Trevor Mbakwe speaks on his status, trial, Memphis and the Gophers

Good work Nadine. Surprising that neither of the beat writers have gone out to Pulley to talk with him.

Can anyone tell me how he and Hoff played tonight? I'm also curious about how Colt, Rodney, and the freshman did.

Can anyone tell me how he and Hoff played tonight? I'm also curious about how Colt, Rodney, and the freshman did.

Heard Mbakwe did really well and played like the best player on the court. Also heard that Hollins was very impressive and looks like he could be a serious contributor to the team next season. I'm sure there will be many more opinions as people see them play more and more.

Why? Why? Why? I just wish we could have had this cat on the team. Reading between the lines, it looks like there is zero percent chance of him ever playing for the Gophers. It's also tough to hear that Royce White has grown an inch and lost weight and Mbakwe plays like the best player on the floor while being recruited by some of the best basketball programs from across the country. This is tough.
Good to hear about Hollins though!

Good work Nadine. Surprising that neither of the beat writers have gone out to Pulley to talk with him.

Thank you. Shooter, Myron and Chris Monter were all there tonight. Shooter and Monter interviewed him and Myron may have, but I didn't see it. I honestly didn't think he'd be allowed to interview, so I just asked him to talk off the record at 1st, then he said he could do an interview. Big thanks to BleedGopher for helping me get it up so fast - it was a team effort.

Very well - Hoff lit it up a little bit towards the end and was hitting quite a bit of 3's. I only caught the 2nd half, so I can't really go in-depth as far as chemistry goes. As opposed to what people were saying about Royce, Trevor didn't look like he missed a bit - the kid is in phenomenal shape.

Mav and Elliot were there too. Honestly, I didn't recognize Mav, we found out after the fact that he played, so he didn't stand out enough to me to notice him. Elliot, I did notice, he's super tall and skinny, but was rather athletic for a 7 footer. He played defense very well...and from the 10 minutes I saw him, I was impressed. I think if he reshirts this year, puts on some weight, he can be a nice player for us.

Rodney played in the 2nd game - when I came home to finish this interview.

Thank you. Shooter, Myron and Chris Monter were all there tonight. Shooter and Monter interviewed him and Myron may have, but I didn't see it. I honestly didn't think he'd be allowed to interview, so I just asked him to talk off the record at 1st, then he said he could do an interview. Big thanks to BleedGopher for helping me get it up so fast - it was a team effort.

Very well - Hoff lit it up a little bit towards the end and was hitting quite a bit of 3's. I only caught the 2nd half, so I can't really go in-depth as far as chemistry goes. As opposed to what people were saying about Royce, Trevor didn't look like he missed a bit - the kid is in phenomenal shape.

Mav and Elliot were there too. Honestly, I didn't recognize Mav, we found out after the fact that he played, so he didn't stand out enough to me to notice him. Elliot, I did notice, he's super tall and skinny, but was rather athletic for a 7 footer. He played defense very well...and from the 10 minutes I saw him, I was impressed. I think if he reshirts this year, puts on some weight, he can be a nice player for us.

Rodney played in the 2nd game - when I came home to finish this interview.

Well thanks much for that, I take it Colt and Nolen didn't play?

Pretty good Nadine. I thought it was your best interview.

Thank you - but I wouldn't go that far! If it was...my best is only "pretty" good, haha ;)

Well thanks much for that, I take it Colt and Nolen didn't play?

I didn't see either of them - they could have played last night, I wasn't there last night. Diddy and I were asking where Nolen was too.

Very good interview Nadine, I found it surprising that Trevor would talk about his case like that. I hope that if Trevor is not guilty of the charge he's been accused of that he'll be playing for the Gophers.

Didn't make it tonight but read some tweets;

http://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN - Of MinnesotaPreps.com & GopherIllustrated.com

Hollins had 6pts but showed good athletic abilty. Maverick had 2pts with three airballs.
about 2 hours ago via txt

Elliott Eliason had a dozen points with ten boards and worked hard around the cup. Hoffarber had 18 with 3 3s.

Trevor Mbakwe has been interviewing with TC media for 20 mins after his game. Scored 30 pts tonight.

There is no doubt that Tubby added some nice pieces in Eliason and Hollins. Both are working hard on both ends
about 3 hours ago via txt

Elliott Eliason has 8pts and is working hard, austin Hollins looks like a great athlete
about 3 hours ago via txt

Trevor has been a complete beast with 17 points, Hoffarber has 2 3s and 10 pts, Mitch Ohstad has been exceptional as the EV Playaz are up.

Very good interview Nadine, I found it surprising that Trevor would talk about his case like that. I hope that if Trevor is not guilty of the charge he's been accused of that he'll be playing for the Gophers.

Thank you - I was too. Honestly - everything about him exudes innocence - his openness, demeanor, he's just very pleasant and honest. I have always thought he was innocent - and tonight reassured that for me - but I'm not the judge or jury. I've found that most people, in general, get very defensive when they lie or are guilty, he's not like that at all.

On a side note, I can't help but think how difficult this year has been for him. Being away from the game he loves, cheering his teammates on, working out and practicing every single day so he's ready for his return...and he has been very poised and mature about it. Being older than him, I don't think I would have handled myself as well as him if given those circumstances.

Again, another good get Nadine. My take is this legal case either begins in July or a decision will be made to let Trevor play until the case actually takes place. IMO Trevor starts for the Gophers this season and plays lights out. Also, Trevor has been keeping business on the court well before the HP Pro Am. He played on a team in a tournament associated with Lifetime Fitness of late.

MinneMike your prediction seems the most probable and we can just pray that Trevor truely is not guilty.

I've always known Trev was a man among boys...this damn case just needs to get done so there is no question he can come play here where he wants...also, I would've hoped Maturi would talk to Trev and let him know what he's thinking instead of having to read it in the paper.

x2. This thing feels like he is going to play as a Goph this year regardless. Unless he's incarcerated.

I know it's just HP, but that stat line from Mav was a little disappointing. It was nice to read the Trevor interview though. I thought it was a nice selection of questions.

It seems like there's always some kind of a lack of communication with Joel. My favorite quotes of his are when he basically says he has no idea what's going on (when he should know).

I've always known Trev was a man among boys...this damn case just needs to get done so there is no question he can come play here where he wants...also, I would've hoped Maturi would talk to Trev and let him know what he's thinking instead of having to read it in the paper.

I get the feeling the only way Mbwake stays a Gopher is if his waiver is denied. It doesn't even sound like it is a sure thing if the waiver is denied that he stays with the Gophers.

Terribly mis-leading headline to this interview on the front of GopherHole. Yes, Mbakwe said he was a Gopher, but that quote was somewhat taken out of context with the interview. I did not get the impression Mbakwe was going to stay a Gopher after reading the interview.

The title should have read: "I'm a Gopher, but not for long."

Terribly mis-leading headline to this interview on the front of GopherHole. Yes, Mbakwe said he was a Gopher, but that quote was somewhat taken out of context with the interview. I did not get the impression Mbakwe was going to stay a Gopher after reading the interview.

It's hard to say. I think if he gets his waiver he goes to Maturi and gives him one last chance to change his mind, then bolts if Joel says no, or (more likely) refuses to make a swift decision. He seems suprisingly confident in getting the waiver though. I'm not sure why. It seems unlikely to me.

Anyway, your impression may be correct. But you also didn't have the impression the Gophers would win when they were up on Bucky by 16 at half-time, so they're subject to doubt. :D

I am 100% behind Trevor, BUT, resorting to extortion to get him to stay with the Gophs is pretty ridiculous. With that being said no one who cares about the football, hockey, or basketball programs thinks Maturi is any good.

GH: How has Tubby been through all of this?
TM: He wants me to play. He has been great, absolutely wonderful. Nice to see him say this. Keeps my hopes alive that he'll stay here.

GH: If you did transfer if your trial gets pushed back, will you be able to play this year?
TM: I would file for a waiver with the NCAA and I would know within 30 days if I would receive it and there would be a good chance of it.

Does anybody in the know have any info about where Trevor is getting this impression? I'm certainly no expert, but I think he has next to no chance of playing with a felony charge.

This is the kind of waiver that gets approved -- where a parent has cancer and needs caretaking.

This is the kind that gets denied -- where a grandfather has cancer.

Where is Trevor getting the idea that the NCAA will allow him to play immediately? What are his grounds for a hardship -- Maturi's responsible handling of the situation while Trevor has delayed his case for a year? How does he possibly think the NCAA is going to rule on his behalf?

why wouldnt they pass it?
maturi knew about his case in april. he gave trevor the impression he could play until november a week before the first game, therefore he couldnt transfer. its not a ncaa guideline that you cant play with a felony pending.. it is a AD decision. Maturi could have over ruled it. And even if you think he should not have played with a felony charge.. than maturi should have let him know sooner than a week before. He had plenty of time. And he gave trevor no choice but to waste a year of his life. And some other schools WOULD have let trevor play.

trevors case for a waiver is about as weak as they get and unless the NCAA completely changes the way they have given them out, then he should have no chance. If they also look into the schools that have been tampering with him since the middle of the season, then this whole case just stinks. Of course this is the NCAA we're talking about so common sense is always in question, but almost all cases of waivers I can remember have usually involved sick family members and a I just can't see under any circumstance how saying I wasn't allowed to play because I had a felony assault trial hanging over my head is gonna get any sympathy. i would think the NCAA would applaud how MN held him out.

That's not the point.. the point is that maturi told trevor he would play even though he had the charge.. and then changed his mind at the last minute when it was too late for trevor to transfer. Trevor also has documentation of his frequent calls to the ncaa throughout the year when he was asking if it was too late to transfer. So it looks good on his part that he is not just trying to get it to play for memphis. Also consider the fact that trevor is going to be a senior in college and has never really played a season of d1 bball. To you guys its just bbal. To him its his life. He's not doing this to say poor me I couldn't play. He's doing this to say.. the way the U handlede it was unfair. They knew about the charge in april. That's 9 months maturi waited. BS

Some of your beliefs are simply nonfactual.

Top Bottom