WOW, Brew has BIG WORDS for BB after the game

2727 said "Brewster wasn't angry that he had been showed up, he was angry that Bielema had gone out of his way to embarrass his players. Brewster has plenty of faults and probably won't be back next year, but telling off Bielema on the field and not backing down at the press conference was an example of how much he cares about his players."

Not sure if you saw the game or not but the Gophers were NOT embarrassed on that play - they stopped it. It seems to me that stopping them from converting was really all that needed to be said and leave it at that.

Just watch some football games and you'll figure it out very quickly.

2727 said "Brewster wasn't angry that he had been showed up, he was angry that Bielema had gone out of his way to embarrass his players. Brewster has plenty of faults and probably won't be back next year, but telling off Bielema on the field and not backing down at the press conference was an example of how much he cares about his players."

Not sure if you saw the game or not but the Gophers were NOT embarrassed on that play - they stopped it. It seems to me that stopping them from converting was really all that needed to be said and leave it at that.

I didn't say that the Gopher players were actually embarrassed, just that Bielema's goal by calling for 2 points was to embarrass them. The fact that he failed does not excuse the attempt.

10,000 views. You don't see that every day. This world has become waaaaay too complicated if anyone can take the time to try to dream up a valid reason for that two point conversion call. It was poor sports... plain and simple. This doesn't change Brewster's coaching record, the Gopher's win loss record, the direction of either program, or anything that meaningful. It was poor sports, in an age old obvious way... and now we all move on. I don't blame Brewster for his reaction. I thought it was valid. However, I do blame him for producing a horrible football team that might actually match the futility of the '07 team. Things aren't just black and white. Brewster can be correct about a single reaction at the same time he is utterly incorrect on how to build a college football team.

Well said.

So I found this on the UW site after reading another posters view that BB couldn't have been intent on running up the score because they did nothing but run the clock out after Minn scored. If BB really was so intent on "running up the score" by adding 1 extra point, I sure would think he would have tried harder to score again after the Gophers scored. But when the Badgers got the ball back after Minn touchdown, they did this. Also they had 3 time outs left and did not use a single one, while Brewster did call TO once. When you read below it is clear that at 5:01 BB was content with winning by 18. I highly doubt that 1 minute and 38 seconds earlier he wasn't content with winning by 25.

Schwerman,David kickoff 64 yards to the WIS6, Gilreath, David return 16 yards to the WIS22 (Johnson, Johnny).
Wis 1-10 at Wis22 WISCONSIN drive start at 04:51.
Wis 1-10 at Wis22 Tolzien, Scott pass complete to Toon, Nick for 12 yards to the WIS34, 1ST DOWN WIS, out-of-bounds (Wilhite, D.L.).
Wis 1-10 at Wis34 White, James rush for 8 yards to the WIS42 (Theret, Kyle).
Wis 2-2 at Wis42 White, James rush for loss of 1 yard to the WIS41 (Tinsley, Gary).
Wis 3-3 at Wis41 White, James rush for 4 yards to the WIS45, 1ST DOWN WIS (Tinsley, Gary;Manuel, James).
Wis 1-10 at Wis45 Ball, Montee rush for loss of 2 yards to the WIS43 (Edwards, Jewhan).
Wis 2-12 at Wis43 Ball, Montee rush for 6 yards to the WIS49 (Henderson, Kyle;Tinsley, Gary).
Wis 3-6 at Wis49 Timeout Minnesota, clock 01:27.
Wis 3-6 at Wis49 Ball, Montee rush for 6 yards to the MINN45, 1ST DOWN WIS (Lewis, Christyn;Tinsley, Gary).
Wis 1-10 at Minn45 PENALTY WIS false start 5 yards to the 50 yardline.
Wis 1-15 at Wis50 Team rush for loss of 2 yards to the WIS48.
Wis 2-17 at Wis48 Team rush for loss of 1 yard to the WIS47.
Wis 3-18 at Wis47 End of game, clock 00:00.

If BB really was so intent on "running up the score" by adding 1 extra point,

Blah blah blah. It doesn't matter what he did later. Maybe he decided that since he missed the conversion he didn't need to go for another TD because he couldn't get to 50, maybe he felt guilty about it, maybe floating pixies convinced him to run out the clock. It doesn't matter! It doesn't matter! Going for 2 with a 25 point lead and less than 7 minutes to play is running up the score. If someone cheats on his wife but then later passes up on a second opportunity, did he still cheat on his wife? Yes he did! And Bret Bielema ran up the score!

If Brew would have slugged bielema right then and there, I would have fully supported giving him an extension on his contract.

Heh, I might not go that far, but it surely would have been a legendary moment in the Gopher-Badger Rivalry.

Brewster shot his mouth of from day one. Bielema is just letting know who Daddy is. The better move is to not care. But Brew has not known how to handle himself or his program since he arrived.

Ironic how so many on here had no problem with Westbrook's late dunk. For the record, I didn't care then, nor do I now. Stop the opponent, or shut up.

You guys should be thankful. Brett is doing his part to try to get you a new coach.

Having a punk for a coach fits the Badger program perfectly. No one cares about the two point conversion. It was the cowardly response that makes us question your coach.

If Timmy had slugged Bielema, I'm not so sure that I'd bet against
Bielema in the fight that would have followed. In the end though,
it is a childish thing to wish for, just like Brewster's reaction to
the incident.

Top Bottom