How should Kaler/Goetz handle the full time HC hiring process?

How should Kaler/Goetz handle the full time HC hiring process?

• Hire Claeys no matter what happens rest of season

Votes: 75 54.7%
  • Wait and see how season unfolds before making decision on Clayes

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Hire a national search firm and conduct a legitimate national search

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Bring back the Maturi/Mona duo who brought us Kill & Co

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I recall Claeys saying that he'd take a head coaching job IF it was the right fit for him. I don't know if he wants to start his head coaching career at a B10 school, but I don't have issues with Claeys as the head coach. I remember back when we were looking for a head coach, it seemed as if no one wanted to come here. I don't know if that's changed.

If Bo Pellini is hired, how are we going to handle the $5 Bits Of Broken Chair Trophy with his image on it as the former Husker HC?

Nah, he loves his current less stressful coaching gig back in his back yard and collecting money from Nebraska.

It would be a great tie in!

But yeah I agree he likely wants to hang out down home for a bit before he moves again I bet.

I'm in the "wait and see" camp.
As I see it - if Claeys is named head coach, the pros are continuity with the program. The (potential) cons - no change means same offensive staff that many people have issues with.

On the other hand, if they go national search and bring in a new head coach, that probably means a whole new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes, etc - essentially starting over. How does that impact recuiting? only time can tell - plus the issue of players recruited for one system being shoe-horned into a new system.

There are potential issues either way.

I don't think the decision on the next HC an wait for the next AD to be hired. We really can't afford to rush the AD hiring decision, and if you don't start the process until the AD is hired, it's going to be pretty thin pickings.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I recall Claeys saying that he'd take a head coaching job IF it was the right fit for him. I don't know if he wants to start his head coaching career at a B10 school, but I don't have issues with Claeys as the head coach. I remember back when we were looking for a head coach, it seemed as if no one wanted to come here. I don't know if that's changed.

I certainly hope that perceptions are changing. The new facilities, better support from administration should equal a job top assistants would see the U as an excellent opportunity to bring greater success.

All you need to do is look at Claeys and compare him to the other coaches in the Big Ten and think about who players would want to play for.
Claeys would be a Gutekunst move.

Hiring a new AD should be easier now with them getting to make the impact hire of hiring their own Head Football Coach.
Hiring the right AD with the right possible ties to current coaches would be the way to go.

One of the problems is that they almost have to hire a head coach before they hire a permanent AD timing wise, unless they promote Goetz (which I'm not necessarily opposed to). It's tough to hire an AD away from another school during the year, especially during football/basketball season. Obviously that's assuming they're hiring an experienced AD and not some celebrity glad-hander to be the face of the department.

They went on the record as saying they were not planning to hire until next July because of that reason. There's obviously no way they could wait that long to hire a coach.

If I was Purdue and I decided today to fire Darryl Hazell, would I consider Tracy Claeys for the job? If Ferentz resigns amid controversy, would Iowa consider Tracy Claeys? If the answer for 13 of 14 B1G schools is no, you have to start wondering what our answer should be.

I like the guy, I don't want to disrupt what Coach Kill has started, and the fact that the decision will likely be made by an interim AD makes keeping Claeys the easiest option. I'm not convinced it's the right option long term.

Hire Kill as AD and let him hire the head coach. ..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't think the decision on the next HC an wait for the next AD to be hired. We really can't afford to rush the AD hiring decision, and if you don't start the process until the AD is hired, it's going to be pretty thin pickings.

Unless they're hiring Claeys, no coach worth hiring is going to come here until the AD is hired and he knows who he is going to be working for.

If Bo Pellini is hired, how are we going to handle the $5 Bits Of Broken Chair Trophy with his image on it as the former Husker HC?

Nah, he loves his current less stressful coaching gig back in his back yard and collecting money from Nebraska.

I'm not saying I want Pelllini, but I suspect he would go back to coaching in the power five if given an opportunity. Pellini is only 47 years old, he has a lot of coaching time left, and these should be his peak earning years . The longer he stays away from power five, the less attractive he probably is as a power five candidate. Plus, if he is fired from another power five job after five years, he can always get the kind of job he has now.

Michigan hired Harbaugh with an Interim AD (Jim Hackett) who has been Interim AD for almost a year now. I think it is a positive to have a permanent AD to bring in their coaching choice. But, If the current administration believes they can make a great hire they should do it and worry about the AD later.

Hire Kill as AD and let him hire the head coach. ..

I would be shocked if Kill is even considered for the AD position. If it's stress that leads to complications in his health, that wouldn't be a good spot.

Michigan hired Harbaugh with an Interim AD (Jim Hackett) who has been Interim AD for almost a year now. I think it is a positive to have a permanent AD to bring in their coaching choice. But, If the current administration believes they can make a great hire they should do it and worry about the AD later.

I think MI is a little bit different situation (and pay scale) than what we have here.

I would be shocked also. Just wanted to throw it out there. It's been suggested before and could make sense

I would be shocked if Kill is even considered for the AD position. If it's stress that leads to complications in his health, that wouldn't be a good spot.

Yeah that's a horrible job for Jerry.

Jerry already worked himself too hard, and AD is a brutal job in that way. I recall some AD's talking about how they could count on one hand how often they managed to get home for dinner over the course of several years....

I am certain that being an AD is just as stressful as being a head coach. If he can't coach at this point, why would he be able to be an AD?

Mason would never agree to take someone else's staff, he has a large ego and he is also smart enough to know how difficult that would be for him. Although his bud Sherels is at least around at this point...

A better question would be, if Claeys decides he does not want to pursue the job for whatever reason, is there someone from Kill's coaching tree, like Franchione or something, that already operates a similar system and knows Jerry's staff personally, that would consider stepping in as head coach?

To me the obvious solution is you give Claeys a longer-term "interim" deal, i.e. he has the rest of this season and all of next year to prove that he and the rest of the staff can handle the job on a permanent basis. That gives you plenty of time to sort out the AD situation and then you'll have a better idea of where you're at and where you want to go, plus a lot more additional data to consider as to whether keeping the entire staff around for the long haul is the best idea.

To me the obvious solution is you give Claeys a longer-term "interim" deal, i.e. he has the rest of this season and all of next year to prove that he and the rest of the staff can handle the job on a permanent basis. That gives you plenty of time to sort out the AD situation and then you'll have a better idea of where you're at and where you want to go, plus a lot more additional data to consider as to whether keeping the entire staff around for the long haul is the best idea.

Yeah, maybe. Terrible for recruiting though, which Jerry even said in his press conference is of utmost importance.

Holtz and Gutekunst has only coached together for the two years that they were here at Minnesota. That's not at all like with Kill and Claeys.

Yeah, maybe. Terrible for recruiting though, which Jerry even said in his press conference is of utmost importance.

True, but as noted, any of the available options here will have some downside. It's not like Minnesota is hitting it out of the park recruiting right now, anyway, and plenty of interim staffs do just fine in that regard. Instate kids should want to play there anyway, regardless of the who the coaches end up being.

Giving Claeys the full-time job now, just to save one or even two classes that are still likely to finish near the bottom of the conference rankings no matter who the coach is, is a fairly significant gamble. And as someone else noted earlier in the thread, the players coming in this year were targeted specifically to fit Kill's fairly unique system, so doing a wholesale staff change at this point basically wastes that class, anyway.

True, but as noted, any of the available options here will have some downside. It's not like Minnesota is hitting it out of the park recruiting right now, anyway, and plenty of interim staffs do just fine in that regard. Instate kids should want to play there anyway, regardless of the who the coaches end up being.

Giving Claeys the full-time job now, just to save one or even two classes that are still likely to finish near the bottom of the conference rankings no matter who the coach is, is a fairly significant gamble.

I don't pay attention to recruiting as much as others on here, but don't we actually have a very above average recruiting class coming in that is towards the top of the big ten and well-placed nationally?

Yeah, the U is in a very tough spot here. I don't envy Kaler, but this is why he gets paid the big bucks.

While we'd all love to be methodical, weigh pros and cons, etc. I'm not sure we can do that here.

If we try to extend Claeys interim status to next season you hurt recruiting (uncertainty), but you also risk him getting an actual HC offer and no longer having Kill to be loyal to. Does he take those jobs now? Even at a MM? You gain for time in your AD search, but essentially destroy football recruiting for a few years.

K. So do your coaching hire after this season, Claeys or otherwise. Well now you're making a hire without an AD. and you risk bringing in an AD who hates the new coach you hired and wants to hire their own. Or you lose out on an AD candidate who would kind of would have liked to have some say in the hire.

Alright, so just promote Goetz to AD and let her make the football hire. Here you have to decide how much you like her as the AD? Sure it speeds up and eases the football coach process, but how valuable is that if it turns out you hired a terrible AD?

IMO, the best case scenario here is Goetz is promoted permanently after the school year and she hires Claeys full time and both are extremely successful. But if Kaler is at all unsure about Goetz or wants to conduct a real search for an AD then things get dicey. Or if he promotes Goetz and she wants to do a full search. Well you basically lose (probably) at least some of this years recruiting class which is a great class and then bring someone new in already behind on the next class.

So, really, the only true solution is ...

Tony Dungy :)

The U should start out by making 3 phone calls in no particular order to find out if any of them have interest in the job.

Pat Narduzzi
Tom Herman
Justin Fuente

The U should start out by making 3 phone calls in no particular order to find out if any of them have interest in the job. Pat Narduzzi Tom Herman Justin Fuente

I think the U will just have a hard time getting actual interest considering they'd really not have an idea yet who their boss would be. People don't often go to jobs where that's an unknown. Maybe you give them some say in the hire as a selling point, but say doesn't guarantee they get the person they want either. It's a tough spot, lots of moving parts.

I think the U will just have a hard time getting actual interest considering they'd really not have an idea yet who their boss would be. People don't often go to jobs where that's an unknown. Maybe you give them some say in the hire as a selling point, but say doesn't guarantee they get the person they want either. It's a tough spot, lots of moving parts.

Agree. That is why I think the AD hire comes first and if timeline of that hire remains as is Claeys and those on the current staff that want to stay are here at least through the 2016 season.

Nobody else has shown interest in Claeys so why should the Gophers? Hiring Claeys would be typical Minnesota soft minded Gutekunst move that leads to nothing but 6th place in the West.

Nobody else has shown interest in Claeys so why should the Gophers? Hiring Claeys would be typical Minnesota soft minded Gutekunst move that leads to nothing but 6th place in the West.

How do you know this?

I think with our situation, not giving Claeys a shot would be a mistake.

How do we know nobody else has shown interest?

Serious question, how do we know that?

How do you know this? I'd bet there has been interest in hiring Claeys.

Top Bottom