WTH is with these announcing crews????????

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
We had Stephen Bardo last night. He might as well have had on his Fightin Illini sweatshirt. At one point he made an audible sound on a close Illinois shot like he was hoping it was going in. It was ridiculous....

We've also had Robbie Hummel for the Iowa game....Jimmy Jackson for the OSU game and I think Shon Morris did the Northwestern game. Give me a freakin' break......:sick::sick:

We had Stephen Bardo last night. He might as well have had on his Fightin Illini sweatshirt. At one point he made an audible sound on a close Illinois shot like he was hoping it was going in. It was ridiculous....

We've also had Robbie Hummel for the Iowa game....Jimmy Jackson for the OSU game and I think Shon Morris did the Northwestern game. Give me a freakin' break......:sick::sick:

I sniff out announcer bias's as much as anyone, and I didn't see or hear anything from Bardo last night that smelled of homerism. If anything, he took the Gophers side on a couple of crappy calls late in the game (the play Gabe fouled out on comes to mind). The play by play guy is another story.

Overall, I like the BTN analysts. The play by plays not so much.

Robbie Hummel went to Purdue, not Iowa though perhaps he would be anti-Gopher for tearing his ACL at Williams Arena.

I personally have not sensed any bias from any of the announcers mentioned. Jackson and Morris are perhaps my 2 favorites for color commentators, regardless if their alma maters are involved.

If Bardo may have been a titch more excited for his Illini, given that they had a rough decade by their standards, I would give him a pass.

One thing I completely disagreed with Bardo on had nothing to do with the Gophers or last nights game. It was when he questioned why Kobe King has been called out as a "quitter" while no such accusations were thrown at John Beilein for leaving Michigan. Totally different situation in my opinion, King is in season and the Badgers have no opportunity to replace him (other than with a walk-on). Beilein left in the summer.

Last edited:

My main gripe with some of the broadcasts and announcers miss really easy things. Like when Omersa got called for goaltending (against Michigan St?) and everyone went crazy because they felt it wasn't. We didn't get a single replay of that and the announcers barely mentioned it.

Dakich is definitely a homer when he does Indiana games.

Play by play guys who drone on without taking a breath or changing their voice level annoy me. Pretty much all the big 10 guys do this except Robbie Hummel. Always pleased when he does our game. Tony Romo does this as well, have a hard time listening to his games.

I understand why they hire these guys, but it does get old. Dakich drives me nuts - you would think he was 10 time BIG coach of the year the way he talks. Maybe we'd feel different/better if a former Gopher announced. Can it be Trent Tucker?!?!? :)

Grimm and Tollackson would be huge improvement, no doubt other teams' radio crews would be as well. Just let them do the games.

Annoying commenters can grate on me a lot, but over the years I found the ESPN, Duke pushing guys to be the worst.

At least the BTN shook it up and changed the game years ago. With the FOX FS1, and Pac12 connections, the BTN is a little more generic now as they tend to rotate talent around quite a bit, with some bigger names appearing on BTN at times.

Bardo is very good, and I have no issue with him, even though he did say that Iowa fans stand all game and have one of the most intimidating places in the Big Ten, which was maybe true in 1981.

Shon Morris is getting pretty stale for me.

He clearly knows a lot about basketball and is well spoken, put he puts out a lot BS coachspeak.
Sure, that wide open 3 that the 30 plus percent shooter just took was just sooo bad because it was quick and too early in the shot clock. OK, welcome back to 1980. Thanks Shon.

Plus I never want to hear about a "stanza" or the "offering' again. OK , after further consideration Shon Morris can start doing games in Peoria, or Evansville only

Anybody who really cares what the announcers say needs to get a life.
If you are offended god made the mute button for that reason.

Top Bottom