Next Gopher Head Coach

IF Johnson is gone...which is still an if at this point, he seems to have a lot of fans in basketball circles and administration. It's Medved, Smith, Dutcher, Musselman or bust, yes Muss is a big swing and very unlikely but you've gotta ask.

I don't think you make the change mid-season unless it's clear the coach has lost the team. It would accomplish nothing, imo.
Not necessarily advocating for it right now but should at least be working on a short list of candidates in case the need arises.

IF Johnson is gone...which is still an if at this point, he seems to have a lot of fans in basketball circles and administration. It's Medved, Smith, Dutcher, Musselman or bust, yes Muss is a big swing and very unlikely but you've gotta ask.
Why is it those 4 or bust? There are certainly a lot of other good coaches out there.

I don't think you make the change mid-season unless it's clear the coach has lost the team. It would accomplish nothing, imo.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the firing of De Paul's coach in midseason has to do with our situation. I hope I'm not being too simplistic here but I think there is a difference between 3-15 in midseason of year 3 and 12-6 in midseason of year 3. Even under the best of circumstances, I wouldn't expect De Paul to have as many wins at the end of the year as our team has now. Granted, they've played a tougher schedule than us but they also lost to Northern Illinois, Long Beach State, and Purdue-Fort Wayne.

Stubblefield has had three losing seasons and this is the worst of the three. The Gophers only have to win 2 more games for this season to be Johson's best (I certainly hope they win more than that! If not, Johnson should be fired).

As a side note, I wonder if Henley will be allowed to transfer and play immediately again, since his coach was fired?

Why is is those 4 or bust? There are certainly a lot of other good coaches out there.

Well, many people tend to be unimpressed by things they don't know. It's like what you see from a performance of a cover band at a local fair in some areas. The band could be really good but relatively few pay attention if they're covering songs they don't know. But, if they play the two millionth cover of Sweet Caroline or Sweet Home Alabama, the whole place erupts.

How so? Unless something changes.....so far Ben Johnson's first full high school class is looking like a success with Payne, JOJ, and Carrington all looking competent. Henley is hard to judge because he transferred out. Betts is the only one looking like a miss.

If you are going to flail wildly in your hatred towards Johnson....at least try a bit harder than this.
He's recruited every player except ihnen for the past 3 yrs

The DePaul players quit on Stubblefield. They were losing Big East games by an average of over 20 points per and in some games over 30. They fired him now to send a message to boosters, players, coaches, that the administration still values basketball.

The DePaul players quit on Stubblefield. They were losing Big East games by an average of over 20 points per and in some games over 30. They fired him now to send a message to boosters, players, coaches, that the administration still values basketball.

Take out the Georgetown game where they lost by 3(gtown obviously not good themselves). They lost their other 6 BE games by 28 ppg. That shouldnt be possible

Throw out Butler where they still lost by 14. And its 30.8 in 5 games.

Take out the Georgetown game where they lost by 3(gtown obviously not good themselves). They lost their other 6 BE games by 28 ppg. That shouldnt be possible

Throw out Butler where they still lost by 14. And its 30.8 in 5 games.
That gtown Xavier game last Friday was fun to watch.

I wasn't one of those fans (in fact I was on here arguing against those fans) and I still think your take stinks. So we have to give a bad coach more time because of previous bad seasons by different coaches? We can't just call a spade a spade when we see one in our face? Jesus please tell me you aren't in charge of a company or even a department because that is just pure unadult-rated crap.

Bad take. If you knew anything about running a company or even a department....you'd know that there are significant costs involved in turnover. Not just from a financial standpoint....but also a talent standpoint. I don't think there's enough on tape to say with confidence that Johnson doesn't have the gumption to be a head coach. Talent level on this team is improving. Lots of young guys with bright futures and I'd like to see what the team looks like next year.....while others want to blow it up and restart again because they have little to no patience or foresight.

He's recruited every player except ihnen for the past 3 yrs

Piecing together a team of transfers is tough to do. Ben Johnson didn't have a freshman class left over from Pitino's final team and didn't have the time to put together a high school class his first year due to the timing of his hiring. I can't believe I have to say it for the pessimists here.....but teams that don't pull in top talent year after year need to develop players in house. That's just the way it is. Johnson's first real high school class are a bunch of sophomores. And there's some legit talent there. Not to mention Christie who already plays beyond his age.

I like these players and think they could develop into a very good team given a bit more time. Others don't. That's fine. I don't think we'll blow it up after this year and start back from square one. If next year the team isn't sniffing the NCAA Tournament.....I think that would be the time where we realistically see a decision made on Johnson's tenure. But for this year.....I just don't see Coyle making a move.

I'd be shocked at this point if Johnson doesn't get a 4th year. Coyle will give it to him.

I'd say we finish around 7-13 in Big Ten play and that'll be enough. Would have taken another tank of a year I think to prevent it.

Bad take. If you knew anything about running a company or even a department....you'd know that there are significant costs involved in turnover. Not just from a financial standpoint....but also a talent standpoint. I don't think there's enough on tape to say with confidence that Johnson doesn't have the gumption to be a head coach. Talent level on this team is improving. Lots of young guys with bright futures and I'd like to see what the team looks like next year.....while others want to blow it up and restart again because they have little to no patience or foresight.

There are also significant costs in continually producing a bad to below avg product.

Oh my god you dont say! You mean we can't just cut ties and not pay the costs? Well now you have really changed my mind...

Of course there is cost...but if you refuse to improve because it will cost you money then why field a team at all? What is the attendance like these days? How many people are buying season tickets as opposed to secondary market tickets? How are the concessions selling? What will that be like next year if we are coming off another bad year with no changes made in the least bit?

In your mind how long do we have to wait to admit it isn't working?

Oh my god you dont say! You mean we can't just cut ties and not pay the costs? Well now you have really changed my mind...

Of course there is cost...but if you refuse to improve because it will cost you money then why field a team at all? What is the attendance like these days? How many people are buying season tickets as opposed to secondary market tickets? How are the concessions selling? What will that be like next year if we are coming off another bad year with no changes made in the least bit?

In your mind how long do we have to wait to admit it isn't working?

It's my opinion that we should see what the team looks like next with with Johnson's first real HS class as Juniors. Way too quick to pull the plug right now.....just to spin the wheel again. Don't get mad because you are too impatient. It's not my fault.

It's my opinion that we should see what the team looks like next with with Johnson's first real HS class as Juniors. Way too quick to pull the plug right now.....just to spin the wheel again. Don't get mad because you are too impatient. It's not my fault.
We can see what it looks like. It's not good enough to win in the B1G, especially without a superior coach. There are half a dozen coaches who would be massive upgrades that we can get. It's not a "spin of the wheel".

We can see what it looks like. It's not good enough to win in the B1G, especially without a superior coach. There are half a dozen coaches who would be massive upgrades that we can get. It's not a "spin of the wheel".

Funny that you say this as you continually bring up Chris Holtmann.....a guy who has historically underperformed with the talent that Ohio State has brought in.

Funny that you say this as you continually bring up Chris Holtmann.....a guy who has historically underperformed with the talent that Ohio State has brought in.
He's not even in my top 5 choices, but he's still a massively better coach than Ben Johnson.

He's not even in my top 5 choices, but he's still a massively better coach than Ben Johnson.

How so? Because his teams consistently perform way below the level of talent that is recruited? lol.

How so? Because his teams consistently perform way below the level of talent that is recruited? lol.
He's 100-78 in conference at the power 6 level. Ben is 9-37. But go off. I'm not turning this into an argument about him specifically. Meved, Craig Smith etc. are all massive upgrades too.

He's 100-78 in conference at the power 6 level. Ben is 9-37. But go off. I'm not turning this into an argument about him specifically. Meved, Craig Smith etc. are all massive upgrades too.

With the DePaul coach getting the axe, we officially have the worst P6 coach. 😔

Edit* Payne is still at UL, so 2nd worst.

Serious question.....which B1G conference head coaches would you NOT be willing to trade for Ben Johnson today?

Top Bottom