Policy Impact on Season Tickets

The price of the season tickets is the combination of the "ticket" price plus a "donation". There is no deep thought here - that is the price of the season tickets. That price is split into two sections in order to give ticket buyers (and I assume the football fund) a tax break. Think of it this way, how much must I pay to have season tickets? The total price you pay is your cost for the tickets - it doesn't matter how the payment is broken up "donations", ticket price, tax, handling fee. The grand total is your cost for season tickets. You wouldn't get tickets if you told the U that you were not going to pay tax or not going to pay the handling fee - the donation is no different. If you want season tickets you have to pay ALL of the charges bundled together.

The price of the season tickets is the combination of the "ticket" price plus a "donation". There is no deep thought here - that is the price of the season tickets. That price is split into two sections in order to give ticket buyers (and I assume the football fund) a tax break. Think of it this way, how much must I pay to have season tickets? The total price you pay is your cost for the tickets - it doesn't matter how the payment is broken up "donations", ticket price, tax, handling fee. The grand total is your cost for season tickets. You wouldn't get tickets if you told the U that you were not going to pay tax or not going to pay the handling fee - the donation is no different. If you want season tickets you have to pay ALL of the charges bundled together.

I'm calling Mark Dayton. He is good at fixing ticket scenarios. I want my seats, but I want to pay the price that I want to pay for them, not what the U is asking. :rolleyes:

I'm calling Mark Dayton. He is good at fixing ticket scenarios. I want my seats, but I want to pay the price that I want to pay for them, not what the U is asking. :rolleyes:

I think you are on to something. All we need to do is convince Dayton that this team plays hockey and that we the season ticket holders are students. We would then have some real leverage.

U.S.

Exactly. This was essentially a tax efficient way to increase the cost of season tickets. Nothing more. It has been in place for years, and is now being expanded.

Some may not like it. I think the fact that season tickets (with the donation) cost high income fans less than lower income fans (after the tax break) raises some legitimate questions about fairness.

But no one is being forced to do anything.

MrC: In my opinion, it is unethical because I don't believe that anyone should be "required" to make a charitable contribution. Charitable giving should be based solely on whether or not an organization or cause inspires a donor to support them. It is my job as a fundraiser to inspire individuals to support my organization. If they chose not to give, I respect that choice and move on. If a donor gives less than I thought they would, I don't send them a thank you note and request they give up to their capacity, I turn the focus on myself and ask what was wrong with my approach if it didn't inspire them to give at the highest level they could. Giving is about free will. It is voluntary. I would have responded much better to this whole program had they been honest and shared that they would be instituting a PSL Policy in the years ahead. Then, once I renew my tickets and pay the PSL, send me a fundraising appeal seeking my support for Student Athlete Scholarships. If I were moved enough by the appeal and felt that my additional support would help, I would make a gift. If not, I would chose not to give. At the end of the day, it just doesn't sit right with me when an organization tells me that I am "required" to make a charitable contribution. Let me make that choice.

I'm sure since you chose not to give, the U respected your choice and moved on. OMG - they didn't follow up and tell you that you were required to make the payment against your wishes, did they?? That would be highly unethical and cause for being incredibly offended!!

Keeping all four for now, with this years home schedule ( TCU and the 3 new coaches MI, NE, WI), no way we were dropping them this year. will re evaluate after the season, as we do every year. Not real happy about it, but it is what it is. Everyone has to decide how to spend their $, cant get down on anyone who drops their tickets.

This has been an interesting read.
As a family we now have 12 season tickets we have been talking what we should do going forward looks like right now we will drop to 8 or 6. Our family has had Gopher season tickets since my grandfather started in 1900 ,my father satrted in 1927 and I started in 1965. Would like to continue but the way college football is going not knowing game times,
charging high ticket rates for fans it makes me question how we can spend this much for tickets.I am now retired and cannot afford these kind of rates. I will hope to still be able to attend a few games each year and continue as a Gopher fan. I remember as a kid we would walk to Memorial stadium in 1960 and they would let us in to watch the last 2 minutes of the game for free. What a special time that was. I started buying my season tickets when I was 12 with my paper route money. Sat threw many losing seasons now this is how a fan is treated with special seat fees. Not a happy gopher camper at the moment But still hope to attend some of the games.
I hope all of you younger fans have as great an experience as I have had.

As a family we now have 12 season tickets we have been talking what we should do going forward looks like right now we will drop to 8 or 6. Our family has had Gopher season tickets since my grandfather started in 1900 ,my father satrted in 1927 and I started in 1965. Would like to continue but the way college football is going not knowing game times,
charging high ticket rates for fans it makes me question how we can spend this much for tickets.I am now retired and cannot afford these kind of rates. I will hope to still be able to attend a few games each year and continue as a Gopher fan. I remember as a kid we would walk to Memorial stadium in 1960 and they would let us in to watch the last 2 minutes of the game for free. What a special time that was. I started buying my season tickets when I was 12 with my paper route money. Sat threw many losing seasons now this is how a fan is treated with special seat fees. Not a happy gopher camper at the moment But still hope to attend some of the games.

You are a good Gopher Fan. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been an interesting read. And short sighted. And sad.

Don't know where to go with this. I am no happier than anyone about the increase...but...what do you want?

1) I want the Gophers to be competitive.

---there's a price for that: good facilities, good coaches, a good education.

2) I want the Gophers back to elite status.

---there's a price for that: same as above X5

3) I want players to be compensated fairly

---there's a price for that: same as above X10...you have to compensate the rowers, tennis players, and shot putters the same.

4) I want cheap season tickets.

---sorry, but, 1-3 eliminate that. Football is the engine that drives all sports.

5) Get rid of tax break and seat license donation.

---fine. Season tickets are now $1000 per year. Please remit.

End of story. Get it or get out. I hate this, but if you want 1-3, you need 4 or 5. It's the modern world, not 1941.

Don't know where to go with this. I am no happier than anyone about the increase...but...what do you want?

---there's a price for that: same as above X10...you have to compensate the rowers, tennis players, and shot putters the same.

---sorry, but, 1-3 eliminate that. Football is the engine that drives all sports.

End of story. Get it or get out. I hate this, but if you want 1-3, you need 4 or 5. It's the modern world, not 1941.

More silliness.

My 2 cents

The Gopher football program has a couple of large hurdles to get over that will only be cleared with consistent winning records:

1. The football program is unique in that it is one of the few major programs that competes with all four of the major professional leagues and the money that supports these programs often have no affiliation with our beloved University of Minnesota. Most major Universities are located in smaller "college towns" and the transients that move there typically assume support for the local school. FYI...Miami is the only school to have won a national championship that also competes against the NFL, NHL, MLB and the NBA for fan allegiance.

2. The entire game day experience has got to improve. Game day should be a must attend event. Figure out how to open up beautiful venues at the U for tailgating. The parking lot tailgating is so lame and old. Open up some spaces on the mall for tailgating, create some unique and coveted areas that people will pay greatly for. Win or lose, game day has got to be one of the best 7 or 8 days in Minneapolis each year. Figure it out Minnesota, most schools around the country have, if you want to be legit the entire game day experience needs to be second to none. Go see how TCU, Texas, Ole Miss, Georgia, etc... create their game day experience!

I wonder how many tickets are given to some of the large corporations that have pledged millions of dollars to Gopher athletics? Seems like that will increase season ticket holder numbers?

Lastly, living in Houston, I wish I could attend every game, but I can't. For now, I will be keeping the two Zone One tickets I have and continue to get to 1 or 2 games per year. Living in Houston, it is my way of giving back to the U. That being said, I cant fault anyone for making alternative plans after the new pricing for Gopher football was unveiled. I just hope the U figures out how to make Saturdays on campus in the fall "The Place To Be"

The greatest way to grow attendance is winning, period! I believe that as good as the last couple of years have been, it is only going to be better from here going forward. In Kill We Trust

HoustonTXGopher

Thanks for this post - it's a shame the AD can't raise money without gouging longtime fans. Whether he realizes it or not, he's overpricing the product.

You are absolutely right. It's not 1941. The Gophers need more fans. The Gophers need younger fans. They need to draw more people in, not push them away, especially young people. People don't seem to be willing to spend $30 a seat to see Middle Tenn. State or SJSU, but they are going to spend double that (or more) to watch Indiana State or Buffalo? That is what's short-sighted.

Put me in the category of not renewing, but also not being bitter at all. I'm bummed sure, but if the U can fill my seats with someone willing to pay more than me, then the program wins and I am happy for them. No hard feelings.

For me, it wasn't that the cost was too high, but rather too high considering it is hard for me to make many games due to my kids' events, and too high for MTSU, etc.

Still looking forward to attending a few games. Heard I forfeited my rights to comment on here tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So $500 average ticket * 50,000 seats = 25 million a year. If you raise prices 40% and lose 10% of your season ticket holders you come out ahead. I get the math. I think that most just think this move is coming about 1 to 2 years to early. Better math is keep price the same, increase attendance 5% this year, create an actual shortage of tickets for once, like maybe have one single game that someone tried to get to that they could not get a ticket, and then start increasing the price.

Empty seats have a tendency to make more empty seats. Ask the timberwolves.

And if you don't donate more than the standard deduction, that 80% deductible figure is meaningless.

So $500 average ticket * 50,000 seats = 25 million a year. If you raise prices 40% and lose 10% of your season ticket holders you come out ahead. I get the math. I think that most just think this move is coming about 1 to 2 years to early. Better math is keep price the same, increase attendance 5% this year, create an actual shortage of tickets for once, like maybe have one single game that someone tried to get to that they could not get a ticket, and then start increasing the price.

I think the Timberwolves are better proof of the proposition that sustained poor play makes more empty seats.

Finally somebody who has done the math. I also one of the side affect is that some people may move to cheaper seats thus opening up some of the better seats. Will new people buy them? Time will tell but I suspect that have modeled out many of the scenarios to determine the risk reward. Latter on I will post some of them.

They are banking big time on the team continuing to move in the right direction record/performance wise. As long as that happens the loss of season ticket holders shouldn't be huge and as you laid out they come out ahead on the revenue front. Where it gets dicey is if the team plateaus or takes a step back in the next few years. Combine that with the increased prices and you could have a mass exodus of season ticket holders combined with little interest from the fanbase in becoming new season ticket holders given the cost.

Over the next few years we will get to find out if this was a smart move by the athletic department or a massive blunder.

Less kids playing football means less chance of those kids becoming future season ticket holders.

Not really sure you can draw a correlation between playing football and becoming a season ticket holder down the line. Tons of football fans have never played a single down of organized football.

Not really sure you can draw a correlation between playing football and becoming a season ticket holder down the line. Tons of football fans have never played a single down of organized football.

It's not a perfect science, but it we already are seeing colleges around the country struggle to get students to go to the games. It just seems like the writing is on the wall with younger generations not being as interested about football.

They are banking big time on the team continuing to move in the right direction record/performance wise. As long as that happens the loss of season ticket holders shouldn't be huge and as you laid out they come out ahead on the revenue front. Where it gets dicey is if the team plateaus or takes a step back in the next few years. Combine that with the increased prices and you could have a mass exodus of season ticket holders combined with little interest from the fanbase in becoming new season ticket holders given the cost.

Over the next few years we will get to find out if this was a smart move by the athletic department or a massive blunder.

Different things matter to different fans. Some are long time season ticket holders will come to see the Gophers win or lose but are fairly price sensitive and will balk at the increases (obviously there are others who will come see the team win or lose and don't care too much about the price). Others will only come if the team is winning, but when the team is willing, they will pay a lot. The short run equation seems to be that as we are winning (and we aren't exactly a dynasty yet, we have had one 5-3 season) now is the time to capitalize on the people willing to pay a premium to see a winner, and that those people will pay for the loss of some of the long time season ticketholders who will pay to see a losing team but won't pay the higher amounts regardless of performance. My fear is that if we go backwards and start losing again, you will lose the "pay a lot to watch a winner" people you gained, and the crowd that stuck it out with cheap seats and a losing team won't come back, because now they know they will be rewarded for coming to see the bad years by getting priced out as soon as times get good again. If the team keeps improving, this plan should work out financially. If we stumble, the thing could blow up in their faces.

It's not a perfect science, but it we already are seeing colleges around the country struggle to get students to go to the games. It just seems like the writing is on the wall with younger generations not being as interested about football.

The good news about that kind of problem is that if it is a generational thing, it should affect all programs. We always talk about losing the arms race compared to other schools, but if no schools can attract younger fans, then nobody gains or loses. If some schools attract younger fans while other schools complain about how hard it is to attract younger fans, then they are making excuses.

Top Bottom