ESPN ranks Gophers' recruiting class 9th

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
I would love to hear how we are going to spin this one?! I love it how Brewster said: "Some guys just want to leave the state and there really isn't anything you can do about it."
That's crap! Seantrel and Beau Allen left because the Gopher football program is a mess, and getting worse and worse every season under that silly man trying to "coach" the team. I thought Brewster was a recruiting wizard? Why have his classes gotten worse and worse every season?

wow I hope your wife doesn't have to listen to you whine like that. Beau Allen left because his parents have Wisconsin ties. He's regressed this year. If Henderson went to high school in Columbus he probably still would have gone to USC, he hasn't qualified academically, and who wants to put up with his dad.

If you look at next years class we are off to a great start with the number one recruit in the state and a potential 5 star running back out of Illinois. Just imagine the recruiting class we could get with an 8 win season.

C'mon man, everyone here knows that recruiting rankings don't mean anything....unless of course they're favorable for the Gophs. The last 2 years, the rankings were "extermely accurate" according to most rubes but this year they are not. Funny how it works outs that way :cool02:

As said dozens of times before, arbitrary numbers and stars mean nothing (See: Boise, UConn, Cincy, NW). This is perhaps the deepest recruiting class we have had. A lot of solid depth from these guys, and there are always under the radar guys who turn into primetime players. Recruiting services have done nothing but given the detractors another number to boo and hiss about. This is our year to establish that we can achieve.

I would love to hear how we are going to spin this one?! I love it how Brewster said: "Some guys just want to leave the state and there really isn't anything you can do about it."
That's crap! Seantrel and Beau Allen left because the Gopher football program is a mess, and getting worse and worse every season under that silly man trying to "coach" the team. I thought Brewster was a recruiting wizard? Why have his classes gotten worse and worse every season?

How about a link? I only see letter grades and on that basis we tied for 6th with Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin. All four with a "C" grade. Illinois and Indiana were tied with "C-". PSU was first with an "A-", followed by Michigan "B+", OSU "B", and Iowa and Michigan State each with a "B-".

As said dozens of times before, arbitrary numbers and stars mean nothing (See: Boise, UConn, Cincy, NW). This is perhaps the deepest recruiting class we have had. A lot of solid depth from these guys, and there are always under the radar guys who turn into primetime players. Recruiting services have done nothing but given the detractors another number to boo and hiss about. This is our year to establish that we can achieve.

Unreal. I cannot believe you actually spun this. Wow!
I don't even know where to start. Boise State, Cincy and UConn can win on a consistent basis with 2 and 3 star talent. Those two programs that play in conferences less competitive than the Big Ten.
Players succeeding that are 2 and 3 star talent out of HS are the EXCEPTION not the RULE. Across the board, teams with more 4 and 5 star talent have better records. It's just a fact. Just signing a bunch of players doesn't mean that it's a deep class. It's all about QUALITY, not QUANTITY. It's simple, Minnesota cannot compete with the better teams in the Big Ten, much less the Big 12 and SEC. Many times, the Gophers are left with third and fourth-rate players that were simply by-passed by the bigger and better programs. Answer this: Why didn't Seantrel Henderson, Beau Allen, Michael Floyd and Bryce McNeal not sign with Minnesota?
There is a reason that the people who evaluate high school prospects have jobs. They don't give out 4 and 5 stars to kids that don't deserve them (98 percent of the time). I bet you would argue how accurate these evaluators are if Minnesota's recruiting class was highly ranked. Wouldn't you?
Finally, look at the schools that Minnesota was competing with to sign many of these guys. For instance, why is it that Parish had offers from Western Michigan and Iowa only. Western Michigan! What!? It's sad to see that no player the Gophers signed was ranked in the top 20 in the nation for their position. That's honestly sad.

They signed good RBs and bolstered the O-line. They didn't get many blue chips, but the talent level of the team is going to rise or stay even with this class, and odds are they'll win seven or eight games next year.

7-8 wins next year? Look at the schedule and show me 8 wins. They will only be favored in one B10 game (NU at home) and we all know what a pain in the a$$ NU can be.

Actually, this class wasn't that bad and I am NOT a big fan of Tim Brewster, either. There are some good prospects in it and hopefully they become good players for us. The class would have been better if the season hadn't gone sour on us toward the end. That killed a lot of momentum and made a lot of kids that had committed re-think their choice. For the kids who decided to become Gophers, I think they made a great choice and I hope nothing but the best for all of them. Again, this will be Brewster's make or break season. If he has a bad year he simply will not be able to recruit enough quality players to compete. I will say this though -- if he can somehow pull the offense together and this is entirely possible with an offensive coordinator who MIGHT know what he is doing and he can get the young defensive players to be ready to play right away, he could still become successful here.

Actually, this class wasn't that bad and I am NOT a big fan of Tim Brewster, either. There are some good prospects in it and hopefully they become good players for us. The class would have been better if the season hadn't gone sour on us toward the end. That killed a lot of momentum and made a lot of kids that had committed re-think their choice. For the kids who decided to become Gophers, I think they made a great choice and I hope nothing but the best for all of them. Again, this will be Brewster's make or break season. If he has a bad year he simply will not be able to recruit enough quality players to compete. I will say this though -- if he can somehow pull the offense together and this is entirely possible with an offensive coordinator who MIGHT know what he is doing and he can get the young defensive players to be ready to play right away, he could still become successful here.

ESPN thought it was bad in comparison with the rest of the Big Ten but thought it was solid. It's been posted 3-4 times already, but here it is again. You might see why the OP didn't want anybody to read it.

"Here's ESPN's "final say" on Gopher Recruiting. Closer to Rivals in stars and a step closer to Scout in Big Ten ranking.

9. Minnesota Golden Gophers
The Golden Gophers did not end up in the top-25 like in recent years, but the big surprise is how low they finished in the Big Ten. The class is deep with solid three-star talent, led by top-25 RB Devon Wright (Coral Springs, Fla./J.P. Taravella) who has the size and speed to help bolster a lackluster rushing attack in 2009. Top-20 guard Jimmy Gjere (New Brighton, Minn./Irondale) is technically sound and has a great reach which could help him also play tackle. The Golden Gophers went into the state of Florida, signing several prospects including sleeper DB Tyrone Bouie (Sanford, Fla./Seminole), a savvy corner who could play early as a nickel back. "

Doesn't sound like they hated they class does it?

There is no doubt that this class should be considered a disappointment. Tim Brewster was brought in with the understanding that he'd have to learn how to coach, but he'd bring in excellent recruiting classes while learning on the job. This year, his recruiting regressed despite having an on campus stadium to show off (for the record, I always thought the stadium was an overrated aspect of recruiting and that W's and L's mattered more). I think you can clearly see that Brewster really struggled in the final few weeks of recruiting. The Gophers missed on a number of guys after the season ended and had to take guys like Hutton (took a visit to Sam Houston State) and Perry ( was considering a visit to Stony Brook) to fill out the class. This is NOT what Tim Brewster was brought in to do.

I can't blame Brewster for losing out on (at one time) the no.1 recruit in the nation. Now losing Shumpert and Kirksey to Iowa? Failing to hold on to either Huff or Hawkins? These are the types of kids that Brewster needed to land to have a strong class.

7-8 wins next year? Look at the schedule and show me 8 wins. They will only be favored in one B10 game (NU at home) and we all know what a pain in the a$$ NU can be.

MTSU, South Dakota, NIU, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State, Illinois. There's 7 games that are winnable at least. And we have our best chance to win over a big team (OSU, PSU, USC) this year having them all at home. And i think we beat the hogeyes this year. I'm not saying there's no chance we have a 3-4 win season, but it's not ridiculous to think we might win 8.

look at our schedule every year, why would we ever win 7-8 games? hmmm... maybe we're not as horrid as you seem to think we are.

There is no doubt that this class should be considered a disappointment. Tim Brewster was brought in with the understanding that he'd have to learn how to coach, but he'd bring in excellent recruiting classes while learning on the job. This year, his recruiting regressed despite having an on campus stadium to show off (for the record, I always thought the stadium was an overrated aspect of recruiting and that W's and L's mattered more). I think you can clearly see that Brewster really struggled in the final few weeks of recruiting. The Gophers missed on a number of guys after the season ended and had to take guys like Hutton (took a visit to Sam Houston State) and Perry ( was considering a visit to Stony Brook) to fill out the class. This is NOT what Tim Brewster was brought in to do.

I can't blame Brewster for losing out on (at one time) the no.1 recruit in the nation. Now losing Shumpert and Kirksey to Iowa? Failing to hold on to either Huff or Hawkins? These are the types of kids that Brewster needed to land to have a strong class.

Well said, EG. We did get some good players that I am excited to see but the late season swoon really hurt us. If we have a bad year next year, this class is going to look pretty good though because Brewster simply won't be able to recruit even this caliber because the kids will lose their faith in him, just as many fans are. And if he can't recruit he is in really big trouble because that is supposedly what he does best.

First off relaaaaax, lol. Rivals (The top site) has us 5th. Allen didn't leave because the program's a mess, that's just "sky is falling" chicken clucking. Allen's family allegiances to Wisconsin are well documented and it came as no surprise to anyone that he decided on the Badgers. The program is getting worse and worse every season under Brewster? Even Reusse wouldn't agree with that. 1-11, 6-6, 6-6. Call it a lack of progress if you like but getting worse every season is just you being emotional. Pull yourself together and step away from the ledge. Tim Brewster is your coach for another 3 seasons, enjoy the ride.

Agree with Costa, all your bitching and whining is not going to change the head coach, you, just like the rest of us, have no effect on Gopher football.

Why didn't Seantrel Henderson, Beau Allen, Michael Floyd and Bryce McNeal not sign with Minnesota?

MTSU, South Dakota, NIU, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State, Illinois. There's 7 games that are winnable at least. And we have our best chance to win over a big team (OSU, PSU, USC) this year having them all at home. And i think we beat the hogeyes this year. I'm not saying there's no chance we have a 3-4 win season, but it's not ridiculous to think we might win 8.

look at our schedule every year, why would we ever win 7-8 games? hmmm... maybe we're not as horrid as you seem to think we are.

They will not win road games at Purdue, MSU, and Illinois. They may get lucky and win one of those but that's it. Purdue and MSU will likely be much improved next year and who knows about Illinois. I see 3-1 NC and then 2 B10 wins so my over/under is 5 total wins. The offense is an absolute joke and a mess and the defense is replacing everybody. Not exactly the recipe for 7-8 wins.

Why didn't Seantrel Henderson, Beau Allen, Michael Floyd and Bryce McNeal not sign with Minnesota?

Why? Because the program hasn't won in 40 years. Next year Olsen will be the top MN prospect and he will be signing with MN. Happy now? Did you also forget that MN got the number 2 recruit in WI and they got our number 4 recruit? I'll take that trade.

You are just one of these guys that likes to spin everything. When Brewster recruited well, you were negative, when he doesn't, you're negative. Admit it, you are one of these "let's change the coach" as the answer to every team or program problem.

They will not win road games at Purdue, MSU, and Illinois. They may get lucky and win one of those but that's it. Purdue and MSU will likely be much improved next year and who knows about Illinois. I see 3-1 NC and then 2 B10 wins so my over/under is 5 total wins. The offense is an absolute joke and a mess and the defense is replacing everybody. Not exactly the recipe for 7-8 wins.

Well damn, looks like I don't have to waste 12 afternoons watching football this year. Can you tell me the specific margins of defeat as well? Could use a little extra cash.

Why didn't they sign? They all wanted to be somewhere else. They were looking to go somewhere not the U. I wish BGF you would make the same choice and go somewhere else.

i think we'll be much improved as well. the offense won't be a joke and the defense replacing everybody is a little deceiving, as most of the new starters already got plenty of playing time last year. so i'm saying 7-8 wins still

Why didn't Latwan Anderson, Jordan Hicks, Spencer Ware, or Braylon Heard sign with Ohio State this year?

Why didn't James Hurst, Roderick Smith, Dyjuan Lewis, Blake Luders, Isaiah Lewis, or *James Manuel* sign with Indiana, Purdue, or Notre Dame?

Why didn't Kyle Prater, C.J. Fiedorwicz, Matt Milton, Christian Lombard, Taylor Graham, Corey Cooper or Jimmie Hunt sign with Northwestern or Illinois?

Why didn't *Tom Parish* or Mike Hardy sign with Wisconsin?

Michigan missed out on William Gholston, Michigan State missed out on Devin Gardner, and both didn't land Robert Bolden and Dior Mathis.

And why did Penn State, the most heralded class of the Big Ten this year, miss out on Sharrif Floyd and Cullen Christian?

Why didn't Latwan Anderson, Jordan Hicks, Spencer Ware, or Braylon Heard sign with Ohio State this year?

Why didn't James Hurst, Roderick Smith, Dyjuan Lewis, Blake Luders, Isaiah Lewis, or *James Manuel* sign with Indiana, Purdue, or Notre Dame?

Why didn't Kyle Prater, C.J. Fiedorwicz, Matt Milton, Christian Lombard, Taylor Graham, Corey Cooper or Jimmie Hunt sign with Northwestern or Illinois?

Why didn't *Tom Parish* or Mike Hardy sign with Wisconsin?

Michigan missed out on William Gholston, Michigan State missed out on Devin Gardner, and both didn't land Robert Bolden and Dior Mathis.

And why did Penn State, the most heralded class of the Big Ten this year, miss out on Sharrif Floyd and Cullen Christian?

This has nothing to do with the question that I asked, does it? You are simply too afraid to wake up and smell the crap that is Gopher football right now. The fact is, top level talent in the U's own back yard routinely skips town. But yes, keep telling yourself that the nation's No. 21 best tackle as the cornerstone of a recruiting class is going to turn things around.

And here I thought teams determined wins and losses during the season. But not in your world, huh?

Your next to last sentence provides definitive proof that you bring little to the discussion other than a personal axe to grind and a slippery grasp of FB in general and the Gopher team in particular.

Last year WAS last year. Neither you nor I have absolute knowledge of what the offense WILL look like this season. The remark about defense borders on the ignorant. Surely a serious fan like yourself realizes the upcoming season's defensive unit features good athletes who have seen significant playing time. You wouldn't ignore their contributions just because it better suits your purpose to talk only about the players who have left would you? No, I didn't think so.

I've got another "fact" for you. You're the kind of board member who couldn't find 7 or 8 wins on next year's Gopher schedule if we had dropped out of the B10 and joined the Sun Belt. No credibility.

This has nothing to do with the question that I asked, does it? You are simply too afraid to wake up and smell the crap that is Gopher football right now. The fact is, top level talent in the U's own back yard routinely skips town. But yes, keep telling yourself that the nation's No. 21 best tackle as the cornerstone of a recruiting class is going to turn things around.

Right now??????? BGF you act like the sky is falling...you are 40 years late to the party. This Gopher team was dismantled over 20 years by an administration that didn't think Football was important to higher education at a public university. Obviously they were and are wrong. We finally at least have a President that cares about the entire college experience and is willing to not stand in the way of a new stadium and proper facilities...if not fully support them.

We need more than three years to recover the last 40....is Brewster the guy? I don't know...but I do know that he is the man doing the job now and there doesn't seem to be anyone breaking down the door to get his job that we could gaurantee would be an upgrade...so I can wait a couple more years...hell I've waited 40 already...

I am not one of those guys who hangs on the rankings of players and/or teams that is done by recruiting services like Rivals or Scout. At least not like some of you out there who loved it when Rivals had us like #17 with Brewster's first class and now trash the services as being completely out to lunch.

With that said, it is a very disturbing trend for me to see Rivals rank MNs three classes at # 17, #38 and #68 in the nation (approximate rankings). If that isn't a negative regression line than I don't remember my undergraduate statistics very well, but nonetheless, I don't like it.

No question Brewster is losing momentum.

Top Bottom