Yesterday in the car

auric@heart

Reaction score
Some how the radio was on WCCO, and I listened as Chad talked with Sid about everything from Delany being in town, the MLB meetings, and finally the Gophers. First Chad baited the old man with how's your team going to do this year 10-2? Sid retorted 12-0, he had talked with Coach Brester and they were bigger, faster, and more athletic. Chad's take they need to improve two areas. First was Weber, who he said was miserable last year with the exception of the Michigan State game. Sid came back with he was injury free, dedicated to the season, and looking for big things. Chad let that pass. Then he went after the O line. 33 sacks, unable to run the ball.

At that point Sid said, I have been over there and two players who will be starting are Olson and Michel.

Yesterday in the car
My dog pooped and threw up. It smelled like I was sitting next to a Hawkeye fan.

Funny how the same people who rip the media chide the only scribe who has consistently supported the Gopherfor decades. How about leaving the guy who happens to be 90 or so be.

I don't.

So who will fill Sids shoes when he is gone? Ruesse, Souchery, Souhan? Newcomer Miller if he lasts? Certainly not Sid Jr. Which of those take the time to go over to the UM and talk to the players and coaches. Let me answer that for you. No one. Nada. Zilch. I think Sid deserves a high level of respect and a ton of gratitude for what he has done for decades for the UM and his readers. Not ridicule.

SID SAYS......

Sid is over at Gibson-Nagurski every day around 3:00 p.m. You can set your watch by Sid according to people who work there. I would bet Sid gets the inside word before the other pretenders can even find the building. ;)

I don't.

So who will fill Sids shoes when he is gone?

I would imagine Sid's column dies with him. There can be no imitators. His column is pretty unique among major metropolitan newspapers. The people who will replace him are already out there. They're called bloggers.

I would imagine Sid's column dies with him. There can be no imitators.

You are probably right meister. Time passes on. Yet no reason to bash the guy who was the ONLY source of inside scoop from Dinkeytown for decades.

Sorry, but I get a bit testy with some of the smart a$$ comments that pop up on GH. Sid had my respect as a youngster back in the the 50's and 60's and still does.

I love Sid and all of his "hiccups". I grew up reading the Star Tribune sports section every morning praying that Sid had a column that day. His recruiting tidbits for hoops, f-ball and hockey were my faves. He gets a free pass from me every day of the week. Well said, Bayfield...well said, my friend.

I agree w you bayfield,whether it was the twins, gophers or vikes, igrew up with him and I am going to miss his loyalty and column when he's gone. There is no doubt he loves Minnesota sports.

This is getting a bit much...

Let's not forget the other side of El Sid. This man would lie for a profit. Sid owns the lots around the Metrodome site, and use to own the land the Dome sits on and did before the stadium was there. This guy makes a profit from every Star-Triber who parks for work. Why do you think he pushed so hard for that site? His columns were good, at times especially the tidbits about recruiting, but I always struggled with his refusal to acknowledge to other side of his campaign to move the Gophers, Twins, and Vikings. I'm sorry, but this constant praise without admitting the dark side makes me ill.

I don't doubt for a second that Sid made decisions that bettered him financially but it doesn't disregard the loyaly he's had to the U of M. Your opinion of Sid is as valid and legitmate as my own.

chiding someone is not disrespecting them. In fact it's a sign of respect. Who said he sucked or was a terrible human being? He has idiosyncrisies that are funny. I can be both a fan of his accomplishments and goof on him. He can take it, I don't give a rats ass if you can't.

I'm with you, Bayfield; Sid may have forgotten more than most people know about Minnesota sports, but he's remembered more, too. The guy is a phenom at 90. Most journalists are burned out thirty years earlier - and I like and appreciate that he's a homer..

chiding someone is not disrespecting them. In fact it's a sign of respect. Who said he sucked or was a terrible human being? He has idiosyncrisies that are funny. I can be both a fan of his accomplishments and goof on him. He can take it, I don't give a rats ass if you can't.

Did i hit a nerve there Schnoodler? Touchy, touchy.

BTW to chide means to scold according to my dictionary. I must have missed the respect part of the definition.

Yes, I think we all have had our share of funny moments with Sid but the man has been on an island all by himself RE: the Gophers for decades. And I respect that.

Sid is by far the biggest Gopher booster in the media. He has also not broken a story or reported anything "new" in his column in 20 years. He has not written his column in as many years. It is ghost written. It is culled from other sources.

I'll give him the booster thing, but he is NOT a reporter.

IMHO Sid has done nothing for the Gophers that he does not do for any other team that enhances the Sid Empire. His is a world of "I will scratch your back so that you will become part of the Sid Empire". Thus, the constant Howard Cosell like, "my close personal friend" George Stienbrunner, Cassius Clay, Mickey Mantle, Bobby Knight, etc., etc., etc. Nobody, nobody wants the Gophers to get to the Rose Bowl more than Sid does. He then would be THE center of the national story again. IMHO it is not about Sid loving the Gophers. He sold us out to the Dome, he would have happily sold us out to his land near the State Fair. It is just about Sid building up the Sid Empire. By the way, this is not a big, bad thing. Just do not see it as any sort of "love for the Gophers".

Top Bottom