Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I acknowledge that all teams have attrition between now and fall football- but you can't have more than 85 signed at anytime- so 5 of our commits will not be signing or there's five players being let go by NSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh yeah you can. You think teams just kick people off the team three days before signing day lol?

I know PJ had nowhere near enough time to show us his capabilities of attracting highly ranked recruits- but I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the way things ended this weekend. The way that Kyle and other writers were going on and on about "key" commits coming I was expecting a big surprise out of nowhere or a landmark recruiting win against ND or something along those lines. Maybe there's still some intrigue on the way?!

Obviously even if the kids are exonerated PJ is planning on dropping at least 5-6 of them. May make for some discord in the locker room?

Can you drop someone on scholarship just because? If they're cleared I mean...

Uh yeah you can. You think teams just kick people off the team three days before signing day lol?

So as long as we're down to the 85 by summer school we can oversign with impunity at this time (up to the 28 max)? Interesting- wasn't aware that it worked that way.

So as long as we're down to the 85 by summer school we can oversign with impunity at this time (up to the 28 max)? Interesting- wasn't aware that it worked that way.

I'm not certain, but I believe the rule is that you must be at 85 or fewer by the time fall camp opens. I remember a few years back, Saban signed 26 on NSD despite having 14 open spots, and somehow massaged the roster to 85 by the fall.

I'm not certain, but I believe the rule is that you must be at 85 or fewer by the time fall camp opens. I remember a few years back, Saban signed 26 on NSD despite having 14 open spots, and somehow massaged the roster to 85 by the fall.

Wow, that seems brutal for the kids that get "cut" after passing up other schools. At fall camp you're not catching on anywhere else.

There was a Tweet earlier that Gophers had 5 new commits today. I've seen 4 announced. Who's the 5th do you suppose? Not sure who else visited

Anyone heard from Boye Mafe?

Not the incoming recruits

Wow, that seems brutal for the kids that get "cut" after passing up other schools. At fall camp you're not catching on anywhere else.

You wouldn't be sending anybody home in the summer or fall for poor performance. You get to 85 after spring practice, before the summer, by explaining to those that are not a good fit that there won't be any playing time for them. You offer suggestions and referrals, offer help and highly recommend them for a new school before school gets out in the spring. You "massage" it and get to 85 counting the incoming people. It's not the incoming recruits who are moving on.
In addition, guys quit, guys decide to transfer on their own, guys have permanent health issues which forces them to "retire", guys get homesick, guys don't like the new coaches and a whole bunch of other reasons but it happens this winter/spring...not days before the first game. And because of all of these possibilities maybe nobody is told they are not a good fit to get the numbers to 85.

I know PJ had nowhere near enough time to show us his capabilities of attracting highly ranked recruits- but I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the way things ended this weekend. The way that Kyle and other writers were going on and on about "key" commits coming I was expecting a big surprise out of nowhere or a landmark recruiting win against ND or something along those lines. Maybe there's still some intrigue on the way?!

Hey, we just beat out FAU and UNI for recruits!! :clap:

I was hoping for an Armstrong or Munford, but I think flipping Harris and landing Marsette are big pluses for the last weekend and I think Silver will contribute right away. Schirck is probably a developmental guy and let's hope Paup can spot talent as well as he could play. Add to that Handy-Holly, Beck, Paulson, Douglas, and Estes in the last week and I think it's pretty solid work. I hope we can keep Creamer (or add Robinson if Creamer goes elsewhere). Fleck kept the Minnesota commits, brought his top WMU kids with him, and managed to land a couple of guys where Claeys and Company had started the recruiting (Handy-Holly and Paulson) so we hold out hope.

I always hope for more and hope a couple of big splashes are in order for next year, but this is a decent, balanced class.

Three recruits that I'd like to be able to get commitments from - DT Malcolm Robinson, CD Trey Creamer, and WDE Boye Mafe, any combination of these recruits will be just fine.

Off-topic a little here - PJ Fleck and his coaching staff have put recruiting in ramming speed!

I don't ever recall any previous Gophers coaching staff recruit three classes at the same time. I am amazed they pulled in the 2017 haul that they did in less than five weeks. On top of that, they are already developing a relationship with HS coaches and recruits for the next two classes.

The one mild disappointment is that we probably are not getting Thayer Munford. However, I am excited about the hire of Ed Warriner (hope to see his son Edward in M&G). The OL recruiting will be absolutely critical in the coming classes to mount any challenge in the B1G. These guy can't rest for a moment. The rest of the conference are trying to get better including Purdue and Illinois.

If we can get recruiting at the mid level or higher tier, we can seriously see the Gophers regularly beating Iowa, Northwestern, and most importantly Wisconsin.

That is if these set of coaches can coach in the B1G. We cannot talk about stability until we start winning consistently with these coaching staff.

I don't know about you guys, but at first I was excited about the 8-9 wins the last four seasons and bowl appearances. I was bum when Claeys was fired. But, this recruiting gambit just got my attention. I am getting more warmed up and excited about the prospects for the future.

Long suffering fans can empathize with me. The idea that the Cubs will never win the world series has been put to rest, and the idea that hope springs eternal in Gopherland will be debunked!

You have a few dead Gopher coaches smiling from rodent heaven. Time to dream bigger dreams.

Yes, this is how it works.

The players who sign this week are not on scholarship until the summer. At that point, we have to be down to 85.

Can you drop someone on scholarship just because? If they're cleared I mean...

Um, yes...Claeys kicked a wide receiver off the team this year for a "violation of team rules" but coaches can kick anyone off the team they want.

Um, yes...Claeys kicked a wide receiver off the team this year for a "violation of team rules" but coaches can kick anyone off the team they want.

No, they can't.

Your reason for kicking someone off a team cannot violate the Constitution.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Gophers are at 28 commits now with Creamer. So either he sticks, or if he decommits, Mafe would likely take his spot. This class is pretty much done.

I acknowledge that all teams have attrition between now and fall football- but you can't have more than 85 signed at anytime- so 5 of our commits will not be signing or there's five players being let go by NSD.

No one gets a four-year scholarship, they're always just a single year that renews each season. A coach (think Saban) can decide to simply not renew a scholarship and tell that to the player and then the player has to decide what to do. There's also the deal where a school (think Alabama) has offered some high school kid, kid has committed and stayed true throughout the whole process, and the day before NSD someone else the school wants more decides to flip and come there, so the committed kid who stayed true to his word and didn't take all those other visits is now left hanging without a scholarship. To help get rid of the first situation, they should let the school have more than 85 kids on scholarship but for those over the 85 limit they can't participate in football at that school ever again (if they stay they still get a full ride but their playing days at the school are over). For the later NSD case, they should let kids and universities sign the letter of intent whenever they want to during the kids senior year. There's no NSD, once you and the university are ready to commit, sign it and you're set.

No one gets a four-year scholarship, they're always just a single year that renews each season. A coach (think Saban) can decide to simply not renew a scholarship and tell that to the player and then the player has to decide what to do. There's also the deal where a school (think Alabama) has offered some high school kid, kid has committed and stayed true throughout the whole process, and the day before NSD someone else the school wants more decides to flip and come there, so the committed kid who stayed true to his word and didn't take all those other visits is now left hanging without a scholarship. To help get rid of the first situation, they should let the school have more than 85 kids on scholarship but for those over the 85 limit they can't participate in football at that school ever again (if they stay they still get a full ride but their playing days at the school are over). For the later NSD case, they should let kids and universities sign the letter of intent whenever they want to during the kids senior year. There's no NSD, once you and the university are ready to commit, sign it and you're set.

Problem is that you create a situation where more men are receiving scholarships than women and you are in violation of title IX.

It can as long as you don't say that's why....

I won't say anything more than this on this thread, if you want to respond, just copy and paste your response to the appeals thread.

But no, no they cannot kick people off of teams for reasons that would violate the Constitution.

You're right, they could lie and say they are kicking them off for another reason, but then you see you are making my point. They cannot kick someone off for whatever reason they want.

Tactically, if one of the accused is exonerated by the appeals process, it would be incredibly dumb for the school/team/department to kick the player off the team for a violation of team rules. You open yourself up to an incredible amount of liability if you fire someone/kick someone out of school/remove a scholarship for a reason that would violate the Constitution and you had the audacity to try to circumvent that core American principle.

It's almost like a whistleblower in a company, that company better not fire that person after they've come forward.

No, they can't.

Your reason for kicking someone off a team cannot violate the Constitution.

You've said variations of this before, and I don't understand this at all. I'm not an attorney, so perhaps you can help me figure it out.

My wife works for a large corporation. If she snagged an interview with a local news station, and promptly declared on camera that the CEO of this organization is a talentless hack, and the rest of the upper management are worthless flunkies, she would certainly be within her constitutional rights to do so. Nobody is hauling her away in handcuffs and leg irons. She won't spend a single second behind bars. She is on constitutionally safe grounds.

But she also wouldn't have a job anymore.

It's certainly my impression that team rules (see that as corporate rules) are not completely symmetrical with constitutional rules.

You've said variations of this before, and I don't understand this at all. I'm not an attorney, so perhaps you can help me figure it out.

My wife works for a large corporation. If she snagged an interview with a local news station, and promptly declared on camera that the CEO of this organization is a talentless hack, and the rest of the upper management are worthless flunkies, she would certainly be within her constitutional rights to do so. Nobody is hauling her away in handcuffs and leg irons. She won't spend a single second behind bars. She is on constitutionally safe grounds.

But she also wouldn't have a job anymore.

It's certainly my impression that team rules (see that as corporate rules) are not completely symmetrical with constitutional rules.

The corporation is a private entity. The football team at a public university isn't.

While technically true almost all programs treat football as a 4-year scholarship. Recently there has been a movement afoot to formalize this. Saban has been somewhat notorious on finding ways to excuse kids off their roster once their lack of potential contribution becomes apparent- but has usually found locations for the athlete to finish their career or determined that the student needed to retire for medical reasons and were thus covered for cost of education.

While technically true almost all programs treat football as a 4-year scholarship. Recently there has been a movement afoot to formalize this. Saban has been somewhat notorious on finding ways to excuse kids off their roster once their lack of potential contribution becomes apparent- but has usually found locations for the athlete to finish their career or determined that the student needed to retire for medical reasons and were thus covered for cost of education.

I think the Big Ten formally announced guaranteed four year scholarships a few years back.

Trey Creamer just announced that he will make his commitment at 6 pm.

He's so gone. We just got a bunch of DBs to commit. He sees the writing on the wall. On a diff note, is it concerning at all to anyone that 247 has our class at #52 national and #12 big ten? This is after all the commits yesterday.

Top Bottom