Your D - is it better at stopping the run or the pass?

Good ?. We won't know until we start playing.

Last year we finished in the bottom 1/3 in the BT in both categories.

My guess is we may have better potential to defend the run versus the pass as our overall D speed is likely better. We could have a huge problem replacing our best DE pass rusher and the other returning DE had zero (or 1) sacks in 08 .

We will likely rank better against the run than the pass at the end of the year. We have a very big front 4 and they are better at holding the point of attack than rushing the passer.

We are extremely opportunistic. If we find success in rushing the passer (I expect someone to step up, it's inevitable in the college game) we're going to amass a few picks again.

somewhere I read

Onawuchi could be back for Air Force.

I think the run defense will be fairly stout up the middle, what concerns me is the edges. None of the linemen seem to have great lateral mobility and the weakside containment was poor overall. If I was game planning to attack the gopher defense I'd pretty much attack the edges all day and take advantage of how frequently they get out of position with draws, counters and screens.

I wonder if we might use a little smoke and mirrors on the D side to take advantage of our strengths, or more specifically to minimize our weakness and run some defacto 2-5 with speed at DE or nickles to blitz a corner. It seems like we have the right personnel for this game but maybe the wrong scheme. It'll be interesting.

After your game against Syracuse what would you say to the original question now?

We lost a starting CB from last year due to grades. Our depth is good, but they are young, so it may take some time to show stability. The line seems better, but didn't appear to put much pressure on the QB in the first game. The one thing that stood out to most is the coaches finally used half-time to change the defensive strategy -- and we shut them out second half.

Minnesota is known for beating a cream puff NC group, splitting the middle of the BigTen, and bombing in the late run against the ranked BigTen. Since this years NC group (at least the first 3 games) steadily increases in toughness, we may have to answer this question in 2 weeks. Considering the defense has new coaches this year as well, obviously time will be a factor there too. Heck, with a new stadium -- outdoors no less, we can't rule out weather either. I don't think anyone knows your answer yet!

Also, I am going to have to disagree with you about us being an old defense. We have good young depth at linebacker and d-line, but our cbs are thin.

Top Bottom