Zahir Rainer Commits

Between Rainer and Sunram, this has been a really good week on the defensive side of the ball for Gophers recruiting. Obviously the caveat of commitments sticking applies now more than ever, but we really seem to be off to a strong start in the '24 class with the possible exception of the QB position.

At least it sounds like the contenders are 3 win Stanford and 3 win VT, both struggling programs at the moment.
True. But one is a premier academic institution and the other is in his home state. Not feeling great about this one.

True. But one is a premier academic institution and the other is in his home state. Not feeling great about this one.
It really depends on his top goal. If it’s getting an education from a premiere academic institution like Stanford, then he’s probably gone. I don’t see VT as being a big challenge to keeping him a Gopher. Compared to Stanford, Minnesota is still a very good school with a better football program.

It really depends on his top goal. If it’s getting an education from a premiere academic institution like Stanford, then he’s probably gone. I don’t see VT as being a big challenge to keeping him a Gopher. Compared to Stanford, Minnesota is still a very good school with a better football program.
I wouldn't blame any kid for taking a Harvard or Standford or similar option.

Having said that Standford is in a big bind as far as football goes. They can recruit but Standford as an institution takes VERY few transfers in. In the age of the portal that may be a borderline death penalty as far as football goes long term with talent able to move out, but not in. It's a one way door where they are largely only able to bring in young new HS recruits to replace seasoned talent ... unless they change the rules and allow more transfers in.

Last edited:

I believe in the saying. Where there's smoke there's 🔥

Because I put little faith in what 16-17-year-olds say.

You are correct. De-committing happens in all schools.

Maybe there should be a recruiting section on the message board. Then, after they sign, we talk about the kids in the football section.
He’s a 1000% committed > section 💯

Top Bottom