Trevor Mbakwe speaks on his status, trial, Memphis and the Gophers

oh I was also next to trevor when maturi told him he would play. Therefore he lied. So unless you were there with us.. which i am assuming your not his mother.. then dont tell me what is factual and what is not.

I believe you, people don't believe it but Maturi is a world class d-bag. Most of these people are enthusiastic fans who just want to see Trevor play for the gophs, me included. So sorry for any comments people made that were wrong or untruthful.

There's no doubt Maturi could have at least told him in August he couldn't play, thereby allowing him to transfer. But I still think Trevor's case in asking for a waiver based on that is awfully weak, given the NCAA's usual level of proof in granting such things.

oh I was also next to trevor when maturi told him he would play. Therefore he lied. So unless you were there with us.. which i am assuming your not his mother.. then dont tell me what is factual and what is not.

Trying to see it from the AD's point of view. He has a very gifted player,Trevor, who could really help the team win games and thus make the AD look good. However this player might be found guilty of a felony which if he plays for the team could make the AD look bad. The code of conduct calls for the player to not be in school or play for the team. However if he adheres to the code and tells Trevor he cannot play then Trevor can go elsewhere and play which makes the AD look bad. The AD would look really bad if Trevor is found not guilty and is playing elsewhere helping another school win games.
Solution? Tell Trevor he will be able to play until such time as playing elsewhere is not an option and then cover your butt against a potential guilty verdict by suspending him. Then if Trevor beats the charge or if the charge gets dropped the AD is covered since he could reinstate Trevor to play here not elsewhere. It is simple and only involved lying to one player.

really how is it non factual? i gaurantee i know trevor better than anyone pretty much on this planet. I may not know anything about bball. but i made this account today because im sick of YOU guys not knowing what your talking about. I was sitting next to him when he called and informed maturi in april. .so whats not factual?

Are you his fiancee?

Terribly mis-leading headline to this interview on the front of GopherHole. Yes, Mbakwe said he was a Gopher, but that quote was somewhat taken out of context with the interview. I did not get the impression Mbakwe was going to stay a Gopher after reading the interview.

After talking to Trevor, I got the impression he wanted to be a Gopher 100%, but if he can't play this next year, he's just got a back-up plan. One year of him doing everything that was asked of him without playing was enough.

As for a waiver, I have no idea if they NCAA will grant one or not - they probably won't, because it is so strict. As far as if he should be granted one...personally, I'd say that sitting out an entire year should count as his transfer year. I know it doesn't work that way, but he never played a minute for the Gophers.

Gopherfan1 - do you know if Trevor is closed to graduating? That may be another loophole, if he could graduate by December, then he could do the transfer for 2nd semester, and not have to sit out due to the grad school rule...if that works at the semester. Personally, I didn't even know that summer classes couldn't make you eligible for the next fall.

Why? Why? Why? I just wish we could have had this cat on the team. Reading between the lines, it looks like there is zero percent chance of him ever playing for the Gophers. It's also tough to hear that Royce White has grown an inch and lost weight and Mbakwe plays like the best player on the floor while being recruited by some of the best basketball programs from across the country. This is tough.
Good to hear about Hollins though!

I agree, but will give it a 2% chance.

trevors case for a waiver is about as weak as they get and unless the NCAA completely changes the way they have given them out, then he should have no chance. If they also look into the schools that have been tampering with him since the middle of the season, then this whole case just stinks. Of course this is the NCAA we're talking about so common sense is always in question, but almost all cases of waivers I can remember have usually involved sick family members and a I just can't see under any circumstance how saying I wasn't allowed to play because I had a felony assault trial hanging over my head is gonna get any sympathy. i would think the NCAA would applaud how MN held him out.

Mike Pilgrim got a waiver to play at Okla St in 2009-10 after Calipari pulled his scholarship. No family illness. Pilgrim had sat out transfer year at UK then Calipari "kicked him to the curb" so he petitioned NCAA for waiver.

Mike Pilgrim got a waiver to play at Okla St in 2009-10 after Calipari pulled his scholarship. No family illness. Pilgrim had sat out transfer year at UK then Calipari "kicked him to the curb" so he petitioned NCAA for waiver.

Did he have a felony assault charge hanging over his head, Minor Contact Of Tubby?

Did he have a felony assault charge hanging over his head, Minor Contact Of Tubby?

No, Numb Nut. Very few players have that. YOU might, but not many players do.

Johnny Gopher opined there had to be a family illness for NCAA waiver.

There doesn't. Pilgrim is an example.

No, Numb Nut. Very few players have that. YOU might, but not many players do.

There doesn't. Pilgrim is an example.

Thanks for clearing that up, Minor Contact If Any With Tubby.

I read that he said, "almost all cases of waivers I can remember have usually involved sick family members"... that's a far cry from "opined there had to be a family illness for NCAA waiver." Are you making things up again, FOT/MCWT?

It's OK. I'm just happy Lazar Hayward was drafted in the first round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So ridiculous. Okay since I'm a woman.. tell me your name and ill go tell the police you hit me. Then your boss can fire you since I said you did it it will be a "felony charge". Only my word against yours. And then people can blog about how you shouldn't get your job back since a lady said u hit her. A randomn lady who you never saw in your life. A random lady who said she saw you in miami when you were in minnesota. And said you hit her at 3.54 the exact minute phone records show you were talking to your fiance. Because that's what happened. A charge doesn't mean anything. Stop throwing around felony charge like it means something because it could happen to anyone. Thanks.

Also. Roy. I cannot speak on my identity. Gopher lady.. yes he has about another semester left of work to do and hell begin working on his masters.

I read that he said, "almost all cases of waivers I can remember have usually involved sick family members"... that's a far cry from "opined there had to be a family illness for NCAA waiver." Are you making things up again, FOT/MCWT?

It's OK. I'm just happy Lazar Hayward was drafted in the first round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost identical words. Only a Nub Nut would think otherwise. Plenty of those (NN) around.

So ridiculous. Okay since I'm a woman.. tell me your name and ill go tell the police you hit me. Then your boss can fire you since I said you did it it will be a "felony charge". Only my word against yours. And then people can blog about how you shouldn't get your job back since a lady said u hit her. A randomn lady who you never saw in your life. A random lady who said she saw you in miami when you were in minnesota. And said you hit her at 3.54 the exact minute phone records show you were talking to your fiance. Because that's what happened. A charge doesn't mean anything. Stop throwing around felony charge like it means something because it could happen to anyone. Thanks.

I just really hope he has as good of a lawyer pleading his case as well as you do, so this can be over with. This really frustrates me about the legal system, if this is true (and there's no reason to believe it's not) it should be an open and shut case.

Also. Roy. I cannot speak on my identity. Gopher lady.. yes he has about another semester left of work to do and hell begin working on his masters.

Worst case scenario, if this doesn't get cleared up, he can transfer at semester for grad school. I hope it doesn't come to that - as a Gopher fan, we can use Trevor more than just about anyone, and as a human being, I think he's a good kid and would love to see him wear maroon and gold after waiting so patiently.

A randomn lady who you never saw in your life.A random lady who said she saw you in miami when you were in minnesota. And said you hit her at 3.54 the exact minute phone records show you were talking to your fiance. Because that's what happened.

So what's been reported that Trevor was in Miami at the time of the incident isn't true? The reports all are specific ( that I can remember ) that Trevor was there and left the following day for Minnesota after receiving threats.

So was Trevor not picked out of a lineup per this report?

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/68579302.html

Perhaps you could fill us in the details that we're missing?

Too bad that is actually how it works tho ... just ask the Duke Lacrosse team, Kobe Bryant, Ben Roethlesberger, etc.

All three were sexual assault charges that were never found guilty and yet their reputations are tarnished probably forever, and some even faced/got suspensions.

I'm not saying for certain that any or all of the females in the cases were lying, but either way they were never found guilty in court, yet are all viewed unfavorably by a lot of people including their boss.

Its just the way the world works ... it is unfortunate that one persons word can nearly ruin anothers life, true or not.

Was No he there at the time of the assault.. it was the school year.. but a month or so later she called the police saying trevor was at the complex and it ended up being his teammate.. and trevor was in mn. Also the photo lineup can no longer be used in court since she was googling pics of him n his teammates before she picked him out

Also something I keep seeing that annoys me.. trevor never fled.. his coaches were telling him that guys were driving around looking for him. He got mulitple death threats on facebook. He stayed at his asst coachs house one night.. then his family and some coaches convinced him to fly home the next day because they were worried.

Was No he there at the time of the assault.. it was the school year.. but a month or so later she called the police saying trevor was at the complex and it ended up being his teammate.. and trevor was in mn. Also the photo lineup can no longer be used in court since she was googling pics of him n his teammates before she picked him out

Thank you but I don't understand your first sentence. I remember hearing that Trevor's phone records were central to his defense. I ( assume ) maybe you meant that, yes, Trevor was in Miami, and that he was talking to his fiance at the time in which the assult took place?

Also something I keep seeing that annoys me.. trevor never fled.. his coaches were telling him that guys were driving around looking for him. He got mulitple death threats on facebook. He stayed at his asst coachs house one night.. then his family and some coaches convinced him to fly home the next day because they were worried.

I also believe that Trevor did the right thing in leaving Miami for his safety regardless of how it may have appeared.

I'm saying that yes he was in miami at the time of the attack on the phone after he walked home with friends to the complex he shared with them. Then I'm saying a month later when trevor was in mn, the girl called the police and reported she saw trevor when he was home in mn. She was getting him confused with his teammate multiple times.. the one who plays in kentucky.

I'm saying that yes he was in miami at the time of the attack on the phone after he walked home with friends to the complex he shared with them. Then I'm saying a month later when trevor was in mn, the girl called the police and reported she saw trevor when he was home in mn. She was getting him confused with his teammate multiple times.. the one who plays in kentucky.

Gotcha. Thanks. There was a roster with pictures that I saw and it looked like several of Trevor's teamates looked very similar. Tough question - Do you believe Dodson may have been responsible?

I actually cannot say.. but maybe that makes my opinion obvious lol. But there's definitely some interesting facts favorable to trevors case that are surfacing.

I actually cannot say.. but maybe that makes my opinion obvious lol. But there's definitely some interesting facts favorable to trevors case that are surfacing.

I hope they're able to catch the person that did it. It seems, from what I've read, that Trevor has a strong defense. Speaking spiritually, I believe everything happens for a reason. Somewhere down the line, maybe years from now, this experience will all make perfect sense. Tell Trevor to hang in there. :)

Top Bottom