Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Hmielewski is an incredibly gifted athlete. Yes, he has dealt with the injury bug, but don't confuse that for being "brittle" or "made of glass." The kid goes 100% on every play. It's what makes him great, but also what opens him up to injury. He'll need to learn at college level to protect himself going up for a catch or across the middle. That's just not how he is wired though.

No doubt, but if that's a problem in high school, it's likely to be compounded at a D1 school. I just get the feeling he might end up being similar to Gentry. A guy who has a ton of ability but can never get on, or stay on the field due to injury. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Just noticed that RB Jalen Holston (3 star VT Commit) is scheduled to visit Minnesota on January 27.

Just noticed that WR Jalen Holston (3 star VT Commit) is scheduled to visit Minnesota on January 27.

He's listed as a running back on 247, not WR. Wow, does that kid have a lot of offers. For P5:

VT
Michigan State
North Carolina
Duke
Florida
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Mississippi State
Missouri
NC State
Oregon State
Purdue
Rutgers
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Virginia
West Virginia

How many guys is he going to sign? Should we assume at least the original 4 or 5 are gone? Legit question for those in the know, how many you think he will sign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many guys is he going to sign? Should we assume at least the original 4 or 5 are gone? Legit question for those in the know, how many you think he will sign?

I think we will sign 28 players, a full class.

That was my first thought as well. However, all of these guys are shorter running backs in the 5'9"-5'11" range. Where else would they play? Maybe CB...

Yeah if we move them... CB might be a bit dangerous and really if we need CB's we've been able to get them...

I think we will sign 28 players, a full class.

Couple of questions.

Is anyone keeping track of who is actually committed and how many spots are left open?

Do suspended players (1 year) count against scholarships for that year? Or does their scholarship only open up if they leave?

Word on Twitter is Fleck is seeing a bigtime recruit today... any ideas who that is?

I saw on Twitter a few minutes ago that Brett Kitrell opened up his recruitment per Ryan Burns

Would be shocked if they flipped him given the UO commitment and ND offer.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This is going to be cut throat right up until signing day. If the staff has a chance to pick up a recruit that they believe is an upgrade over a recruit from the previous staff then we will see decommits. They only have so many spots to give out and they want the best class they can get.

Don't think they're anywhere near 28 yet though are they? I realize the number is very fluid.

This is going to be cut throat right up until signing day. If the staff has a chance to pick up a recruit that they believe is an upgrade over a recruit from the previous staff then we will see decommits. They only have so many spots to give out and they want the best class they can get.

Cut throat is what we need right now.

Oh, I like your Avatar pic a lot.

Don't think they're anywhere near 28 yet though are they? I realize the number is very fluid.

I don't think we'll know until signing day. Things are moving too fast to truly know who's still in and who is out.

Would be shocked if they flipped him given the UO commitment and ND offer.

I wouldn't be. Coaching change at Oregon, and both Oregon and ND are coming off bad years. We've seen how well Fleck can recruit. Plus this kid was already considering MN before. Plus he's a legacy.

Demetrius Douglas from Oregon.

Doogie:
Texted w/ dad, who is ex-#Gophers WR Omar. Fleck and assistants Ciarrocca and Simon visiting w/ Demetrius today. @RyanBurnsMN on top of too.

News Herald: High school football: Brush’s Tyrone Chambers following P.J. Fleck to Minnesota

Tyrone Chambers has never visited the University of Minnesota.

That’s OK to him. As long as Coach P.J. Fleck is going there, so is the 6-foot-3, 325-pound defensive lineman from Brush.

Chambers has given his verbal commitment to the Golden Gophers. More accurately, Chambers has reaffirmed his commitment to Fleck after Fleck recently took the head coaching position at Minnesota.

Chambers had previously committed to play for Fleck at Western Michigan.

“I had a dream of playing in the Big Ten,” Chambers said. “I didn’t know how it would end up, but I’m really happy that I’ll be playing in the Big Ten now.

“I’ve never visited Minnesota. I’m just going along with Coach Fleck.”

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/2...rone-chambers-following-pj-fleck-to-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

per CBS: Paulson talks Gophers pledge

Louisville (Ky.) Christian Academy tight end Jacob Paulson was really feeling Minnesota when he visited in December.

The hiring of P.J. Fleck pushed him over the top.

Wednesday night, the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Paulson went ahead and made it official, committing to the Gophers.

The one-time Western Kentucky commit also had offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Purdue and UCF. Other programs like LSU were flirting with him late in the process.

"Loved it when I was up there," Paulson said, adding "it's great" to be part of Fleck's first class at Minnesota.

Fleck made a quick impression with his message.

"That he liked me and plays with a lot of energy and wants to use a tight end and liked I can run and block," Paulson said of the message.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/paulson-talks-gophers-pledge/

Go Gophers!!

Doogie:
Texted w/ dad, who is ex-#Gophers WR Omar. Fleck and assistants Ciarrocca and Simon visiting w/ Demetrius today. @RyanBurnsMN on top of too.[/QUOTE

If he is half the player Omar was...sign him!

Does anyone have any insight as far as the recruiting budget that they are allowing with Fleck? I know that info might not be available but if I remember with Kill, that was an issue as far as the traveling budget and all that goes along with visiting with recruits at their home/school. I am not even sure a real number was ever released but I am curious to know if Fleck demanded more of a budget than Kill/Claeys had because if I remember correctly we had the smallest budget in the Big10.

Top Bottom