All Things 2015 Gophers Spring Practice: Tweets, Links, Analysis, Video & More

Did anyone else see Liedner throw a spiral today? I didn't see one ball that remotely looked like a spiral. Our receivers need catchable balls!!! Our coaching staff is doing great things, but have COMPLETELY botched this position. Our regional FCS schools have better backups than our starter. This is problematic when trying to win a trip to Indy.

beaker-o.gif

FSN: Claeys feels good about LB depth

Heading into the 2014 season, linebacker was a big question mark for the Minnesota football team. When the year was all said and done, it turned out to be a strength on the Gophers' defense.

Minnesota saw the emergence of linebackers De'Vondre Campbell (69 tackles) and Jack Lynn (57 tackles, three forced fumbles), as well as senior Damien Wilson, who led the Gophers in tackles with 119. While Wilson is gone, Minnesota feels good about the depth it's returning at the linebacker spot in 2015.

"We've got enough bodies. It's just a matter of straightening out and where it's all going to fit and how it's all going to go together," Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys said Thursday after Minnesota's fifth spring practice. "As far as the kids go, there is a lot of them there. I've been very pleased so far with where they're at. It'll probably take about all of spring ball to figure out exactly how the puzzle's going to go together."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/tracy-claeys-feels-good-about-minnesota-gophers-lb-depth-031215

Go Gophers!!

What? Have you been to practice and watched him throw ducks all day?

I'm assuming you've been around the area to see how well the backups at the FCS programs throw during their spring practices?

I'm assuming you've been around the area to see how well the backups at the FCS programs throw during their spring practices?

Remember, experts don't have to do anything to share their expertise.

Did anyone else see Liedner throw a spiral today? I didn't see one ball that remotely looked like a spiral. Our receivers need catchable balls!!! Our coaching staff is doing great things, but have COMPLETELY botched this position. Our regional FCS schools have better backups than our starter. This is problematic when trying to win a trip to Indy.

This seems hard to believe...but you weren't really there so it's not surprising. Your obsession with Leidner, while entertaining, is beginning to jump the shark. I swear, if we ever have a Monica Seles moment, sonnygarcia has to suspect number one.

This seems hard to believe...but you weren't really there so it's not surprising. Your obsession with Leidner, while entertaining, is beginning to jump the shark. I swear, if we ever have a Monica Seles moment, sonnygarcia has to suspect number one.

What an idiotic comment. My QB ire isn't directed at Mitch it's directed at all of them, but since Mitch is the one that plays he gets more criticism. I'm more disappointed our staff hasn't brought in or developed a QB. All of them are terrible, and that's no overstatement.

It's too bad because if we had anything reassembling a QB we win the west, hands down, we are loaded on D and we'll run the ball well enough. But you can't win big games without a QB who can make big throws throughout the game (much less throw a spiral). So ya, not happy about the QBs, they're bad, like worst of all P5 teams bad.

not happy about the QBs, they're bad, like worst of all P5 teams bad

Leidner was 66th in the country in passing efficiency last year (out of 109). Appleby, Siemian, Hackenberg, Brown, Gardner, and O'Toole were all worse - and that's just in the Big Ten.

Random notes from practice today:

- I walked in right after Carter Coughlin announced. He had asked GI to sit on the story until 7pm so he could make an announcement, but people took to their phones and started tweeting his commitment from practice. Kind of sucks for Carter, but still, lot's of positive energy today from the big commitment.

First I saw to break this was Christenson (Strib writer) tweeting that Coughlin was hugging everyone at practice and it looked like he committed. A random subscriber on GI (not one of the official mods) posted something similar at about the same time. Probably others did as well, since it was a public practice with dozens of fans and reporters there besides GI, so asking Burns to sit on the story until 7 wasn't going to keep the news secret when he was going around hugging everyone and shaking hands, etc.

The competition between GI, 247, Strib and others to be "first" on all these commitments is annoying, though, that's for sure.

Leidner was 66th in the country in passing efficiency last year (out of 109). Appleby, Siemian, Hackenberg, Brown, Gardner, and O'Toole were all worse - and that's just in the Big Ten.

So you've now resorted to posting facts. :)

Efficiently running the offense is 70% of what a quarterback does. Passing is the other 29.99%. Throwing spirals is .01% (if that). We're in very good hands.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

So you've now resorted to posting facts. :)

Efficiently running the offense is 70% of what a quarterback does. Passing is the other 29.99%. Throwing spirals is .01% (if that). We're in very good hands.

Too funny. Sonny's obsession with spirals is comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who cares about efficiency, when the other team is playing only to stop the run and leaving receivers with single coverage (not to mention the majority of your passes are roughly 5 yards) you should have a good efficiency rating. When you rank 121 out of 128 in passing that is troublesome. That shows that the coaches aren't throwing the ball because they know they can't succeed at it. Goods teams stop the run and know they can stop the Gophers.

And mocking me about a spiral...... that's kind of important. Ask a WR what kind of a ball they'd rather catch, a spiral or a wobbler, let me know what they say. Also, when you need to drive a ball into a tight window, would you have better success doing that with a spiral or a duck?

who cares about efficiency, when the other team is playing only to stop the run and leaving receivers with single coverage (not to mention the majority of your passes are roughly 5 yards) you should have a good efficiency rating. When you rank 121 out of 128 in passing that is troublesome. That shows that the coaches aren't throwing the ball because they know they can't succeed at it. Goods teams stop the run and know they can stop the Gophers.

And mocking me about a spiral...... that's kind of important. Ask a WR what kind of a ball they'd rather catch, a spiral or a wobbler, let me know what they say. Also, when you need to drive a ball into a tight window, would you have better success doing that with a spiral or a duck?

There is a lot wrong with your post. I'm not sure where to start. Probably with the assumption that teams who run a lot would only do so because the coaches know they can't pass. Of course if I started there it would take away from the stupidity of your spiral rant that has been going on for months and I wouldn't want to take the spot light off if that nonsense. I just won't waste my time. Go to the Mankato message board already.

If I remember correctly Mitch's YPA was certainly in the top 1/2 of the Big10 as well so the 5 yard comment is off base.

Lighten up man.

Accentuate the positives about Gopher Football. The Gophers have gotten better each succeeding year under Kill.

The QB situation is the hardest to improve post Brewster. This too shall past now that there is a semblance of stability behind Mitch allowing the backups time to mature and develop. If someone surpasses Mitch this coming Fall practice, more power to it.

For now, he is the best option.

There is a lot wrong with your post. I'm not sure where to start. Probably with the assumption that teams who run a lot would only do so because the coaches know they can't pass. Of course if I started there it would take away from the stupidity of your spiral rant that has been going on for months and I wouldn't want to take the spot light off if that nonsense. I just won't waste my time. Go to the Mankato message board already.

"There is a lot wrong with your post..... But I'm not going to elaborate"

I love those ones!

I'm still trying to figure out the Mankato comments, if someone could clue me in there I'm dying to know.

"There is a lot wrong with your post..... But I'm not going to elaborate"

I love those ones!

I'm still trying to figure out the Mankato comments, if someone could clue me in there I'm dying to know.

"Probably with the assumption that teams who run a lot would only do so because the coaches know they can't pass."

Sounded like he elaborated just fine.

As for the MSU-M question....this post:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...9099-Off-Season-for-Mitch&p=998878#post998878

Along with the dozen or so posts that were deleted where you went on a tirade about how Lloyd was the best QB in the state of MN. Let's cut the feigned ignorance, please.

"Probably with the assumption that teams who run a lot would only do so because the coaches know they can't pass."

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...9099-Off-Season-for-Mitch&p=998878#post998878

Along with the dozen or so posts that were deleted where you went on a tirade about how Lloyd was the best QB in the state of MN. Let's cut the feigned ignorance, please.

BOX

Cut sonny some slack. Our passing game has been pathetic up to this point under Kill. A flexbone team threw for more yards than us last year. That isn't all on the QB's, other than Max we haven't had a receiver the QB could count on.

Cut sonny some slack. Our passing game has been pathetic up to this point under Kill. A flexbone team threw for more yards than us last year. That isn't all on the QB's, other than Max we haven't had a receiver the QB could count on.

But if it's not a perfect spiral, no one can catch them. Just ask Joe Kapp's receivers back in the day.

If It Wobbles Like A Duck And Results In A Touchdown Then It's Probably A Peyton Manning Pass:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/30/peyton-manning-duck-throws-richard-sherman_n_4695407.html

And

"Yes, everybody who watches Manning can see he throws wobbly passes on occasion. But those who are catching those throws don't seem to care.

"It doesn't matter what the ball looks like, it's always in the right spot," said receiver Demaryius Thomas. "That's the main thing with him. I still remember the first day I was throwing with Peyton, throwing the ball, it probably wasn't the prettiest ball but it was always in the right spot and it was easy to catch. I've never had a quarterback like that, so I enjoyed it.

"It's like catching tissue paper. It's so easy to catch, it really doesn't matter if it's a spiral or wobbly.""

From: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ing-on-throwing-ducks-i-believe-it-to-be-true

You heard this on GH - Stickum is now legal for wideouts if their QB is unable to throw a tight spiral. Problem solved.

We should first consult former Oakland Raiders Lester Hayes on how to do it right. :cool02:

elvin-hayes.jpg

Stickum is a trademark adhesive of Mueller Sports Medicine, of Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin, United States.

Wow, watching the D2 championship game makes me a MSU fan and I should go onto their message boards! Forgot I even made that comment, but completely stand by it. Their QB was the starter at southern miss (?) but lost starting job to injury, so he does have some talent; and I'd still stand by my comments that we could insert him into our lineup and become a better team. That is the only Mankato st game I've ever watched in my life so I have no desire to peruse their message boards.

I'm excited for the season and love what kill & co are doing and that's why it probably irks me more; we could easily win the West with an average QB, we're gonna be that good at most spots next year. If we were still bad at most spots I wouldn't even care about our QB situation.

But you would almost have to purposely sabotage yourself to get a QB situation as dire as ours, so maybe I'm even more shocked than mad. Streveler, McKinzy to follow Liedner! I mean we have brought 1 legitimate QB onto campus so far during Kills time here and that was Nelson. I think the staff deserves more heat about this.

Wow, watching the D2 championship game makes me a MSU fan and I should go onto their message boards! Forgot I even made that comment, but completely stand by it. Their QB was the starter at southern miss (?) but lost starting job to injury, so he does have some talent; and I'd still stand by my comments that we could insert him into our lineup and become a better team. That is the only Mankato st game I've ever watched in my life so I have no desire to peruse their message boards.

In the championship game didn't he only throw for like 100 yards and 0 (zero) touchdowns? Wow. That is so good. Maybe you mean the game before that where he threw 4 touchdowns?

If you want to talk about judging a QB on only 1 game then go back and watch the Iowa game from this last season. Leidner threw for 4 touch downs, 77% completions. Oh he was also our leading rusher in that game. Now extrapolate that to a whole season and hey we have a Heisman.

I'm excited for the season and love what kill & co are doing and that's why it probably irks me more; we could easily win the West with an average QB, we're gonna be that good at most spots next year. If we were still bad at most spots I wouldn't even care about our QB situation.

But you would almost have to purposely sabotage yourself to get a QB situation as dire as ours, so maybe I'm even more shocked than mad. Streveler, McKinzy to follow Liedner! I mean we have brought 1 legitimate QB onto campus so far during Kills time here and that was Nelson. I think the staff deserves more heat about this.

Leidner had the 7th best rating at the end of the season out of the 14 main starters. How is that not "average"?

Top Bottom