Year 7, one of the most pathetic losses in my 45 years.

The title of this thread is correct.

At the same time, Fleck's contact is guaranteed for the next several years. He is guaranteed the job for several years, it is implied. That is the reward for doing a good job to this point. The contract is so large and lengthy that no university could ever pay that out and then pay a new coach the same amount, unless there was a scandal clause and then a scandal hit, not the case here.

The coach budget is locked for several years, a reward for what PJ Fleck has achieved.

Simon also took over play calling at the end of 2021, offense was suddenly night and day better.

Simon has earned it. Hope it happens this year officially

Someone tried to compare Fleck to Brewster in another thread. Obviously wrong for many, many reasons. One of which is Fleck has an identity, a plan and knows how to run a program (Brewster clearly didn't). That's a good thing.

But he's so damn stubborn. Needs the OC to be the QB coach. Rarely wants to take risks. We were told the offense would look differently. It doesn't. One feature back, little explosive plays in the passing game. One of the top WR transfers has been MIA. Did Spencer even play last night?

People like to joke about it but he really does need to "change his best".

I don't know what the defense was doing but that was awful all around in the secondary. There's no reason that should happen. So disappointing.

as far as the OP - I'm 68. I've watched a lot of pathetic losses over the years. I don't think this one is particularly worse than many of the other examples given.

but I see the issue more as this:

this is Fleck's 7th season. I think that most fans were hoping that Fleck was the one who could avoid the awful losses and establish a higher floor for the program. but now it's starting to remind me of the time Mason - who was in his 9th or 10th season - said the program was "rebuilding."

after 7 years, it's his program - his recruits - his system.

it's easy to say "It's all on me" or that the 4th Qtr was "unacceptable." those are just words - I want to see action. Do something - make some changes. don't keep rolling out the exact same game plan and expecting different results.

to use a favorite PJ saying, it's time for the coaches to "change their best."

Feel bad for the kid. This screenshot shows nicely how the goal line may have been mistaken for the 5 yard line. And end zone that’s not painted with a background color could be confusing to visiting teams.
I don't see how a mistake could have been made. Not at all. If you can't tell you are behind the orange end zone markers, then you've hotboxed too much.20230924_184124.png

Last edited:

Feel bad for the kid. This screenshot shows nicely how the goal line may have been mistaken for the 5 yard line. And end zone that’s not painted with a background color could be confusing to visiting teams.
Are you serious?

A lot of growth last night.
So much growth in the last two games that I’m about ready to throw in the towel. I’m wondering whether, with some good research, the Gophs could find a way to grow that is so failure-center.

Yeah. It’s also funny how people still haven’t let go that we fired our interim coach in the midst of an off the field scandal 8 years ago because he won 9 games once.
Even though the current coach has won 9 games 3 times.
I haven't thought of Claeys in years and would not replace current staff. Claey's dresses like a slob and would have been detriment to recruiting. He was not the right head coach. He could design and call a good defense at times, play to his teams strength.

Last edited:

We have THREE losses just against Northwestern that are worse than any loss my Iowa friends have ever experienced.

2000: Northwestern beats Minnesota on a Hail Mary
2008: Northwestern beats Minnesota on a Pick 6 as time expires
2023: Northwestern beats Minnesota after being down 31-10 in the 4th quarter

You even left out the 2007 Brewster loss at Northwestern in which Minnesota held a 35-14 2nd half lead in Evanston and lost in OT, as well.

2023 was the second time in the past 16 years the Gophers have blown a 21-point second half lead and lost in Evanston in OT.

Top Bottom