an 18 year old true freshman quarterback for having red hair is Fing hilarious. Or making fun of our coordinators for being obese is so goddamn hilarious and well written.

Hack job websites for negative and small people. I don't give a rat's ass how the graphics look.

+1. you pretty much said it all. and no, i am not some old-timer who just doesn't get the internet age and the millions of useless websites out there. i am only in my 30's. it is a rather cheaply and poorly done site. seen better site work by kids in junior high.

nope. thinking you are way off the mark. would say that most don't like it because it is a: pointless, childish, poorly done, mean-spirited site. it severly lacks any real creativity, style, thought or legitimate discussion.

a pointless, childish, poorly done, mean-spirited site FOR AND ENJOYED MOSTLY BY pointless, childish, poorly done, mean-spirited rubes/anonymouse message board heroes.

that last statement probably hits too close to home for some of the rubes who enjoy it or actually think it is clever.

I think you should write a flowchart.

So we're stupid for following our hometown teams?
-blindly and unconditionally without the ability to criticize, yes. There are far too many here who refuse to rip the program because of some false sense of nobility.

- trying to find a nugget of positivity in an otherwise absolute train wreck of a program reeks of desperation. This team is rock bottom.

- YES. YES. YES. If they are deserved. YES. I have far more respect for fans in Boston and Philly that will be BRUTAL to their hometown teams if they fail. People in this town accept mediocrity, and have for years. It's shameful. This town is considered loserville for a reason. No major team has won a title here in exactly 20 years. (no, the Lynx are not a major team)

- if it comes off as Sid-like homerism, yes. See the previous statement.

- ripping on their appearance, it's fairly childish, but I don't for a second subscribe to the notion that because these are college players they are somehow beyond individual criticism. I've said this before - this isn't D3 football. This is a BCS conference team. BCS level football is big business in this country, and it's driven by the players. It's arguably bigger than the NFL when you look at the number of people who attend games. Absolutely these players should be criticized and called out for failure. If you don't want to be in the spotlight, go play NAIA ball.

-blindly and unconditionally without the ability to criticize, yes. There are far too many here who refuse to rip the program because of some false sense of nobility.

- trying to find a nugget of positivity in an otherwise absolute train wreck of a program reeks of desperation. This team is rock bottom.

- YES. YES. YES. If they are deserved. YES. I have far more respect for fans in Boston and Philly that will be BRUTAL to their hometown teams if they fail. People in this town accept mediocrity, and have for years. It's shameful. This town is considered loserville for a reason. No major team has won a title here in exactly 20 years. (no, the Lynx are not a major team)

- ripping on their appearance, it's fairly childish, but I don't for a second subscribe to the notion that because these are college players they are somehow beyond individual criticism. I've said this before - this isn't D3 football. This is a BCS conference team. BCS level football is big business in this country, and it's driven by the players. It's arguably bigger than the NFL when you look at the number of people who attend games. Absolutely these players should be criticized and called out for failure. If you don't want to be in the spotlight, go play NAIA ball.

Weak ass points.

#Losing

I'll go back on one point: Trying to find a smidge of positivity in this disaster isn't a bad thing. It's what keeps us going as fans. That said, I'm amazed at those here who simply refuse to say anything negative, and to jump all over those who do.

There's a reason this team has stunk for 40 years. Because nobody demands any more of it.

I like Kill. I think he was a good hire and I support the 7 year deal, but what's left of the fanbase of this team needs to demand real results on the field and not turn into whining toddlers when anyone says anything remotely negative about this program (other than Maturi, who we all seem to agree on at this point.)

i couldn't disagree more with everything you have said here.
Criticism is ok, what this website does is as you say childish and petty.
We as fans can demand changes, observe serious problems and comment on them, but whole heartedly ripping and demeaning the team and program is not ok.
Ripping and demeaning fans who try to find positives in the team they support is also small and petty.

Your examples of Boston and Philly are bad ones, neither are college football towns, and both have had serious droughts of winning, how long did the Red sox go without a world series? Philly has the least respected and worst behaved fans of any sports city in America, you must respect different things than i do.
It's not D3, but they are kids regardless of a full ride, they aren't making millions like the other 1 win team in town right now that seems to be escaping the vitriol of the media.
Where's Khaliq's firelesfrazier.com? Why isn't Reusse commenting on how bad a coach Frazier is and how low expectations have fallen for the Vikings?

I'm ok with simply agreeing to disagree, but I think piling onto a 1 win program and undercutting any microscopic positive buzz with insults and "childish" jokes is damaging.

i couldn't disagree more with everything you have said here.
Criticism is ok, what this website does is as you say childish and petty.
We as fans can demand changes, observe serious problems and comment on them, but whole heartedly ripping and demeaning the team and program is not ok.
Ripping and demeaning fans who try to find positives in the team they support is also small and petty.

Your examples of Boston and Philly are bad ones, neither are college football towns, and both have had serious droughts of winning, how long did the Red sox go without a world series? Philly has the least respected and worst behaved fans of any sports city in America, you must respect different things than i do.
It's not D3, but they are kids regardless of a full ride, they aren't making millions like the other 1 win team in town right now that seems to be escaping the vitriol of the media.
Where's Khaliq's firelesfrazier.com? Why isn't Reusse commenting on how bad a coach Frazier is and how low expectations have fallen for the Vikings?

I'm ok with simply agreeing to disagree, but I think piling onto a 1 win program and undercutting any microscopic positive buzz with insults and "childish" jokes is damaging.

ummmm.......Ole is WINNING this debate.........by a long shot. just calling it like i see it.

I usually don't post in threads like this because its too much like arguing politics. But this one and that web site are perfect examples of something I have asked many friends about when discussing Gopher football. I moved to Minnesota and became a Gopher fan when I was 21 and I'm now 44. So according to many life long Minnesotans, I am still not "one of them". I often find myself surrounded by born and bred Minnesota "fans" that really seem to enjoy ripping on the Gophers. With a big smile on their face, they will tell me how much the Gophers suck or knowing that I'm a fan, they will post on my Facebook page the same thing immediately after a bad loss. One friend that considers himself a Gopher fan told me a couple of weeks ago that he was going to Iowa to watch the Hawkeyes play Northwestern so he could see a "real college football game". What is it about the culture here that it is deemed "cool" to make fun of the team you are supposedly a fan of?

I'm not blind. I can see that the team is not good right now. Hell, it's pretty obvious that they are really, really bad. But I would like to believe that they are trying to get better and I will support them regardless. I can't stand Iowa or Wisconsin but I am honestly envious of the "unconditional love" and the passion so many of their fans have for their teams. I see some of that here, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

It's always easier to cheer for a winner, but I like to believe that I am a fan of the Minnesota Golden Gophers and not just a fan of their win/loss record.

I usually don't post in threads like this because its too much like arguing politics. But this one and that web site are perfect examples of something I have asked many friends about when discussing Gopher football. I moved to Minnesota and became a Gopher fan when I was 21 and I'm now 44. So according to many life long Minnesotans, I am still not "one of them". I often find myself surrounded by born and bred Minnesota "fans" that really seem to enjoy ripping on the Gophers. With a big smile on their face, they will tell me how much the Gophers suck or knowing that I'm a fan, they will post on my Facebook page the same thing immediately after a bad loss. One friend that considers himself a Gopher fan told me a couple of weeks ago that he was going to Iowa to watch the Hawkeyes play Northwestern so he could see a "real college football game". What is it about the culture here that it is deemed "cool" to make fun of the team you are supposedly a fan of?

I'm not blind. I can see that the team is not good right now. Hell, it's pretty obvious that they are really, really bad. But I would like to believe that they are trying to get better and I will support them regardless. I can't stand Iowa or Wisconsin but I am honestly envious of the "unconditional love" and the passion so many of their fans have for their teams. I see some of that here, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

It's always easier to cheer for a winner, but I like to believe that I am a fan of the Minnesota Golden Gophers and not just a fan of their win/loss record.

Post of the Year Nominee

Totally agree...well said!

I'm hoping that being a Gopher football fan will be looked at in a positive light when my time comes.

Spot on Ole.

If anything, he's giving Hawkeye and Badger fans fodder to share on their sites. Making fun of a college athlete to justify your own pathetic life is twisted.

What is it about the culture here that it is deemed "cool" to make fun of the team you are supposedly a fan of?

I don't know, but it's been this way as long as I can remember.
Thinking back 25 years to junior high and high school, I rarely remember seeing people wearing Gophers/Twins/Vikings/Wolves gear. The exception would be Twins 1987 world championship shirts, which were everywhere. I did see quite a bit of North Stars stuff as well.

On the flip side, guys always wore stuff from teams like the Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, USC, Florida, Texas, The Raiders, LA Kings, etc. It was most definitely considered NOT cool to wear Gophers or Twins or Vikings stuff. It appears that this continues.

Or making fun of our coordinators for being obese is so goddamn hilarious and well written.

I posted this on another thread, but seems like anyone making fun of Reusse's voice and/or appearance ought not be ripping on someone else making fun of Limegrover's appearance (or Kill's for that matter). A lot of people on this site might well think about that.

I posted this on another thread, but seems like anyone making fun of Reusse's voice and/or appearance ought not be ripping on someone else making fun of Limegrover's appearance (or Kill's for that matter). A lot of people on this site might well think about that.

The difference here is that I don't recall Limegrover or Claeys insulting Gopher fans or ripping the team. The second Reusse ripped the fans or team it became open season on him (and I believe he has been ripping the team, program, fans, and school for as long as I can remember - I'm positive the U must have taken his first born or something along those lines).

Top Bottom