Zach Lofton Update

Then I would say we hired the wrong coach if he does't think he can get someone better or as good as lofton(have yet to hear of other major schools being interested), and that goes back to me saying how confident is pitino with his recruiting skills.
I was talking specifically about JUCOs. There aren't a bunch of elite JUCO players every year. Even if Pitino was able to get the #1 scoring guard for JUCO players, he wouldn't necessarily be better than Lofton.

There may be 13 scholarships, but replacing a malik with another malik doesn't help you take a step forward.

You really think Malik is equally as good as Lofton?

If we were limited to 8 scholarship players, I would share your concern. But we aren't, so I don't. Feel free to continue your irrational panic though.

Because I think Lofton is better in every aspect of the game except for maybe spot up shooting, but with the slump Malik went through I can't imagine him not shooting at least as well as Malik did when he's here if he gets an offer. I'm not a huge Lofton guy either.

Then I would say we hired the wrong coach if he does't think he can get someone better or as good as lofton(have yet to hear of other major schools being interested), and that goes back to me saying how confident is pitino with his recruiting skills.

Reread the thread, you will see a lot of mention of lofton taking over for andre once he leaves. There may be 13 scholarships, but replacing a malik with another malik doesn't help you take a step forward. I don't understand the people that say pitino will get us to take the next step but than are satisified with malik, king, and the lofton's of the world, ok first few years, I'll excuse it, but in my book lofton would be a 2015 kid, and I hope pitino recruits a much better class by then, and considering pitino hasn't even offered, I'd say even pitino is unsure if lofton is worth it. Every time a name gets floated around everyone is automatically in love with him and say they'd be worth a offer, but than we pass on them all the sudden their opinion is different. I'm a little different, I would root for him and hope he succeeds if end up offering and he commit, like I did with mav, malik, etc. but that does't change if he succeeds or not, I like to get players who are more likely to succeed.

Lofton really isn't comparable to Malik in terms of skill set. Have you watched him play before? If he stays consistent, he has potential to be a lethal scorer. His game is so much more diverse than Malik.

I can't imagine him not shooting at least as well as Malik

Drinking early? Malik shot 32.8% from deep this season with that huge slump. Lofton just shot 29% in a MUCH weaker conference.

It's absolutely idiotic you say this.

Drinking early? Malik shot 32.8% from deep this season with that huge slump. Lofton just shot 29% in a MUCH weaker conference.

It's absolutely idiot you say this.

Do I make a comment?

No. I'll just leave it be.

Why don't you share your wisdom with coach Pitino ,coach Katze?

When you're calling someone an idiot. Take the extra two seconds to read what you've written.

Pointing out idiotic logic, is not the same as calling someone an idiot.

Oh no! Not a typo, anything but that.

Malik shot 32.8% from deep this season with that huge slump. Lofton just shot 29% in a MUCH weaker conference.

Fact.

Hey - the Gophers may be interested in a recruit.

Que the choice of responses:

A. This guy is amazing - he'll be one of the best players on the team.

B. This guy sucks. He wouldn't get off the bench.

It's amazing there are no average players out there - only players who are great or terrible. How does that happen?

I don't question his game, to me it looks like he can flat out ball, and has range the second he steps in the gym. Real nice handles and he clearly doesn't lack confidence, which is exactly what I want in a SG. Someone who is fearless and has all the confidence in the world to knock down the big shot. You can clearly tell he has that.

On the other hand, if he is a headcase and is going to be a potential cancer on/off the court....then I want nothing to do with him. We have a pretty good chemistry with the current guys on roster, no need to add a cancer that can't contribute his first year on the team and take away a scholarship from someone who can contribute immediately. I have all the confidence in the world in Pitino on the recruiting front...there are always greener pastures.

When it comes down to it, if he is good enough for Pitino, he will be good enough for me.

It's absolutely idiotic you say this.

Yeah I shouldn't have said "can't imagine," that was stupid. I do still think he will shoot better than that if he is on the team though. 29% isn't reflective of his true shooting ability and if he's playing for the Gophers his role will change and I don't think he will be forcing as many shots. The whole point of my post though was to say I think Lofton is a better overall player, which isn't even remotely ridiculous. Why did you get so offended? Do you know Malik or something?

Yeah I shouldn't have said "can't imagine," that was stupid. I do still think he will shooter better than that if he is on the team though. 29% isn't reflective of his true shooting ability and if he's playing for the Gophers his role will change and I don't think he will be forcing as many shots. The whole point of my post though was to say I think Lofton is a better overall player, which isn't even remotely ridiculous. Why did you get so offended? Do you know Malik or something?

I would take the basketball skills of Zach Lofton over Malik Smith any day. I don't think it's even close.

I think Lofton is a better overall player, which isn't even remotely ridiculous

I can't agree with that until I see a full game tape. I'm sure Richard is watching full games of Lofton and team getting destroyed by VSU, other games where Lofton goes 1 of 7 from 3pt. How did he react on both ends of the court, what else does he offer his team in an off shooting night? I'll let the staff figure that out.

How does your second leading scorer (on a not very good D1 team) only average 23 minutes a game?

Where are his other offers? I have not heard of one. Not being a jackass, please fill me in if you know of other equal teams that have interest.

Can he play D? I said I have never seen him play any D and the only person who says he can play both ends is Jigga (his daddy, closed relative or #1 fan in the world).

How is he better in every aspect? Many stats are in the same range with Lofton's numbers.

I'm not to opposed to Zach, just not buying his stock in bulk because a couple of highlight videos.

I can't agree with that until I see a full game tape.

I'm not to opposed to Zach, just not buying his stock in bulk because a couple of highlight videos

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with you questioning him. I'm honestly indifferent on adding him too, I just think he is better than Malik.

Where are his other offers? I have not heard of one. Not being a jackass, please fill me in if you know of other equal teams that have interest.

Not sure. Not aware of any other teams being interesting in Malik either though.
Can he play D?

It's been a while since I've seen him play, but I think worst case scenario he will play it as well as Malik can. I would bet a little better though since he is longer and a much better athlete.

How is he better in every aspect? Many stats are in the same range with Lofton's numbers.

I'm not basing anything on stats, I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in the past in person. Other than spot up shooting, I just can't think of anything that Malik is better at. Watching the two of them play it's just clear to me personally that Lofton is more talented. I don't want to bash Malik though because I like him, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

Not sure. Not aware of any other teams being interesting in Malik either though.

Malik did not transfer without knowing where he was going after asking for release. It's not quite the same.

I would bet a little better though since he is longer and a much better athlete

Bostick was a better athlete, longer, etc. he didn't rip it up on D or many other aspects. It's a pretty narrow way to compare the two players. Where and at what level did you last see Lofton play to compare his game to Malik? Clearly not against B1G competition. I'd be surprised if the level of competition was even worth a comparison.

It's been a while since I've seen him play, but I think worst case scenario he will play it as well as Malik can

Malik ended the season very poorly, but to keep saying worst case scenario he'll play as well as Malik is not a fair representation of his contributions throughout this season. It's not like he was Kevin Payton.

If, coach does offer Lofton, I do not automatically expect him to contribute over 7ppg, 19mpg or meet Malik's shooting percentages... so, worst case scenario, I don't agree with your wording or opinion (your right to have, agree to disagree).

I have no idea of where his head is at currently, but my only concern is mental. I watches him in the state high school tournament and was not that impressed. He seemed athletic, but stood around a lot on defense. On offense , we was constantly whining to the refs. I thought he deserved to be T'd up several times. When his team got down, he seemed to give up. There was less effort. Now, this was 3? Years ago, so maybe he has gown up a little.

Look at it this way, if Zach Lofton joins this team he is taking Wally's scholarship. Who would you rather have two more years of: Wally or Lofton?

Look at it this way, if Zach Lofton joins this team he is taking Wally's scholarship. Who would you rather have two more years of: Wally or Lofton?

Am I the track coach or the basketball coach who enjoys watching his guy's three point shots get blocked from behind into the top of his head?

If you recall, he was summarily dismissed from the 3A All-Tournament Team. As soon as the game was over (IIRC, a 7 or 8 point loss to Orono in the 3A title game), he bolted to the locker room, and had to be dragged back to the court for awards. The press releases handed out before the game had his name on the team, but he was not announced, nor was he presented with a trophy after the fact.

If he is indeed coming here, I hope he's gotten his act together.

Zach shot 35% from 3 at san jacinto was rated 41st Juco player after his 1st year. Take him.

What does Lofton do when Konate and Martin take the last 2 scholarships? Willing to walk-on for a year while he redshirts?

Are you talking Justin Martin?

Xavier forward Justin Martin to transfer; will be eligible immediately
Martin averaged 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds last season, when Xavier went 21-13 and lost to NC State in an opening NCAA tournament game in Dayton, Ohio.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...rward-justin-martin-transfer-will-be-eligible[/QUOTE

If he was part of a team that lost in the openning round in Dayton, we don't want him. We'd rather have a slug from Miami who knows how to exist in drug city. :banghead:

Are you talking Justin Martin?

Xavier forward Justin Martin to transfer; will be eligible immediately
Martin averaged 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds last season, when Xavier went 21-13 and lost to NC State in an opening NCAA tournament game in Dayton, Ohio.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...rward-justin-martin-transfer-will-be-eligible

Total of 13 per year and two unused right now for next year...

4 Seniors
A. Hollins <> D. Mathieu <> E. Eliason* <> M. Walker*
2 Juniors
J. King C. <> Morris (JC)
2 Sophomores
C. Buggs* <> D. McNeil
3 Freshmen
G. Diedhiou <> J. Martin <> N. Mason

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=16&cfg=bb&yr=2013

What would be nice is if,,,,, Coach P can't find what he needs for next year...and use the schollies to bring in a new Fab 5, who all have brains enough to not call a timeout when we have none left.

Alas, I dream, but the beer is good, and IT IS COLD!!!

Top Bottom