WR Pierce Walsh Committ

Academic and aptitude requirements at the academies are super high. The kid must be really smart.

Maybe not as much as you think for athletes. The service academies have prep schools where they funnel through a lot of athletes before they have full admission to the actual collegiate service academy.

Maybe not as much as you think for athletes. The service academies have prep schools where they funnel through a lot of athletes before they have full admission to the actual collegiate service academy.

I assume offers from all three of Navy, West Point and Air Force academies means he was qualified. Maybe not? I was under the impression the prep schools were for kids that haven't yet received an offer of admission and are trying to qualify.

The service academy prep schools work differently than regular prep schools. You incur a six year Statutory Military Obligation attending an acadamy prep school, if you don't make it, you serve three years active and 3 years inactive reserve.

The service academy prep schools work differently than regular prep schools. You incur a six year Statutory Military Obligation attending an acadamy prep school, if you don't make it, you serve three years active and 3 years inactive reserve.

Interesting. Military obligation in lieu of tuition? Kind of like ROTC except a non-college grad would head to the enlisted ranks?

Interesting. Military obligation in lieu of tuition? Kind of like ROTC except a non-college grad would head to the enlisted ranks?
Only current USAF enlisted members can actually apply for admission to the USAFA Prep School.
All applications from civilians for admission to USAFA that are not accepted are considered automatically for an offer to attend the prep school.

Those are the two ways to gain admission to the USAFA Prep School.

I'm almost positive there is no service obligation incurred by attending USAFA Prep School.

Completing the prep school does not guarantee admission to the USAFA, but all who do complete are considered.

Few recruited athletes gain USAFA admission through the Prep School.

I dont know how the other service academies work, nor if they have associated prep schools.

I DO know admission standards are high for all the academies, and I'm reasonably certain none make major exceptions to those standards for athletics.

Last edited:

Top Bottom