***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Fleck being a loser doesn’t mean Claeys wasn’t a loser. He was. Stop fetishizing the mediocrity of Claeys and Kill.

Claeys was 9-4 and didn't lose to Illinois by 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly it is on the players and the coaches but in the end the players have to make the plays. Guys like Huff have been destroyed all game, LBs are not getting off blocks and guys are missing tackles left and right. Just a horrible performance all the way around.

I don't see how Smith survives this season, will be very surprised if he is still the DC next year.

Who recruits, selects, and prepares the players?

PJ- this isn't the MAC anymore. Year -2.
Pretty sure the top MAC teams would be crushing the Gophers today. This is just another low point in Golden Gopher history.

Totally devoid of coaching. There is talent in D

There is not a ton of talent on D, there are some pieces but the D-Line is still sorely lacking with the best player by far being a LB playing out of position. Fully healthy the secondary is Ok, but right now it is a mess. And although the LB's are solid in most cases they have been invisible in this game with the exception of the times where they are missing tackles or not getting off of blocks. At some point the players have to win the one on one battles and right now Illinois is winning all of them on both sides.

An embarrassment.

I've said again (and again) that the five games beginning with Nebraska would determine the season. Today was the day to make a solid step to right the season and move toward a (minor) bowl berth.

And we looked like a bunch of ****in' clowns against a horse**** team.

JTG

Accurate!

Let's face it, you can blame the players all you want, and sure, they make (or not make) the plays but who coaches them? Who teaches them what they should do? It's the coaches. All you people forget to realize that Claeys' recruits weren't even highly ranked, yet his defenses always kept us in the game and most of the time carried us. This is most definitely a coaching issue, and let's face it... Fleck is just not a defensive coach, and so we're relying on Robb Smith, who just isn't good at all, and he has no clue on how to improve these guys that we have. Don't forget that Kill pretty much brought his whole staff over when he came here... Fleck didn't even bring his defensive coordinator with. What does that tell you? It tells you he didn't even trust his own defensive coaches, so maybe he was just lucky the previous two years at western Michigan. Remember how good Cashman was two years ago and when Fleck took over, Cashman hardly saw any playing time, and then this year he's back to playing a lot? Coaches do not even know what they have. Just think how much better Cashman and Coughlin could be with a good coach. If Smith is here next year, prepare for the same thing.

Fleck has reached Brewster 2.0 status in my book.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

+1000

I fukkin hate the PJ hire now LOL
Man o man I wanted to like it, this bit has reached the outer orbit of stupidity

Just a bad match up today.....

I agree.

Robb Smith doesn’t seem to know how to stop anyone running a spread without playing a ton of man. And we don’t have players to run man.

Any spread team is going to light us up right now. Our best remaining chance at a win is honestly probably Wisconsin.

Should it drive me crazy that anyone on this board is defending anyone associated with this program, players or coaches, when we are losing by 31 to Illinois? Illinois!

And still gave up 30+ to Rutgers and Purdue in Claeys last season. And still finished on average in 5th place in the B1G west. Man I miss those days..

Dude it’s no use going down this road.

The last memory of the previous regime is the defensive effort in a meaningless bowl game. Recency bias.

Can’t expect the coaches to get the players on the field in time.

The worst we get the more criticism of Kill AND Claeys. Interesting

Who recruits, selects, and prepares the players?

Can't pin it all on the coaches until all the players are theirs. The very clear deficiencies roster wise on this team are not Fleck's fault.

That said I think Smith gets fired after this season because I don't think he is getting it done scheme wise and figuring out how to make the players he has work.

Are we stuck on "Year Zero"? Lovie Smith just got additional life in the game taken away from PJ Fleck.

I don't see why he should be loyal to Robb Smith from his Rutgers days. Also, When PJ Fleck was recruiting all those WRs, I kept wondering what about the Defense?

The Defense as it stands today look like it is on Life Support. We need better Defensive Linemen and Defensive Backs.

Coyle to Fleck, "I sure hope to he** you know what your doing"

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

+1000

I fukkin hate the PJ hire now LOL
Man o man I wanted to like it, this bit has reached the outer orbit of stupidity
The red light came on for Brew in the 2008 Iowa debacle. PJ beat him to it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Can't pin it all on the coaches until all the players are theirs. The very clear deficiencies roster wise on this team are not Fleck's fault.

That said I think Smith gets fired after this season because I don't think he is getting it done scheme wise and figuring out how to make the players he has work.
Agree with this.
I’d fire smith. I don’t think the administration should tell him he has to though.

Top Bottom