Hageman & Carter

CWCWCW

Reaction score
When I'm at the game, I usually watch the game as a typical fan, but there are times when I focus on an individual player. This past weekend, I saw that Hageman had quite a bit of action at defensive tackle and he looked pretty good. He had some pressure on the quarterback, and took on a couple of double teams nicely. I have seen comments that indicated he has a problem keeping his pad level low. In my miniscule observation--looked good to me. Others have comments on his progression?
Also, what's up with Michael Carter? I didn't see him on special teams, and I don't think he played during the game. Am I wrong? To me, he's the biggest enigma on the team. Hard to live up to uncle Tyrone, but sheesh, this guy was ballyhooed and hasn't made a whisper.

Hate to say it, but its beginning to look to me like Carter may be one of the open schollies at the end of the season. Have no clue why they are doing nothing with him, but for one of their top recruits a couple of years ago to be on the bench behind position transfers? Something ain't right, especially when their coverage has been so lacking and burned.

Hate to say it, but its beginning to look to me like Carter may be one of the open schollies at the end of the season. Have no clue why they are doing nothing with him, but for one of their top recruits a couple of years ago to be on the bench behind position transfers? Something ain't right, especially when their coverage has been so lacking and burned.

Or maybe Carter is being red shirted. 165 pounds is pretty light for Defense in the Big Ten.

For Pure physical strength Hageman is at an elite level

You can tell that guy is brick Sh!t strong. There was one play on Saturday where he Hageman tossed two offensive lineman out of his way, pushed one guy aside with one arm and just bull rushed right through and by the other guy. You cannot teach that kind of physical strength, this kid was born with some of what he has.

He is awful tall for a defensive tackle and is new to playing the position, I think this is why people meniton pad level. The kid has the natural beast physical talent, I'm not sure what type of coaching he had prior to college, but you can tell he is still really raw at playing defensive line. If the position coach were to spend some extra attention, some one on one teaching time with Hageman he might really have something if he can teach him technique and how to study film. The coach Phelps is probably already doing that. Hageman could be special player with the right coaching, he flashes at times, shows flashes of brilliance, and catches your eye on how strong he is. Besides playing Tight End in high school, I don't think he was really taught how to play defense at all until he reached college.

Carter I have no idea about him, other than he has not played a lick the last couple years.

Carter and Watkins both stand right in front of my seats. They both are in pads, but they both have baseball hats on, and never have a helmet anywhere near them. Don't know why, but it isn't a good sign when they have ball caps on. I was hoping both would be starting or first off the bench type of players.

Carter and Watkins both stand right in front of my seats. They both are in pads, but they both have baseball hats on, and never have a helmet anywhere near them. Don't know why, but it isn't a good sign when they have ball caps on. I was hoping both would be starting or first off the bench type of players.

Reminds me of the Pittman-Hayo duo. Always together on the sideline, never playing.

When I'm at the game, I usually watch the game as a typical fan, but there are times when I focus on an individual player. This past weekend, I saw that Hageman had quite a bit of action at defensive tackle and he looked pretty good. He had some pressure on the quarterback, and took on a couple of double teams nicely. I have seen comments that indicated he has a problem keeping his pad level low. In my miniscule observation--looked good to me. Others have comments on his progression?
Also, what's up with Michael Carter? I didn't see him on special teams, and I don't think he played during the game. Am I wrong? To me, he's the biggest enigma on the team. Hard to live up to uncle Tyrone, but sheesh, this guy was ballyhooed and hasn't made a whisper.

I can't say much in regards to those two players.. But I wanted to comment here because I, like you, normally watch the game as a typical fan when I'm watching it live (when I re-watch games is when I go into analyst mode). One play I WASN'T in typical rube mode was that TD pass Miami had at the closed end of the field in the 2nd half (I think 4th quarter), I was watching Stoudermire line up and he was lined up on the WR that made the catch.. It looked like he was trying to make a call back toward a LB or S (maybe telling them to watch for the slant route is what I initially thought). Once the ball was snapped, it looked like it may have been zone coverage as Troy went to the inside (at this point my attention was on the WR so I don't recall where Troy ended up on that play) and the WR ran a flag or a square out route. He was wide open as the S (Manuel I think) couldn't get to that zone in time. IMO, that was a poor defensive call.

Perhaps both Carter and Watkins are being redshirted because we lose Stoudermire, Royston, Lewis (not a big loss), Johnson, and Salamon next year. Also, if you look at the roster there is only one Jr. (Henderson) besides Carter. If we can have Carter and Vereen for the next two years that would be helpful. Maybe the coaches gave them a choice of redshirting this year or being buried on depth chart and they chose the former. If true, I think its a great move as it allows those palyers to add more strength and speed while balancing out our classes a bit more.

I can't say much in regards to those two players.. But I wanted to comment here because I, like you, normally watch the game as a typical fan when I'm watching it live (when I re-watch games is when I go into analyst mode). One play I WASN'T in typical rube mode was that TD pass Miami had at the closed end of the field in the 2nd half (I think 4th quarter), I was watching Stoudermire line up and he was lined up on the WR that made the catch.. It looked like he was trying to make a call back toward a LB or S (maybe telling them to watch for the slant route is what I initially thought). Once the ball was snapped, it looked like it may have been zone coverage as Troy went to the inside (at this point my attention was on the WR so I don't recall where Troy ended up on that play) and the WR ran a flag or a square out route. He was wide open as the S (Manuel I think) couldn't get to that zone in time. IMO, that was a poor defensive call.

I think it was Lewis at S, and I think he might have been slow to get over the top. I think Mason pointed it out in the broadcast, Stoudermire was playing the slant inside and Lewis was supposed to come over the top and cover that, and I think he just didn't get out there like he was supposed to.

On the OP, Hageman could really end up making quite an impact his last two years, and especially his last year. It sounds like he's bought into trying to really learn this position and I'm hopeful he's now getting the coaching needed to help bring out the best in him down the line. Carter does seem like a bit of a mystery. I wouldn't be that upset if they really were going the redshirt route, but that seems unlikely to me.

I think it was Lewis at S, and I think he might have been slow to get over the top. I think Mason pointed it out in the broadcast, Stoudermire was playing the slant inside and Lewis was supposed to come over the top and cover that, and I think he just didn't get out there like he was supposed to.

Ahh. I haven't had the time to go back and watch the BTN broadcast. The joys of watching 'em live and in person. Nice to see that I wasn't COMPLETELY off base with my assessment.

Or maybe Carter is being red shirted. 165 pounds is pretty light for Defense in the Big Ten.

You almost never see a player redshirt after his freshman year unless hurt. In fact I don't even know if you can.* That ain't happening in this case.

* anyone know?

Yes, you absolutely can. I remember a few years ago NDAC redshirted a bunch of non-freshmen in basketball in anticipation of being eligible for the Big Dance for the first time.

And if Carter never sees the field this year, he will get a redshirt whether he wants it or not.

You almost never see a player redshirt after his freshman year unless hurt. In fact I don't even know if you can.* That ain't happening in this case.

* anyone know?
I used to do it all the time to my stud RB's in older versions of NCAA FB (since the game would never let them A) fight the RS designation or B) declare for the draft immediately following a RS season). That way, I always had a stable of stud RB's and could control when they left for the NFL.

So yea, I have no actual idea. ;)

Yea you can redshirt after your freshmen season - Kellen Moore's brother (WR at Boise) did according to the broadcast. He played a year - then they had the superstar receivers so they RSed him.

I agree it's rare and wouldn't have an example outside of NCAA video games had I not watched the Boise State game this week.

I could definitely be wrong, but I thought I saw Watkins playing special teams, i'll have to double check that this weekend.

As far as Carter, he seems firmly in the doghouse. I have no idea what is going on with him.

Hageman, yeah, he flashes some pretty impressive moments. He has moments of being a pure manchild and at times in practice (few snaps during games) he is the most impressive player on our entire defense. He is inconsistant, but if he can figure it out on a consistant basis, he will be awfully tough for anyone to block.

He is located in the other thread on the same topic that was posted and discussed earlier today.

It's tough to see two four star players struggling like Hageman and Carter. RaShede may become a decent player some day, but not tomorrow. Lemming considered him the BEST high school tight end when he was a senior. As everyone knows Carter was highly regarded as well and has actually contributed in college too. If I'm not mistaken, he has a couple career picks for the Gophers.

I remember Michael Carter committing to us and saying he was going to "spend his next three years here," in anticipation of going to the NFL after three. I guess this is a lesson in not counting your eggs before they hatch.

Carter is more thn likely red shirting

It's tough to see two four star players struggling like Hageman and Carter. RaShede may become a decent player some day, but not tomorrow. Lemming considered him the BEST high school tight end when he was a senior. As everyone knows Carter was highly regarded as well and has actually contributed in college too. If I'm not mistaken, he has a couple career picks for the Gophers.

The Carter situation is much different than the Hageman situation. Carter is struggling. Hageman is actually right on track. He is sophomore playing behind two SR DTs. One of those DTs (Jacobs) was also a 4 star kid, and Kirksey has a couple of years experience as well. Furthermore, Hageman is playing quite a bit right now (as a Soph) and he is the kind of player that it usually take a couple seasons to click (put on 50lbs and went from a TE to a DT). I don't think it's quite fair to lump these guys together as disappointments.

"• Michael Carter hasn't had any discipline problem, no brown shirt, maybe I expect more of him right now. Not working on getting him bigger. " Coach Kill

All right then.

* anyone know?

The rule is that you have a 5 year running clock to participate in 4 seasons. You can be a non-participant in any year.

A medical hardship, if granted, gives you another season and can extend the clock by a year if the hardship is suffered in year 5.

I get the perception with Michael Carter, that he was a bit slow in embracing the Kill system, and got behind. Now that he is on board, he is way behind, and struggling. He very well may redshirt as he catches up.

The rule is that you have a 5 year running clock to participate in 4 seasons. You can be a non-participant in any year.

If anyone remembers Jeff Hagen from the Monson era basketball teams - he did that. He played his freshman year, sat out the next, then played 3 more. At least that's what my memory is telling me.

When I saw that play it looked like Lewis misread the call from Stoudemire. I didn't notice how the coverage shaped up, but after the play Stoudemire went over to (evidently) Lewis and repeated the signal he gave pre-snap and got in his face a little bit about it. I interpreted it as him explaining the signal.

When I saw that play it looked like Lewis misread the call from Stoudemire. I didn't notice how the coverage shaped up, but after the play Stoudemire went over to (evidently) Lewis and repeated the signal he gave pre-snap and got in his face a little bit about it. I interpreted it as him explaining the signal.

Yeah, I saw a few DBs get together for a 'conference' but only for a few seconds because from my vantage point too many others were in my way. That and it's hard to see through my hand after a big facepalm.

Top Bottom