All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Have we ever lost a MN recruit to Iowa St. in the history of our program? And I'm not counting kids that were kicked off the team for stealing.

No. Jake Sullivan went to ISU, but Clem didn't offer him. There is a lot of Coffey to ISU steam though. Would be a major disappointment.

No. Jake Sullivan went to ISU, but Clem didn't offer him. There is a lot of Coffey to ISU steam though. Would be a major disappointment.

At the end of the day, no one goes to Iowa St. that has options... they get transfers and criminals.

All Things Amir Coffey Thread UPDATED 9/11: #25 by ESPN, 9/12: #35 by Scout

Is Coffey at Iowa State for the Kansas game tonight? I thought I read a post about an upcoming visit.

Edit: yes, he is.. Hoping the Pioneer logos on the floor tells him what he needs to know about the culture there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing I've noticed about Iowa St is the fans go nuts for recruits, at the arena and on twitter. Amir is getting love from people on Twitter and he's favoriting all the tweets.. then a couple gophers fans chimed in from a Marcus tweet and he didn't favorite those…

I'm just going to assume at this point he's going to Iowa St… Getting Hurt lessens the sting a lot.. if he doesn't commit this weekend to Fred and his recruitment continues, awesome.. if not, best of luck in Ames. I hope the Timberwolves offer Hoiberg 5-6 mil a year to coach and he leaves there soon.

The one thing I've noticed about Iowa St is the fans go nuts for recruits, at the arena and on twitter. Amir is getting love from people on Twitter and he's favoriting all the tweets.. then a couple gophers fans chimed in from a Marcus tweet and he didn't favorite those…

I'm just going to assume at this point he's going to Iowa St… Getting Hurt lessens the sting a lot.. if he doesn't commit this weekend to Fred and his recruitment continues, awesome.. if not, best of luck in Ames. I hope the Timberwolves offer Hoiberg 5-6 mil a year to coach and he leaves there soon.

Literally half if not more of their posters on Cyclone fanatic all had Rashad Vaughn as their avatar. I've never seen any poster on any message board ever have an avatar of a recruit and the kid hadn't even committed to them... It was pretty comical to see the meltdown and it made them look like idiots.

Have we ever lost a MN recruit to Iowa St. in the history of our program? And I'm not counting kids that were kicked off the team for stealing.

Nope. The next one will be the first one. Hoiberg's going to continue to try to recruit Minnesota, though, because other than getting transfers he has few other options. He doesn't beat out Iowa for the few good HS players in Iowa, and trying to recruit faraway players, well, he faces a lot of the challenges we do (weather, midwest perception, etc.) but without many of the advantages.

Anyway, ISU fans ... why are you here? You're not in our conference, you're not our rival, we don't care about you. Go home and talk amongst yourselves.

The atmosphere there at Iowa State basketball games paired with the quality of the program is unrivaled compared to any other college in the upper Midwest as far as I'm concerned. That being said, it'd take real guts for Amir to want to actually have to spend 3-4 years in Ames. Plus if he (or the pops) value a strong education at all, that works to our adv. Anyways, really hoping we can convince Amir to become a Gopher this winter.

Come to the barn can't wait to shut you ***s up

I am pretty sure Fred offered and Pitino declined. I think there will be a series upcoming though. Would love nothing more than to travel to the Barn to watch ISU and if it happens next year, I will be there.

The atmosphere there at Iowa State basketball games paired with the quality of the program is unrivaled compared to any other college in the upper Midwest as far as I'm concerned. That being said, it'd take real guts for Amir to want to actually have to spend 3-4 years in Ames. Plus if he (or the pops) value a strong education at all, that works to our adv. Anyways, really hoping we can convince Amir to become a Gopher this winter.

Now that he has seen the fragility of the body- with the injury- he might be thinking a little more about the value of the college he goes to for his later career in business, should the NBA not work out long term. The contacts you might make in Minneapolis versus in silo land are night and day.

Cyclone Fanatic fans... Guess what: You still live in Iowa! Go tend to your cornfields. (@ Farmville, USA)

I am pretty sure Fred offered and Pitino declined. I think there will be a series upcoming though. Would love nothing more than to travel to the Barn to watch ISU and if it happens next year, I will be there.
Would make sense if Pitino did decline. Fred wants to recruit Minnesota and it would help him even more to be able to play the Gophers and get more exposure to Minnesota kids. While the Gophers don't really recruit Iowa so the only benefit would be a solid non-conference game which you could schedule with many other teams who aren't really focused on recruiting Minnesota.

Would make sense if Pitino did decline. Fred wants to recruit Minnesota and it would help him even more to be able to play the Gophers and get more exposure to Minnesota kids. While the Gophers don't really recruit Iowa so the only benefit would be a solid non-conference game which you could schedule with many other teams who aren't really focused on recruiting Minnesota.

Never said it did not make sense, simply responding to the person that says they wished they could play us. The offer was made and Pitino was not yet ready to accept. I think he has said yes to a future series but I could be wrong.

Non transfer recruits are the more the exception than the norm there- as you well know. 13 transfers since 2010

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/fred-hoiberg-iowa-state-basketball-junior-college-transfers/

Obviously it has worked pretty well for Freddy.

Yes, early on the transfer were a huge part of the success and Fred will most certainly continue to use transfers heavily, but to pretend that Fred does not recruit preps is also being ignorant, whether it be purposefully or facetiously. Last year, ISU had possibly their second best season in school history with the assistance of 1 division one transfer. The core of the program now is prep players like Morris, Long, Niang, etc. Transfers are used to fill holes.

Transfers are used to fill holes.

Ehhh.. not sure about that. Used a lot more than "to fill holes" in the roster. Hoiberg has brought in some excellent transfer players - difference makers.

Three already from Marquette.. Scott, Jameel & Deonte. Congrats on the success, but transfers have been a big part of Iowa State's recruiting plan - not simply a way to "fill holes." I think you kind of agreed with this.. but then threw in the "fill holes" comment.. which isn't reasonable.

Anyway, good to see Jameel on the court... and Deonte is one of my favorites. Really sad to see him go, but I hope he does well.

Ehhh.. not sure about that. Used a lot more than "to fill holes" in the roster. Hoiberg has brought in some excellent transfer players - difference makers.

Three already from Marquette.. Scott, Jameel & Deonte. Congrats on the success, but transfers have been a big part of Iowa State's recruiting plan - not simply a way to "fill holes." I think you kind of agreed with this.. but then threw in the "fill holes" comment.. which isn't reasonable.

Anyway, good to see Jameel on the court... and Deonte is one of my favorites. Really sad to see him go, but I hope he does well.

Fred is targeting elite level prep players like Vaughn, Coffey, etc and if/when he misses on some of these targets, he then targets transfers that are good enough to make an impact. There may be years he takes 4 transfers and zero preps because the talent level of the preps he can land is behind that of the transfers and years where he grabs four preps and no transfers because the opposite is true. But ultimately, he targets elite preps every year and will not always land some of the ones he wants. He will no longer sign a four year kid that does not have the ability to be a starter by year 2 (my words, not his).

My overall point is that anyone that thinks ISU is only having success because of transfers is ignoring that 4 of our current starters are not D1 transfers as well as four last year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Only question is will they be chanting "We Want Amir" or "We Want Coffey" ;)

Only question is will they be chanting "We Want Amir" or "We Want Coffey" ;)

The Barn needs to be rocking tomorrow. Amir was impressed with the "Hilton Magic" (barf) and fans chanting his name there. We need to show him that the Barn can be just as energetic! If you're going to the game tomorrow, be extra loud!

The Barn needs to be rocking tomorrow. Amir was impressed with the "Hilton Magic" (barf) and fans chanting his name there. We need to show him that the Barn can be just as energetic! If you're going to the game tomorrow, be extra loud!

I'll give it my best shot.

I tweeted at "The Barnyard" about chanting Reid Travis' name last year and the response was something to the effect of "if we can fit it in." A little more engaged student section would be helpful.

Getting Coffey and Hurt locked up would make this season a success, haha. I won't be worried if we get those two guys to go along with our class next year.

Top Bottom