Wow Lou Nanne decommits from Gophers, wants to pave own path

i imagine it has to be tough with that last name, then to get drafted by the wild on top of it, i'm sure there are a lot of jealous people saying he is only where he is due to his grandpa. he's a good kid, probably will get more ice time at a program a little worse than the u. his first cousin is better so hopefully we keep him, and hopefully we get lou's younger brother. best of luck to him.

STrib: Edina's Nanne decommits from Gophers hockey team

"I wouldn't be telling the truth if I didn't say [negative comments] hindered my confidence,” Nanne said. “High school was hard for me [because] I felt like I had to live up to the name. When I got to Canada, I could play without the ‘filling in those shoes’ dilemma.

"I loved getting away [because] I felt I didn't have to play up to anything besides my potential."

"I want to prove to others, along with myself, that I am capable and worthy of playing D1 hockey," Nanne said in a Twitter statement. "... Also, I want to make a name for myself rather than living in my grandfather’s shadow."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/222835371.html?12

Go Gophers!!

Obviously I've never been the grandson of a hockey legend. With that said, I feel like a great way to prove that you're not just a family name is to go into a top-notch program and make a name for yourself by playing your heart out.

Either way, I wish him the best wherever he ends up. Unless it's NoDak. Then I hope he breaks his f*cking leg.

Obviously I've never been the grandson of a hockey legend. With that said, I feel like a great way to prove that you're not just a family name is to go into a top-notch program and make a name for yourself by playing your heart out.

Either way, I wish him the best wherever he ends up. Unless it's NoDak. Then I hope he breaks his f*cking leg.

someone hurt his feelings.

STrib: Edina's Nanne decommits from Gophers hockey team

"I wouldn't be telling the truth if I didn't say [negative comments] hindered my confidence,” Nanne said. “High school was hard for me [because] I felt like I had to live up to the name. When I got to Canada, I could play without the ‘filling in those shoes’ dilemma.

"I loved getting away [because] I felt I didn't have to play up to anything besides my potential."

"I want to prove to others, along with myself, that I am capable and worthy of playing D1 hockey," Nanne said in a Twitter statement. "... Also, I want to make a name for myself rather than living in my grandfather’s shadow."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/222835371.html?12

Go Gophers!!

This is really unfortunate. Does he really think that hiding from his name will remove the pressure to produce at the next levels? What does he think the pressure to produce and negative comments will be like when he starts playing in the NHL? I think he may have misjudged how much impact his name would have at the U. He would have been just another one of many highly acclaimed, NHL draft picks that come in as a freshman. Most of the students and fans could care less if his name was Lou Ferrigno, they just expect him to be another good player. I would suspect a majority of the name pressure came from his classmates in K-12. I would bet the vast majority of U students don't even know that his grandfather was a hockey player. I wish him well, but I think skating for the U would not have been much different for him than any of the other incoming freshman.

Top Bottom