All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

CBS: 2015 Big Ten Spring Practice Watch

7. Minnesota needs to find some playmakers

The Gophers were the Little Engine That Could in the Big Ten last season, but this year the Gophers not only need to replace running back David Cobb, but tight end Maxx Williams as well. Williams essentially was Minnesota's passing threat last season, as the Gophers finished No. 141 in the country in passing yards per game last season. This year it'll be up to a bunch of unproven receivers to provide Minnesota with a legit aerial threat. The Gophers will be relying on four redshirt freshmen at the position this year, and somebody will need to take over the No. 1 role. Keep an eye on Isaiah Gentry.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...practice-watch-which-ohio-state-qb-will-it-be

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Looks like they're outside for at least some parts of practice today

Holland is a big dude.

Some quick observations from today's practice.

Gant looked very fast to me, Holland seems to have very good hands. Most of the receivers have good hands and were getting open from time to time against a very quick secondary. I think the passing game will be much improved and I also think our days of having a wide receiver drought are over.

If I had to guess who would start at running back I would guess Rodrick Williams first, then Rodney Smith and then Jeff Jones. Rodrick is faster than last year, still packs a lot of power, and on one carry, right in front of me, made a sharp, quick cut and juked a linebacker (didn't get LBs number) out of his jock. I don't recall Rodrick having that sort of quickness last year. If he can learn to read the holes like Cobb, or even wait a minute for the holes to open up, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Jones and Smith are similar in my eyes. Smith might be a little bit faster and quicker. Jones has good hands and seemed very smooth. Don't get me wrong - Jones is not slow - none of the backs are but perhaps Jones has a bit to learn. Jones had a play right in front of me much like Rodrick's but instead of making a quick cut and going, Jones tried to dance. I am sure that worked in high school but not so much against a Big 10 linebacker! I am sure by the end of spring practice he will have that coached out of him.

De'Niro Laster leveled Brandon Lingen after Lingen caught a pass. I am pretty sure there wasn't supposed to be live tackling today. Lingen popped up mad but got control of himself and trotted off.

Streveler looked like he is passing better and still seems to be fast. When Chris came to MN in 2013 Coach Kill said he was one of the fastest players on the team. Watching the DBs, LBs and RBs fly around today made me realize how much faster we have gotten as a team in the last couple of years. Mitch is clearly 1, Chris is clearly 2 and Perra and Rhoda seem to be fighting it out for number 3.

This team will be very good this fall and I sincerely think they will be playing in Indie as Big 10 West champions!

Always remember, these observations are worth what you payed for them. Let me know if you disagree with anything and I'll give you your money back! ;-)

Gant looked very fast to me, Holland seems to have very good hands. Most of the receivers have good hands and were getting open from time to time against a very quick secondary. I think the passing game will be much improved and I also think our days of having a wide receiver drought are over.

If I had to guess who would start at running back I would guess Rodrick Williams first, then Rodney Smith and then Jeff Jones. Rodrick is faster than last year, still packs a lot of power, and on one carry, right in front of me, made a sharp, quick cut and juked a linebacker (didn't get LBs number) out of his jock. I don't recall Rodrick having that sort of quickness last year. If he can learn to read the holes like Cobb, or even wait a minute for the holes to open up, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Jones and Smith are similar in my eyes. Smith might be a little bit faster and quicker. Jones has good hands and seemed very smooth. Don't get me wrong - Jones is not slow - none of the backs are but perhaps Jones has a bit to learn. Jones had a play right in front of me much like Rodrick's but instead of making a quick cut and going, Jones tried to dance. I am sure that worked in high school but not so much against a Big 10 linebacker! I am sure by the end of spring practice he will have that coached out of him.

De'Niro Laster leveled Brandon Lingen after Lingen caught a pass. I am pretty sure there wasn't supposed to be live tackling today. Lingen popped up mad but got control of himself and trotted off.

Streveler looked like he is passing better and still seems to be fast. When Chris came to MN in 2013 Coach Kill said he was one of the fastest players on the team. Watching the DBs, LBs and RBs fly around today made me realize how much faster we have gotten as a team in the last couple of years. Mitch is clearly 1, Chris is clearly 2 and Perra and Rhoda seem to be fighting it out for number 3.

This team will be very good this fall and I sincerely think they will be playing in Indie as Big 10 West champions!

Always remember, these observations are worth what you payed for them. Let me know if you disagree with anything and I'll give you your money back! ;-)

Thanks for the report.

Nice update from Joe C on Hank Ekpe and Scarver

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/295846961.html?page=1&c=y

“He reminds me of the two guys from Missouri,” coach Jerry Kill said Tuesday, referencing Shane Ray and Markus Golden, who combined for 42½ tackles for a loss last season. “I mean, he’s all of a sudden matured. He’s had a great offseason, and he can flat get off the ball.

The headaches returned last fall when the weather turned cold, and he finished his sophomore season with just four tackles in the season’s final nine games. His three tackles for a loss all came in non-conference games.

“Sometimes my vision would blur after getting hit on a play,” Ekpe said. “I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can go’ because it was really affecting my game. I didn’t want to be out there if I was hurting the team.”

Now Ekpe is healthy again, and he’s been one of the players who have impressed the coaches most through four spring practices.

“We haven’t blocked him on the pass rush yet.”

eff Jones isn’t the only Minneapolis Washburn grad turning heads for the Gophers this spring. Noah Scarver has been catching nearly everything thrown his way as a nimble 6-5, 273-pound tight end.

Scarver graduated from Washburn in 2013 and redshirted that fall at Montana before sitting out last fall as a transfer.

“I think he wanted to get closer to home,” Kill said. “Everybody always asks me who’s been kind of a surprise in camp; he definitely has been.”

On one play Tuesday, Scarver reached up one hand for a pass and the ball appeared to stick to his glove like Velcro.

“He’s very athletic,” Kill said. “He’s got very good hands, and he’s 270 pounds and can run.”

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting here in California, can't really make it to spring practices so thanks so much everyone for the updates / observations!

FSN: Gophers CB Murray aims to lead in 2015

Minnesota has had a number of strong senior leaders in the secondary in recent years. Two years ago, it was senior safety Brock Vereen, who went on to get drafted by the Chicago Bears. In 2014, safety Cedric Thompson was the unquestioned leader of the secondary. He's now hoping that his body of work in college, coupled by a strong pro day, can land him a job in the NFL.

While it's hard to argue Murray's standing as one of the best -- if not, the best -- cornerbacks on the Gophers roster, he's the first to admit that being the lone leader isn't something that fits his personality.

"I wouldn't say it's really a leadership role. I think we're all leaders," Murray said. "Collectively, we all lead each other and we've all got that kind of relationship to where if I wasn't doing something right, anybody who wasn't playing or had a less significant role, they can say something to me and really get on me, and I appreciate that because they're making me better."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...rs-cb-eric-murray-aims-to-lead-in-2015-031015

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the recap. Keep 'em coming.

As for the statement of yours that I bolded, where do you typically fall on the "Homer-meter"?

CBS: 2015 Big Ten Spring Practice Watch

7. Minnesota needs to find some playmakers

The Gophers were the Little Engine That Could in the Big Ten last season, but this year the Gophers not only need to replace running back David Cobb, but tight end Maxx Williams as well. Williams essentially was Minnesota's passing threat last season, as the Gophers finished No. 141 in the country in passing yards per game last season. This year it'll be up to a bunch of unproven receivers to provide Minnesota with a legit aerial threat. The Gophers will be relying on four redshirt freshmen at the position this year, and somebody will need to take over the No. 1 role. Keep an eye on Isaiah Gentry.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...practice-watch-which-ohio-state-qb-will-it-be

Go Gophers!!

How many bcs level programs are there now? I don't think this ranking is possible.

I have a little different take on the running backs then you do. Jeff Jones may have some things to learn but he seems to have some moves and gears that may propel him to the number one spot in the not to distant future. Also at today's practice it really became clear to me that our receivers are definitely going to be a step up. I also enjoyed watching Chris Streveler. He really seems to enjoy the game. The best thing though is that every year the practices have gotten better and better. This year is no exception to that trend.

P.S. It is great fun watching the T.E.s battle each other. There is great competition with all of them including the two walk-ons, Nick Hart and Noah Scarver.

I have a little different take on the running backs then you do. Jeff Jones may have some things to learn but he seems to have some moves and gears that may propel him to the number one spot in the not to distant future. Also at today's practice it really became clear to me that our receivers are definitely going to be a step up. I also enjoyed watching Chris Streveler. He really seems to enjoy the game. The best thing though is that every year the practices have gotten better and better. This year is no exception to that trend.

Thanks for sharing your observations Killjoy & diefrima. I look forward to getting to my first practice on April 4th & the Spring Game April 11th!

P.S. It is great fun watching the T.E.s battle each other. There is great competition with all of them including the two walk-ons, Nick Hart and Noah Scarver.

I always like your takes, so I do have a question. Did you see them do any pass blocking? That has been a determining factor in the past with Kill's teams. If JJ can prove that he can protect, then I think the sky is the limit.

I expect all 3 of these backs to get meaningful PT. I would also bet that Nugget runs his way right into the NFL this year. Defense markedly improves and the O has its breakthrough year. Big time breakthrough year. tOSU does not scare me. We are a Top 10 team this year and everything is coming up Roses!

I expect all 3 of these backs to get meaningful PT. I would also bet that Nugget runs his way right into the NFL this year. Defense markedly improves and the O has its breakthrough year. Big time breakthrough year. tOSU does not scare me. We are a Top 10 team this year and everything is coming up Roses!

Where you staying in Pasadena?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always like your takes, so I do have a question. Did you see them do any pass blocking? That has been a determining factor in the past with Kill's teams. If JJ can prove that he can protect, then I think the sky is the limit.

Great point and observation. Unfortunately I was focused mostly on the receivers and especially the T.E. The only time I paid much attention to the RBs was when they were actually running with the ball. I will try to observe their blocking skills when I attend my next practice after spring break.

Nice update from Joe C on Hank Ekpe and Scarver

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/295846961.html?page=1&c=y

“He reminds me of the two guys from Missouri,” coach Jerry Kill said Tuesday, referencing Shane Ray and Markus Golden, who combined for 42½ tackles for a loss last season. “I mean, he’s all of a sudden matured. He’s had a great offseason, and he can flat get off the ball.

The headaches returned last fall when the weather turned cold, and he finished his sophomore season with just four tackles in the season’s final nine games. His three tackles for a loss all came in non-conference games.

“Sometimes my vision would blur after getting hit on a play,” Ekpe said. “I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can go’ because it was really affecting my game. I didn’t want to be out there if I was hurting the team.”

Now Ekpe is healthy again, and he’s been one of the players who have impressed the coaches most through four spring practices.

“We haven’t blocked him on the pass rush yet.

eff Jones isn’t the only Minneapolis Washburn grad turning heads for the Gophers this spring. Noah Scarver has been catching nearly everything thrown his way as a nimble 6-5, 273-pound tight end.

Scarver graduated from Washburn in 2013 and redshirted that fall at Montana before sitting out last fall as a transfer.

“I think he wanted to get closer to home,” Kill said. “Everybody always asks me who’s been kind of a surprise in camp; he definitely has been.”

On one play Tuesday, Scarver reached up one hand for a pass and the ball appeared to stick to his glove like Velcro.

“He’s very athletic,” Kill said. “He’s got very good hands, and he’s 270 pounds and can run.”
I'm getting excited about everything we've heard so far about Hank Ekpe. If Cockran can have a season like his sophomore year with Hank giving us a strong pass rush on the other end of the line that would really help an already very good secondary.

I'm getting excited about everything we've heard so far about Hank Ekpe. If Cockran can have a season like his sophomore year with Hank giving us a strong pass rush on the other end of the line that would really help an already very good secondary.

Agree, Those comments along with Kill saying he could be a high round draft pick on Sports huddle and Clayes calling him one of the best athletes on the entire team in a Pipress interview have got me really excited about Hank. I think he will be an upgrade over Amaefula.

Random notes from practice today:

- I walked in right after Carter Coughlin announced. He had asked GI to sit on the story until 7pm so he could make an announcement, but people took to their phones and started tweeting his commitment from practice. Kind of sucks for Carter, but still, lot's of positive energy today from the big commitment.

- QB's all looked rough today. Especially the sideline out patterns. They all had a tough time getting the ball all the way out there. Mitch had one picked by BBC that would have been a TD. BBC went way up over the receiver to grab it and off he went. Very impressive.

- RB's: Rodrick Williams broke one for 70 yards today. He got around the corner on the left side and off he went. The CB from the other side of the field had an angle and caught him at the goal line, but Rodrick dove into a somersault for the TD, which drew laughs. Rodrick runs really damn hard, all the time. Jonathan Celestin (aka 'Thumper') hits really damn hard, all the time. They are good for at least one massive collision per practice and today was no different. Jeff Jones didn't do much to stand out today. He's just picking up the speed of the game and what it's gonna take at this level, he'll get there. Rodney Smith is the opposite of Rodrick Williams in that he's very patient and when he gets his spot he moves laterally really well. There is some David Cobb in his game and you will hear more and more of that moving forward I'd bet.

- WR's: Gentry hauled on very nice bomb down the right sideline that would have been a long gain or a TD. What really impresses about these guys is how they're put together. in the past, guys like AJ Barker or Fruechte looked like really good intramural players. Like guys I could tackle if I had to. Gentry, Gant, Holland and Gibson look like thoroughbreds. Just big, strong, athletic freaks, all of them. Even the walk-on WR's look the part now. I don't have my program anymore, but the walk-on from Bursville and the walk-on from Milwaukee are both 6'4" 210lb or bigger.

- TE's: Duke looks good out there. He had one circus catch where the ball was under-thrown and the LB didn't turn his back so it sort of hit him in the back of the neck/helmet. Duke reached behind the LB and pinned the ball against the back of the LB's neck until he could get both hands on it and pull it into his body as he ran/fell backwards. He looks 100% healthy and ready to start at TE. Noah Scarver, the walk-on from Mpls Washburn looked good again today and you can expect he's a guy that will contribute moving forward, if not this year. He had one super catch in 1 on 1's and a second time the ball was over his head, but he stayed with it looking up into the roof until it dropped and almost came away with a circus catch with a man draped all over him. he also got the pop of the day, imo when he caught a short pass and got sandwiched simultaneously but Julian Huff and a DB. It was quite the hit and Scarver got up slow, but walked it off. Tough kid.

- OL was L-R Lauer-Bjorklund-Bobek-Campion-Pirsig. Connor Mayes got some snaps at Center with the 1's as well. There was plenty of shuffling of the OL and trying guys at different spots but a rough estimate of the 2nd team OL today was L-R Alex Mayes-Isaac Hayes-Connor Mayes-Tyler Moore-Foster Bush. Matt Leidner also played much of the practice at C with the 2's, Chad Fahning got work at LT with the 2's and Foster Bush got reps at guard with the 2's as well.

- DL is the same. L-R Cochran-Stelter-Richardson-Hank Ekpe, with the 2nd unit being L-R Keith-Ndondo Lay-Moore-Elmore. Shoob Timms and Kafo got some work as well with the 2nd-3rd team.

- LB was Celestin (Campbell was out)-Everett Williams-Jack Lynn, with Poock, Julian Huff and De'Niro Laster. I also saw Ray Dixon and Chris Wipson get some snaps. Everett Williams is playing really well. Celestin is playing really well and is the biggest hitter on the D. Jack Lynn is the leader. Poock will start or contribute greatly. Laster will play.

- CB: What can I say? We have Murray and BBC, no one can really get much going against them. BBC had the big pick today. Myrick and James are the 2's and both look like they can hold their own.

- S: Same. Antonio and Travis are the starters, with Duke McGhee, Charles Rogers and Jacob Huff getting the rest of the snaps.

Awesome report! Are you and 65 going to start your own publication? Count me in as your first subscriber!

Did anyone else see Liedner throw a spiral today? I didn't see one ball that remotely looked like a spiral. Our receivers need catchable balls!!! Our coaching staff is doing great things, but have COMPLETELY botched this position. Our regional FCS schools have better backups than our starter. This is problematic when trying to win a trip to Indy.

Did anyone else see Liedner throw a spiral today? I didn't see one ball that remotely looked like a spiral. Our receivers need catchable balls!!! Our coaching staff is doing great things, but have COMPLETELY botched this position. Our regional FCS schools have better backups than our starter. This is problematic when trying to win a trip to Indy.

Yes, please go on again about how great Mankato's QB is...

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom