Youngblood Back/Practice 1

Collado starting at corner? He got lit up last year, if I remember correctly.

Same old offensive line, not much different. Where are Olson, Michel, Gjere are they second team if so, I'll coach the second team line.

Same old offensive line, not much different. Where are Olson, Michel, Gjere are they second team if so, I'll coach the second team line.

:D They'd probably take you!
Seriously though, I wouldn't be suprised if it's a last chance situation for the upperclassmen, either up your game early and often, or the freshmen might start taking a few reps here and there, and eventually the coaches will know where everyone stands going into the spring game and fall camp.

It would be pretty tough for Gjere to take part in spring practice, considering that he's still in high school.

As for Olson and Michel, I don't understand why they weren't out there. Especially Olson.

I'm not sure why it surprises some that the O-lineman would be similar this year to start. I'm pretty sure they're gonna get their chance to show they've improved, and not only individually, but as a unit. Sometimes it's not just about the individuals on the line, but the line working together as a unit. I'm okay with giving them the early shots. Then, when you see weaknesses during practice, see if some of the new guys can fill those voids.

Doesn't surprise me that the first couple of days of practice that last year's starters (or people who got playtime) get a first crack at things.

I would imagine they are going to switch people around a bit and see how they respond.

Doesn't surprise me that the first couple of days of practice that last year's starters (or people who got playtime) get a first crack at things.

I would imagine they are going to switch people around a bit and see how they respond.

Exactly, it's been one practice.

Collado starting at corner? He got lit up last year, if I remember correctly.

I think Collado gets a bad rap because of his performance in early 08 (Northern Illinois comes to mind). I actually though he was our best tackling member of the secondary last year, especially productive as a blitzer. If he can get a little bit better in his coverage skills, we may have ourselves a nice Cover 2 corner this year. Plus he should have a leg up on the playbook over Christyn Lewis.

It is nice to have Carter on their best WR though.

As, usual some on this board have no patients, give the O-line some time. It is a long time till kickoff in the fall, and alot can happen. Just wait and see what happens. The starting line in the spring game is not necessarily the line that will start in the fall!! Give it time to evolve.

Doing the same thing again, and again and expecting different results is insanity. Not me, Albert the Great. I am especially not thrilled with either tackle. Unless Wills has tranformed himself into the player he could be he is a best servicable. Now Dom Alford to my estimation plays without leverage, cannot bend, and plays way too high. Neither of these players have shown the ability to consistently either kick out the defensive end or seal the corner. While Wills has the abilty to do it his lack of strength and quickness render him a step too slow. Alford has the ability to completely whiff a block. And to ask him move the end inside or out, simply impossible.

Without that ability on the outside, all the pulling, traps, and double teams are compromised.

Certainly something can be said for starting practice with the most experienced guys. But at some point talent, strength, footwork, and quickness of a player like Olson cannot be denied.

I will write this only once. If they start the season with Alford and Wills the running game will go nowhere.

Disappointing

I was hoping for a football person to be covering the football team, not a basketball retread.

Doing the same thing again, and again and expecting different results is insanity. Not me, Albert the Great.

I'd like to counter that with very common coach speak: Everyday, you are either getting better or you are getting worse.

Well, jump in the wayback we are getting worse. Therefore change what you are doing, or change the personnel. To continue is to be worse.

I think we will find that out this spring whether it ends up being changing what they are doing or changing the personnel. Nothing about that seems to be shocked that the first couple of practices include starters from last year.

Didn't the pitt QB get hammered so bad by the public that his parents started watching the games from the parking garage. I believe he got better from jr to sr year. (Maybe I'm thinking of a different guy).

Either way we have plenty of practice days between now and spring game to see how things shake up. I doubt the coach's will be Albert Einsteining anything as they try to do their best to give the players a chance to prove they belong. Unless I'm missing your point about albert einstein.

q for husker

husker - if you don't mind me asking - who are you? You seem pretty knowledgable.

I don't agree with some of your strength training beliefs (topic for another day), but everything else seems spot on.

Is it common knowledge on the board who you are or is it a secret?

Just curious. Thanks for your contributions.

Husker is

The Pride of Arlington!

Doing the same thing again, and again and expecting different results is insanity. Not me, Albert the Great. I am especially not thrilled with either tackle. Unless Wills has tranformed himself into the player he could be he is a best servicable. Now Dom Alford to my estimation plays without leverage, cannot bend, and plays way too high. Neither of these players have shown the ability to consistently either kick out the defensive end or seal the corner. While Wills has the abilty to do it his lack of strength and quickness render him a step too slow. Alford has the ability to completely whiff a block. And to ask him move the end inside or out, simply impossible.

Without that ability on the outside, all the pulling, traps, and double teams are compromised.

Certainly something can be said for starting practice with the most experienced guys. But at some point talent, strength, footwork, and quickness of a player like Olson cannot be denied.

I will write this only once. If they start the season with Alford and Wills the running game will go nowhere.

Husker - you are extremely hard on Wills. I challenge you to look at the last 4 or 5 games and point out how many times Wills got beat. It's almost as if you're oblivious to his improvement. I've never seen you make one mention of Carufel who, in my opinion, is serviceable at best. For you to say Olson, who we've never seen in Big Ten action is better than Wills, who showed great improvement is unfair.

Top Bottom