How should Kaler/Goetz handle the full time HC hiring process?

• Hire Claeys no matter what happens rest of season

Votes: 75 54.7%
  • Wait and see how season unfolds before making decision on Clayes

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Hire a national search firm and conduct a legitimate national search

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Bring back the Maturi/Mona duo who brought us Kill & Co

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

Tracy Claeys was at the helm when Coach Kill had to miss games and has done a seamless job. Hire him now and keep the continuity of Jerry Kill's rebuilding.

Am very rarely an advocate of automatically hiring from within for a major program (football/basketball), but in this situation I think the U should roll with Claeys. He's been with Kill a long time, paid his dues, his unit (defense) is the strength of this program, and if the U looks outside who's to say we don't go out and hire another Brewster? I'd like to see Claeys get the permanent gig.

They will do a full search, as they have to. That's without question. Even if they know they plan to hire Claeys the whole way.

I would try to find a guy with the energy of Kill that can mold with the current staff. Who could that be? I don't know, but that would be my first option.

I like the idea of having a search. If the administration decides Claeys and this staff make the most sense, absolutely keep them. But if they have an chance at a guy they believe will take us to the next level, pull the trigger.

I doubt the current staff will be the future staff even if Claeys remains. The focus has to be on the head coach. And, like Beth Goetz, Claeys has been given an opportunity to perform.

Let's take a wait and see approach. It would certainly help with the class of '16 to have the continuity that the recruits are already familiar with and Claeys and Limegrover certainly did a good job of coaching when Kill was on the leave of absence. I just don't want the U to make any knee jerk reactions at this emotional moment, while at the same time, I'd hate to be like Maryland, having interim coaches with one hand on the cell phone and the other trying to coach.

Claeys has paid his dues and deserves the chance to lead this program.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does Claeys even want the job? I know it sounds crazy, but I'm not sure. He has had to have had other opportunities and not pursued them. Also, he does not appear very comfortable handling the PR things necessary as a head coach. Things like the press, where he always appeared very uncomfortable. He will be required to do these things, however, if he assumes the job. He's also necessary if they want to keep the coaching team together. If he really does want it then I really, really hope they give him the opportunity!

This might be Tracy Claeys job to lose and how the season finishes will have a lot to say about it. A national search should be conduct even if ultimately Claeys is hired as head coach.

I can't believe how many people think Claeys should get the job when he has admitted he doesn't want head coaching jobs (according to former players on the radio this morning).

Can Claeys coach a game. Yes.
Can Claeys represent a program well and recruit well. - He's never done it before on his own at any level.

We are supposed to be a Big Ten program at the point when the Big Ten has the very best coaches it's had in 30 years.
It would be very Minnesotan to go ahead and give Claeys the job.

But recruiting would be an absolutely nightmare. It took Kill three years to establish decent recruiting after he yielded big results even with an established head coaching record.

Now you want Claeys to compete with no background against the Harbaughs, Meyers, Dantonios, etc...

Maryland and Illinois are hiring new head coaches. Both will seek people who are better recruiters than Claeys with stronger coaching records.
Somehow people on here think Claeys is going to lead a Big Ten program to prominence all of a sudden?
You people are fooling yourselves.

Yes, he can absolutely coach Kill's players, but the talent drop off of the coming years would sink us to the very bottom of the Big Ten West in 24-36 months.

This might be Tracy Claeys job to lose and how the season finishes will have a lot to say about it. A national search should be conduct even if ultimately Claeys is hired as head coach.

I think you have to let the season play out before making any call on Claeys. I don't think he should be judged on wins and loses but rather how he handles the job now that he is not just the acting head coach while Kill is getting healthy, but is the head coach with no one else to answer to.

The other factor in all this is what happens in the AD position. I think you have to hire an AD before making any decision on Claeys future in the head coaching role. If they go with Goetz I could definitely see them going with Claeys as well. If they bring someone in from the outside to be the AD then all bets are off at that point, but I could see the new person wanting to bring in a new coach and staff to run the football team as opposed to sticking with the inherited staff.

Going to be a very interesting off season.

If Claeys really doesn't want it bring back Mason under the condition that he must keep the staff together. Mason's smash mouth offense with Claey's D? Might not be bad.

If Claeys really doesn't want it bring back Mason under the condition that he must keep the staff together. Mason's smash mouth offense with Claey's D? Might not be bad.
Why would Mason come back? He's got a cushy gig on the BTN that he seems to love.

What type of New Athletic Director would hire a head coach with those type of provisions and why would Mason take a job where he has to use someone else's coaches?
The only type of coach that would do that is someone who can't get another job someplace else.

The other thing is... any AD that used that as criteria in a new coaching search should be fired before he gets started.
It's simply ridiculous to propose this.

i'm in the "other" column. I remember well when Lou Holtz left. I was a student, actually down in the basement area at Morrill Hall when the press conference was going on. John Gutekunst (stalwart defensive coordinator) was named coach. Good coach, nice guy, did ok. In my humble opinion Tracy Claeys might be our John Gutekunst. But I don't think that's good enough for the U. Unfortunately almost every time a hiring situation comes up like this, the person making the decision is doing so without historical context. And because the U in the past has always hired on the cheap- the same mistakes are duplicated over and over again. It's like watching the movie groundhog day. Kaler, in consultation with Kill should seek out a coach better than Jerry. That's what great people do, they hire people better than themselves. No search firms, that's for people who don't know what they're doing. Go Gophers!

i'm in the "other" column. I remember well when Lou Holtz left. I was a student, actually down in the basement area at Morrill Hall when the press conference was going on. John Gutekunst (stalwart defensive coordinator) was named coach. Good coach, nice guy, did ok. In my humble opinion Tracy Claeys might be our John Gutekunst. But I don't think that's good enough for the U. Unfortunately almost every time a hiring situation comes up like this, the person making the decision is doing so without historical context. And because the U in the past has always hired on the cheap- the same mistakes are duplicated over and over again. It's like watching the movie groundhog day. Kaler, in consultation with Kill should seek out a coach better than Jerry. That's what great people do, they hire people better than themselves. No search firms, that's for people who don't know what they're doing. Go Gophers!

All you need to do is look at Claeys and compare him to the other coaches in the Big Ten and think about who players would want to play for.
Claeys would be a Gutekunst move.

Hiring a new AD should be easier now with them getting to make the impact hire of hiring their own Head Football Coach.
Hiring the right AD with the right possible ties to current coaches would be the way to go.

I'm most interested to see what Limegrover & Claeys do immediately with the offense. As I recall Limegrover opened it up a bit during Kill's original absence. They are now playing for their coaching lives.

If Limegrover showed any kind of development on the offensive side I'd say without a doubt keep everyone on board. Promote Sawvel to DC. Be done with it. But Limegrover is so bad and there's been so little development on the offensive side that I'd at least do a national search and see what we come up with and how it compares to Claeys and Co.

Was thinking this, the program is in pretty good shape, not a total rebuild, wonder if Mason would even consider it with those conditions, Mason wasn't the greatest recruiter at the end but the situation is different with the new stadium and upgrade in practice facilities.

Tracy Claeys, the team has come this far, let's see how it goes from here.

Pie in the sky, I'll take Bo Pelini if we have to pick someone although I'm not sure he is interested in coming back to P5 yet. That would get the Nebraska fans going ;)

Really though Claeys.

Here is the more important question:

With all the vacancies out there, who wants to go head coach shopping this holiday season?!?!?

Yeah - bring back Mason. That went well.

Seriously, hire whoever can keep most of this recruiting class in tact. If that is Claeys, so be it.

Why would Mason come back? He's got a cushy gig on the BTN that he seems to love.

• Because he smiles on TV, it does not mean he loves his job.
  • Some people love jobs that aren't "cushy". See Jerry Kill and others working 20-hour days doing something they love.
  • This is not a prediction that Mason would be interested.

If Bo Pellini is hired, how are we going to handle the $5 Bits Of Broken Chair Trophy with his image on it as the former Husker HC?

Nah, he loves his current less stressful coaching gig back in his back yard and collecting money from Nebraska.

Top Bottom