Former 5 star OL dismissed from Wisconsin

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
It was announced yesterday that he entered the transfer portal but apparently he had no choice.

Wow....wonder what he did for Leonhard to go public with him being booted off the team as opposed to just letting him transfer.
Word on the street is a fight in practice and he threw a punch. I gotta give credit to Leonhard for being willing to put out the truth instead of letting this kid control the story.

Word on the street is a fight in practice and he threw a punch. I gotta give credit to Leonhard for being willing to put out the truth instead of letting this kid control the story.
Sort of, if they're going to make a statement of he was kicked off the team, IMO they should say why.

Sounds like Mr.Brown gave new Head Coach Leonhard the chance to show that there is a new sheriff in town. Bet Lou Holtz is gettin a tear in his eye just thinking about it.

"Two State Journal sources said Brown was involved in a fight at practice Wednesday, which led to his dismissal.

Brown tweeted late Wednesday that he intended to transfer. Leonhard was asked during a Zoom news conference how he handles the conversations with players who decide to transfer midseason.

“The reality of what happened is that there was an internal incident here within the program and Logan Brown was dismissed from the program,” Leonhard said. “It was not a choice, he was dismissed from our program.”.

Brown was a five-star recruit and the second-highest-rated recruit ever to commit to UW, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings, and chose the Badgers over offers from Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State, among others. The Grand Rapids, Michigan, native would have two years of eligibility left at a new program.

Brown’s career at UW never took off, despite his ranking as a prospect. Shoulder, head and other injuries kept him from practicing for long stretches of time. He also managed Type 1 diabetes, which former Badgers coach Paul Chryst said made getting back-to-back days of peak performance difficult. He was inconsistent when he was healthy enough to play, according to former UW offensive line coach Joe Rudolph.."

Sounds like Mr.Brown gave new Head Coach Leonhard the chance to show that there is a new sheriff in town. Bet Lou Holtz is gettin a tear in his eye just thinking about it.

"Two State Journal sources said Brown was involved in a fight at practice Wednesday, which led to his dismissal.

Brown tweeted late Wednesday that he intended to transfer. Leonhard was asked during a Zoom news conference how he handles the conversations with players who decide to transfer midseason.

“The reality of what happened is that there was an internal incident here within the program and Logan Brown was dismissed from the program,” Leonhard said. “It was not a choice, he was dismissed from our program.”.

Brown was a five-star recruit and the second-highest-rated recruit ever to commit to UW, according to 247Sports’ composite rankings, and chose the Badgers over offers from Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State, among others. The Grand Rapids, Michigan, native would have two years of eligibility left at a new program.

Brown’s career at UW never took off, despite his ranking as a prospect. Shoulder, head and other injuries kept him from practicing for long stretches of time. He also managed Type 1 diabetes, which former Badgers coach Paul Chryst said made getting back-to-back days of peak performance difficult. He was inconsistent when he was healthy enough to play, according to former UW offensive line coach Joe Rudolph.."

It would seem then that the decision to kick him out of the program happened very fast. Within a few hours.

Kicked out for a fight in practice? C'mon. That can't be the real reason. Either that, or I'm just old and times have changed.

Kicked out for a fight in practice? C'mon. That can't be the real reason. Either that, or I'm just old and times have changed.
fights get to be on a different level when punches are thrown...shoving matches are one thing but throwing punches can be an assault charge. I grew up in a different era as well but it is what it is now.

fights get to be on a different level when punches are thrown...shoving matches are one thing but throwing punches can be an assault charge. I grew up in a different era as well but it is what it is now.
I've seen punches thrown in soccer games and no assault charges. I don't think times are that different in that regard. Not good but a punch in a practice? Must have been other stuff too. Could be how the player responded to the consequences/conversation after the fight.

What if the fight/punch was with a coach? Not saying that is what happened. I'm just pointing out that there isn't nearly enough information known to come up with an opinion of whether or not the punishment fits the crime.

I have a buddy who works at East Kentwood High School, a suburb of Grand Rapids, where Brown played. I told him that Brown should avoid the Badgers. Hopefully Brown finds a good spot to land. According to my buddy he's a good kid.

Probably not what he did but what he said. Hopefully it was just a fight because if he said something that offended someone his life could be ruined.

Rumor now about him throwing a sucker punch at a younger player necessitating an ambulance.
I do want to emphasize that's a rumor and I have no inside info.

I say sign him up right now!

5* OL with a major reason to beat Wisconsin? Hell yeah! He’d look great in FULL BANANA!

If he has problems with anger help him direct it at the Badgers. (Jk on the anger thing)

Rumor now about him throwing a sucker punch at a younger player necessitating an ambulance.
Good point. It's a rumor.

Though if there's anything that we've learned from recent firings of the Frost and Chryst? The info coming out after they're fired was all negative.

Really any firing of a Head Coach of a team that's not in a major media market? The wagons are gonna circle around the new Coach. Wouldn't be surprised to read anything negative that will come out about Brown.

Though nothing will come out about Local Boy Hero Leonhard. Unless of course he starts losing again next year.

Last edited:

I say sign him up right now!

5* OL with a major reason to beat Wisconsin? Hell yeah! He’d look great in FULL BANANA!

If he has problems with anger help him direct it at the Badgers. (Jk on the anger thing)
Maybe not.

Even before this whole incident he was a big disappointment.

5* passed up by newer players. Whiffing on run blocks and etc.

Good point. It's a rumor.

Though if there's anything that we've learned from recent firings of the Frost and Chryst? The info coming out after they're fired was all negative.

Really any firing of a Head Coach of a team that's not in a major media market? The wagons are gonna circle around the new Coach. Wouldn't be surprised to read anything negative that will come out about Brown.

Though nothing will come out about Local Boy Hero Leonhard. Unless of course he starts losing again next year.
eh, happens everywhere. See Mike Zimmer - the media did everything they could to trash him once he was gone. Even now, every time something good happens there's commentary about why O'Connell is so much better than Zimmer.

eh, happens everywhere. See Mike Zimmer - the media did everything they could to trash him once he was gone. Even now, every time something good happens there's commentary about why O'Connell is so much better than Zimmer.

Comparing the media in Lincoln, Madison and the Twin Cities? Bad example. The media was trashing Zimmer way before he was fired. Though you're right about it ratcheting up after he was gone. He was no longer a source and the team seemed happy feeding him to the sharks.

Though if your argument is that if Zimmer was doing what Frost was allegedly doing while he was a head coach it wouldn't have gotten out?

Eh, that would be a novel argument.

Comparing the media in Lincoln, Madison and the Twin Cities? Bad example. The media was trashing Zimmer way before he was fired. Though you're right about it ratcheting up after he was gone. He was no longer a source and the team seemed happy feeding him to the sharks.

Though if your argument is that if Zimmer was doing what Frost was allegedly doing while he was a head coach it wouldn't have gotten out?

Eh, that would be a novel argument.
I guess all I meant was that any time a coach is fired, the media seems to make a real effort to pile on them.
And yeah I think Vikings media coverage in the Twin Cities is probably at least on par with badger coverage in Madison. Lincoln a whole different story.

Brown never lived up to his high school rating.
Having type 1 diabetes is tough to control when you are a college OL.
He also had Rudolph as an OL coach which may have added to his lack of development.
His performance was so bad in the WAST game that was quickly replaced.
In any event, he is gone and I doubt that he will be picked by a major program.

Top Bottom