little cory update

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
I know, another Cory Joespeh thread, sorry ....It sounds like Cory has already decided on a school but has only told a select few people who aren't talking. Coaches haven't been told anything, especially MN coaches who really have no idea where they stand with Cory right now. It has been a three team race for awhile. Most people think Texas but really everybody is just guessing. I think MN still believes they have a shot but they realize now that they need to look at other guard options:confused:. Brust would be the next option but right now Wisconsin is the favorite to land him although that could change after coaches have a chance to visit with him. As for Oto, opinions are all over ther place on him, some think he's a hidden gem, others that he's a good player but will need a few years, and others think he should be visiting Mankato, even MN coaches not in consensus on him. Nothing has changed on Noreen and MN and no movement with Cody Larson either. Our situation changes every day though so who knows what next week will bring, at least we will know the Cory Joseph saga will be over, he may announce tonight although haven't seen anything official on that.

Brust would be the next option. no movement with Cody Larson either.

Brust and Larson are NOT options unless they want to pay their own way. Big Ten transfer rules apply here because they signed a Letter of Intent. Big brew-haha over the entire situation started yesterday. Emails sent from Big Ten office to the entire conference. Suffice it to say, it sounds like Brust and Larson will play outside of the Big Ten.

They were let out of their LOI. No transfer rules apply.

SH

I'm afraid Cory is going to be like S Henderson - we were considered but no cigar. Hope I am wrong!

Johnny

I know, another Cory Joespeh thread, sorry ....It sounds like Cory has already decided on a school but has only told a select few people who aren't talking. Coaches haven't been told anything, especially MN coaches who really have no idea where they stand with Cory right now. It has been a three team race for awhile. Most people think Texas but really everybody is just guessing. I think MN still believes they have a shot but they realize now that they need to look at other guard options:confused:. Brust would be the next option but right now Wisconsin is the favorite to land him although that could change after coaches have a chance to visit with him. As for Oto, opinions are all over ther place on him, some think he's a hidden gem, others that he's a good player but will need a few years, and others think he should be visiting Mankato, even MN coaches not in consensus on him. Nothing has changed on Noreen and MN and no movement with Cody Larson either. Our situation changes every day though so who knows what next week will bring, at least we will know the Cory Joseph saga will be over, he may announce tonight although haven't seen anything official on that.

Threads from you are always welcome.

I hope the best for Cory but I wish he would announce soon. The anticipation is killing me.

Go Gophers.

I hope Tee09 was one of the select few.

JohnnyGopher - any chance that Justin Cobbs stays?

They were let out of their LOI. No transfer rules apply.

Yes tranfers rules do apply. It is a conference rule, even if they were granted a release. That's why there was a big ruckus from the Big Ten Conference yesterday and emails sent to all conference schools.

If joseph doesnt come here oh well, we still have the best defensive point gaurd in the big ten in my opinion, and devoe could also take the point and move blake to SG, giving RW jr. a starting spot. Also if joseph goes to Texas i want to kill Barnes. lol

One of my buddies would be among the "select few." Provided Cory wasn't BSing him, we should be pretty happy in a few hours.

Yes tranfers rules do apply. It is a conference rule, even if they were granted a release. That's why there was a big ruckus from the Big Ten Conference yesterday and emails sent to all conference schools.

If transfer rules apply, someone better let Bo Ryan and Tubby know as they are visiting with Brust this weekend

If transfer rules apply, someone better let Bo Ryan and Tubby know as they are visiting with Brust this weekend

Did you read what I said? The Big Ten notified all conference schools via email yesterday. Bo and Tubby know now. Or, they should.

here's hoping tee09's 'this guy i trust' is alot better than the recent ones weve had to deal with (Dodd, marcus, etc)

:)

One of my buddies would be among the "select few." Provided Cory wasn't BSing him, we should be pretty happy in a few hours.

Does "we" refer to Texas fans, Nova fans, or Minnesota fans.

Honestly, from an objective standpoint it seems likely that Cory will sign here. Let's look at the signs over the past few months:

-Cory has always stated that him and Devoe wanted to play together in college
-Mom Joseph loves MN and Tubby
-Devoe is thriving here
-Cory said he wants to go to a place where he feels comfortable
-Mo Walker, who didn't even list MN on his final list in February, suddenly had a change of heart in late March and had now signed a MN LOI

In my mind, the Mo Walker signing seems like the biggest sign. I don't know. Thoughts?

Setting Yourself Up

Tee, you are setting yourself up to be a message board legend or an all-time goat with that post. Here's hoping for legend status!

That's OK. If it doesn't work out you can change your Moniker (say Tee10).

Honestly, from an objective standpoint it seems likely that Cory will sign here. Let's look at the signs over the past few months:

-Cory has always stated that him and Devoe wanted to play together in college
-Mom Joseph loves MN and Tubby
-Devoe is thriving here
-Cory said he wants to go to a place where he feels comfortable
-Mo Walker, who didn't even list MN on his final list in February, suddenly had a change of heart in late March and had now signed a MN LOI

In my mind, the Mo Walker signing seems like the biggest sign. I don't know. Thoughts?

I don't think there is such thing as an 'objective standpoint' in a situation like this. Minnesota is still a possibility, and that is a great position to be in as of now. After that, I'm not sure that there are any facts and circumstances that can be objectively rationalized as a reason that Cory Joseph will choose one school or another.

For example, you say that a reason why Cory Joseph is likely to come to Minnesota is that Devoe is thriving here... even if one would accept the claim that Devoe is thriving here (which is a whole different topic), that's not objective - it may be a positive or a negative... what does Cory think about it? What does the family think about it? What does Devoe think about it? Perhaps Cory is looking at Minnesota and saying, "Devoe could make this his team.. he can be the leader of a good team. Great position for him to be in, I don't want to come and maybe steal some of my brother's thunder. I will let him do his thing, I will do mine. He's making his name there and I don't want to take away from that."

PS - to describe the Maurice Walker signing as simply a 'sudden change of heart' on Mo's part is an inappropriate characterization.

PPS - for a recent local-related example of brothers that talk up how great playing together would be, how they dreamed of it, how the parents would love it, etc... think back to Saku Koivu and the Wild. There are many angles that facts and circumstances can be viewed from.

Does anyone really know when Cory is going to announce is decision. I know we have heard after the Jordan Brand classic, but is there a specific date?

Does anyone really know when Cory is going to announce is decision. I know we have heard after the Jordan Brand classic, but is there a specific date?

maybe he announcing it tonight after the game. the Jordan Brand Classic is tonight on ESPN2.

Did you read what I said? The Big Ten notified all conference schools via email yesterday. Bo and Tubby know now. Or, they should.

This was posted this morning, and these guys are usually pretty plugged in on the Illinois recruiting scene. It was my understanding that Brust getting out of his LOI would be treated differently than a normal transfer, such that UW and Minnesota would not be restricted in regards to Brust accpeting a scholarship.

"Based on information that we received from Mike Weinstein, the head coach and CEO of the Rising Stars traveling team that Brust plays for, there are five schools that clearly stand out above the rest at this time. They are Boston College, the University Of Wisconsin, the University Of California, the University Of Minnesota and the Hawkeyes."

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page39.html

TJGopher looks to be right, Minnesota has cancelled there in home visit with Brust after talking it over with the compliance office. Not sure if other schools or the kids will try to fight this. Pretty crazy considering Wisconsin, MN, Northwestern, and illinois we're all going after Brust hard and Ohio St. and Indiana we're making a strong push for Cody Larson. Doesn't seem fair with the coaching change. got a mini cory update an hour ago:mad:

TJGopher looks to be right, Minnesota has cancelled there in home visit with Brust after talking it over with the compliance office. Not sure if other schools or the kids will try to fight this. Pretty crazy considering Wisconsin, MN, Northwestern, and illinois we're all going after Brust hard and Ohio St. and Indiana we're making a strong push for Cody Larson. Doesn't seem fair with the coaching change. got a mini cory update an hour ago:mad:

Bad news?

Top Bottom