All Things Nathan Reuvers Recruitment Thread - UPDATED: wisconsin commit

LOL - I'm going to go first - He's not that good anyway! We didn't need him.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see him as someone who will need a couple of years to adjust to D1 BB - and needs to get a lot stronger. Sadly, I see Reuvers as a classic Wisconsin type of player - by his Jr & Sr year, he will be a solid complimentary player in a team-oriented system.

Given everything going on with the Gophers, I wonder if they could have waited for Reuvers to develop.

And the comment about the "culture" at the U is very telling. Any coach going after the same player as Pitino is going to use this stuff as negative recruiting.

per Pioneer Press: Reuvers said Gard’s persistence after the offer made the difference. “It definitely showed a lot,” Reuvers said. “He came out to watch me play when he wasn’t even sure if he had the job yet.” Since then, Gard has called Reuvers about once a week in addition to coming to Lakeville a few weeks ago for an at-home visit, two things Gophers coach Richard Pitino did not do. “I don’t think (the Gophers) recruited me hard enough,” Reuvers said. Reuvers averaged 20 points, eight rebounds and four blocks a game as a junior and led the Panthers to a second-place finish in the state tournament, averaging 17.3 points and 8.3 rebounds. He said Minnesota showed interest, but not nearly as much as the Badgers. Reuvers added that Gard flying to Minnesota on two occasions showed how interested he was. Pitino would have had a 30-minute drive to Reuvers’ house. Add the recent turmoil that the Gophers have experienced and Reuvers felt Minnesota was not the right fit. “I definitely see all that stuff that is going on there,” he said. “I just don’t feel like I would be good in that culture.” http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/18/lakeville-north-nathan-reuvers-wisconsin-badgers-over-umn-gophers/ Go Gophers!!

Wait. Gaard flew to MN? Where is the outrage? Why hasn't BA been fired? Come on Strib! You report on the Badgers success, now time to really go after them!

Man, I'm starting to hate Lakeville.

Can't blame the kid though. I can't say I wouldn't do the same unless I had some sort of tie to Minnesota.

Liked Reuvers game and he fits well at wisconsin but would much rather have Theo John and it seems like the staff is more focused on him as well.

I see him as someone who will need a couple of years to adjust to D1 BB - and needs to get a lot stronger. Sadly, I see Reuvers as a classic Wisconsin type of player - by his Jr & Sr year, he will be a solid complimentary player in a team-oriented system.

^This x2. I bet he'll redshirt, not play much his RS freshman year, the be ok as a RS soph, then be a solid starter his junior/senior year. The luxury of being able to be patient :(

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Although as someone who has never seen any of these guys play and going strictly off of racial stereotypes (admitting it openly and honesty lol)

How does his game compare to either of the Hurt brothers? Is there a redundancy in skill set? Not saying Pitino is destined get the younger Hurt, but even with the turmoil, the family does still seem very positive towards Richard after he personally went to their home to address many of these issues with them.

Although as someone who has never seen any of these guys play and going strictly off of racial stereotypes (admitting it openly and honesty lol)

How does his game compare to either of the Hurt brothers? Is there a redundancy in skill set? Not saying Pitino is destined get the younger Hurt, but even with the turmoil, the family does still seem very positive towards Richard after he personally went to their home to address many of these issues with them.

Reuvers isn't really similar to Michael at all. Michael is a wing player, while Reuvers is a post player. I would say Reuvers and Matthew are pretty similar in skill set and talent level, even with Matthew being 2 years younger. Both are post players with good finesse moves in the post, though they are not very strong. Decent defenders and rebounders. Have a weapon in a good shooting range, though I wouldn't say either are knock down shooters.

I've only seen both of them play several times though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Matthew Hurt is just as good if not better than Reuvers and he is two years younger.

Think we went a day without the program getting ripped on locally in the press. I can see "not the right culture" everywhere tomorrow. Well, it was a good run.

Wait. Gaard flew to MN? Where is the outrage? Why hasn't BA been fired? Come on Strib! You report on the Badgers success, now time to really go after them!

Inquiring minds really want to know if he topped off the tank of his rental car before he returned it.

per Pioneer Press:

Reuvers said Gard’s persistence after the offer made the difference.

“It definitely showed a lot,” Reuvers said. “He came out to watch me play when he wasn’t even sure if he had the job yet.”

Since then, Gard has called Reuvers about once a week in addition to coming to Lakeville a few weeks ago for an at-home visit, two things Gophers coach Richard Pitino did not do.

“I don’t think (the Gophers) recruited me hard enough,” Reuvers said.

Reuvers averaged 20 points, eight rebounds and four blocks a game as a junior and led the Panthers to a second-place finish in the state tournament, averaging 17.3 points and 8.3 rebounds.

He said Minnesota showed interest, but not nearly as much as the Badgers. Reuvers added that Gard flying to Minnesota on two occasions showed how interested he was. Pitino would have had a 30-minute drive to Reuvers’ house.

Add the recent turmoil that the Gophers have experienced and Reuvers felt Minnesota was not the right fit.

“I definitely see all that stuff that is going on there,” he said. “I just don’t feel like I would be good in that culture.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/1...n-reuvers-wisconsin-badgers-over-umn-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

These comments are upsetting to me. With the state of our program right now, I completely understand not getting recruits. It's going to be an uphill battle, but that means that you should be fighting even harder for them. To not show some love to a kid in your backyard is not acceptable. I've heard this with some other recruits too, and when you're at the bottom of the Big 10, you cannot get out worked.

If he's not driving the 30 mins to visit him, then what's he spending those miles on the non refueled rental cars for?

The interview reads to me like Reuvers wasn't a priority for Pitino. He's got two scholarships available (as of now) for the 2017 class and one of those almost has to be reserved for a point guard. That means there is currently one spot available for a big between John, Reuvers, and Sims. I think it's entirely possible that Pitino simply prefers a different type of big with that scholarship.

Personally, I would have loved to have Reuvers as this program needs guys who profile as scorers and efficient scorers who can hit the 3 in particular. I don't know if Reuvers will have success at the next level or not, but if he does have success it will be on the offensive end of the court putting the ball in the basket.

The interview reads to me like Reuvers wasn't a priority for Pitino. He's got two scholarships available (as of now) for the 2017 class and one of those almost has to be reserved for a point guard. That means there is currently one spot available for a big between John, Reuvers, and Sims. I think it's entirely possible that Pitino simply prefers a different type of big with that scholarship. Personally, I would have loved to have Reuvers as this program needs guys who profile as scorers and efficient scorers who can hit the 3 in particular. I don't know if Reuvers will have success at the next level or not, but if he does have success it will be on the offensive end of the court putting the ball in the basket.

Agreed. Well put.

These comments are upsetting to me. With the state of our program right now, I completely understand not getting recruits. It's going to be an uphill battle, but that means that you should be fighting even harder for them. To not show some love to a kid in your backyard is not acceptable. I've heard this with some other recruits too, and when you're at the bottom of the Big 10, you cannot get out worked.

Would love to know what other recruits feel this way. And as mentioned, is it Pitino not putting in the work or just not having Reuvers as a top priority? I think RP has shown plenty of in town recruits "some love". I guess with the 2016 class he outworked everyone and the 2017 class he's gotten lazy.

This kid could easily be another Jon Leuer. He should do really well there.

Would love to know what other recruits feel this way. And as mentioned, is it Pitino not putting in the work or just not having Reuvers as a top priority? I think RP has shown plenty of in town recruits "some love". I guess with the 2016 class he outworked everyone and the 2017 class he's gotten lazy.

I'm not sure that's the case. If Pitino felt that Reuvers wasn't coming here, as has been speculated, or if he feels that John or Sims are better fits in his system, he should have been working a lot harder on those players. Let's wait and see how this all plays out in the end before we lose faith in our 2017 class.

One other thing, and this isn't the right place for it, but can you imagine if what happened with the Alabama football players had happened up here, what would have been done? I know that at one time that Saban was still evaluating the facts and hadn't even suspended the two yet. If that would have happened here, besides getting rid of the players, some would have the coach's head on a platter.

I bet a bunch of kids Pitino didn't want felt like he didn't recruit them hard enough. I felt like that hottie at the bar didn't give me a chance too.

How can we claim Pitino is getting out worked when he tripled his recruiting travel budget. You're all a bunch of flip flopping have it both way jokes. He didn't want Reuvers, period. Reuvers sounds like a taller slighter Joey King. You all hate Joey King.

Why would Reuvers come here? As long as Murphy and Curry are here, he would not have seen much playing time. Theo John on the other hand, can play the 4/5 where I see Reuvers being strictly a stretch 4, at least the first couple years of his college career anyways.

I bet a bunch of kids Pitino didn't want felt like he didn't recruit them hard enough. I felt like that hottie at the bar didn't give me a chance too.

How can we claim Pitino is getting out worked when he tripled his recruiting travel budget. You're all a bunch of flip flopping have it both way jokes. He didn't want Reuvers, period. Reuvers sounds like a taller slighter Joey King. You all hate Joey King.

You are all over the f'n place.

Pitino wanted him period.

Face it, this kid is a big miss, if he went to ND I could understand, but the night Wisco offered in Rochester I had a bad feeling we got beat to the punch and sure enough he's a GD badger. The kid was on twitter several times posting pics where he was decked out in gopher gear. .

You are all over the f'n place.

Pitino wanted him period.

Face it, this kid is a big miss, if he went to ND I could understand, but the night Wisco offered in Rochester I had a bad feeling we got beat to the punch and sure enough he's a GD badger. The kid was on twitter several times posting pics where he was decked out in gopher gear. .

You have no idea if Pitino really wanted him or not. We have two open scholarships with bigger needs at PG and Center than PF. Like I posted above, as long as Murphy and Curry are here, Reuvers wasn't going to even see a whole lot of playing time early anyways.

Sure it sucks that he went to Wisconsin because it is another Minnesota kid going to Wisconsin, but otherwise this isn't the panic inducing event some of you are proclaiming. Reuvers wasn't a priority with our PF recruiting in the last two classes, especially when you factor in the type of PFs Pitino prefers...uber athletic guys.

This class could totally flop if we don't get a solid PG and a big that can play at the 5, but I'm going to wait to see how this plays out.

Not to mention there are good instate power forwards in 2018. Get John or Sims and this is a non issue.

My issue is 2-fold:

1. Theo John and Sims: I'm not a recruiting expert. I've seen both play a bit, but both seem a bit more boom/bust than Reuvers. I tend to lean more toward the bust side as well just off of somewhat recent history. That's Pitino's "style," but I'm not sure I trust it. Murphy has been good and maybe Theo John commits and turns into the next Montrezl Harrell...but Wisconsin keeps taking the safer bets with useful skills and making something of it. We get excited with the shiny object that only works out sometimes.

2. If Pitino is canned, if John/Sims are here due to style fit...how much do you want to bet our next hire is an experienced tactician? Brewster->Kill, Chilly->Frazier->Zimmer, Tubby->Pitino. We like the contrasting hire. How much do those guys fit in then?

As someone who has seen all play a few times...I think Reuvers is the best player of the 3 and his recent rise of offers jives with that. That's why I wish if Pitino was really going for his "fit" I'd still rather just take the best player. Who knows...maybe it's just spin and we knew Reuvers wasn't interested. Hope I'm wrong on most accounts.

I really doubt that Pitino and his crew get outworked. As a journalist you are disappointing. If you think you need to make a statement like this, spell it out, who are these recruits. Otherwise lets consider your opinion as hearsay. Represent your profession, give us facts. How about another article on how much gas Pitino leaves in his rental cars. Actually how about Kaler's culpability in this mess. Did he not sign off on the travel expenses and the buyout. It appears he is sitting in his Ivory Tower covering his butt. Someone started this smear campaign that went national. What is the genesis of these foolish articles on Pitino's travel expenses. That might be more interesting to know.

Good student, MN kid, no character problems, impressive offer sheet and a very good player, I do not buy the who cares if he goes to WI.

I really doubt that Pitino and his crew get outworked. As a journalist you are disappointing. If you think you need to make a statement like this, spell it out, who are these recruits. Otherwise lets consider your opinion as hearsay. Represent your profession, give us facts. How about another article on how much gas Pitino leaves in his rental cars. Actually how about Kaler's culpability in this mess. Did he not sign off on the travel expenses and the buyout. It appears he is sitting in his Ivory Tower covering his butt. Someone started this smear campaign that went national. What is the genesis of these foolish articles on Pitino's travel expenses. That might be more interesting to know.

While I agree that Pitino was unlikely out worked. GL didn't write anything re the misappropriation of funds. She has no responsibility to represent her profession while posting on a message board either.

And Hoop, how am I all over the place? No way Pitino gets outworked in Minnesota. Did he get beat to the punch? Maybe. But the comment that Pitino didn't recruit him very hard is all I need to know. We didn't prioritize Nate. We were either busy dealing with bs or we didn't want him. No way he got out worked in home for someone he wanted.

Top Bottom