Would you welcome back Cam Wiley?

What do you mean by “make it”? He can hack it as a backup big10 rb. Not every player is going to be above average, doesn’t mean they can’t be useful or important to a teams success.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

I prefer Bucko and Ky as the backups -- now the starters!

2021 stats

LeCaptain: 3 carries, 31 yards, 1 TD
Wiley: 6 carries, 4 yards, 0 TD

2021 stats

LeCaptain: 3 carries, 31 yards, 1 TD
Wiley: 6 carries, 4 yards, 0 TD
Cam is a good athlete that has been out recruited in the Gophers Running Back Room. If he wants more playing time, I think he is making the right choice for himself. I hate to see him go. He can be a great asset to the team. His entering the Transfer Portal early may have something to do with plans to enroll early at another school in time for Spring practice.

LeCaptain worked hard to earn a scholarship. He never let being buried deep in the depth chart bother him. I have high hopes that his burning desire to succeed will rush him to great accomplishments. He has all the tools as his HS records attest. He has the natural ability to be an RB from the small sample size he has shown us. I loved that pirouette move and that he instinctively lowered his shoulder pads.

He is an ultimate selfless team player in the RTB model. This is his David Cobb moment. Let's see what he has. He showed us a glimpse of being at least a reliable backup. These are the type of players that you'd like to surround the starters to win championships. Genuine team players. As the program continues to improve, we want more players like him on the roster deep in the depth charts.

Did he?
If he stopped practicing, no question you don’t welcome him back

But I think eventually we will get to the point where people enter the transfer portal but stay with the team. Why wouldn’t you?
Still in school. Still practicing to get better.

I think it’s assumed every portal guy quits.
if I’m a head coach and a guy wants to transfer I encourage the guy to enter his name so he can get recruited and I encourage him to stick around and keep practicing and getting better if he wants to.
Backup players with expiring contracts finish out the season in all professional sports. Why wouldn’t a kid who is transferring out because there isn’t future playing time want to finish out the season with his teammates

I think this changes in the next 5 years or so and becomes more common.

But if he stopped practicing. Then you don’t welcome him back
Think about it! You got a guy who is absolutely not all in. He definitely does not have both oars in the water. One bad apple spoils the barrel. The last thing you want is him having full time access to other guys encouraging others to transfer because the coach is unfair, he plays favorites, see what he did there, see what I’m saying…etc etc You do not need that possible negative influence under any circumstances. (Pouting, sulking, unhappy, victim attitudes are not helpful.)
If you are a team guy, quality character team minded you don’t quit mid season.
The idea is coaching suicide.

Based merely on his leaving the team and not knowing about his behavior while on the Gophers, I'd accept him back. Kids are impulsive and mistake-prone. I'd take him back but would monitor his attitude. Meanwhile, has he asked to return?

At this rate (of injuries), he might have to by the end of the season. :(
Exactly. Which is why I’d welcome Wiley back. Don’t know why we are even debating his skill set. The fact is we need bodies and options are limited.

Think about it! You got a guy who is absolutely not all in. He definitely does not have both oars in the water. One bad apple spoils the barrel. The last thing you want is him having full time access to other guys encouraging others to transfer because the coach is unfair, he plays favorites, see what he did there, see what I’m saying…etc etc You do not need that possible negative influence under any circumstances. (Pouting, sulking, unhappy, victim attitudes are not helpful.)
If you are a team guy, quality character team minded you don’t quit mid season.
The idea is coaching suicide.
If that is the case you are correct. It is possible for a guy to know he is leaving in January but still give max effort in November

Based merely on his leaving the team and not knowing about his behavior while on the Gophers, I'd accept him back. Kids are impulsive and mistake-prone. I'd take him back but would monitor his attitude. Meanwhile, has he asked to return?
If he had been practicing I would. If he stopped practicing he is gone and shouldn’t be let back on (which sounds like it is the case)

Exactly. Which is why I’d welcome Wiley back. Don’t know why we are even debating his skill set. The fact is we need bodies and options are limited.
I don't know if we need bodies, it's not like we've been scouring the roster and looking for anyone who ran the ball in HS. :)

I believe all along that Fleck is rowing the boat with whomever is on the roster and not looking back. Players have embraced it, and have clearly stepped up.

I am frankly not at all convinced that LeCap isn't a better option than Wiley ...

**Something Something** Mike Sanford!!

Has nothing to do with Cam's skill set or team needs. He made a decision to quit the team mid-season. He's gone. Even if we were down six RBs he's not coming back.

Fleck's culture is based wholly on team. To allow any player of any caliber to quit and come back would throw it all in the trash.

If that is the case you are correct. It is possible for a guy to know he is leaving in January but still give max effort in November
Absolutely. That is a team-first guy who will be sought in the portal after the season.

I am frankly not at all convinced that LeCap isn't a better option than Wiley ...
Way too early to know if Cap is as good or better back as Cam. But he is for certain our better option. He's on the team.

No. This is all speculation.

Not even speculation. This is message board convo fodder.

PJ Fleck has moved on too. He will reward playing time for others waiting for the chance.
I think Cam Wiley is a decent kid who wants to be a starter. I wish him only the best of luck.

Way too early to know if Cap is as good or better back as Cam. But he is for certain our better option. He's on the team.
Why is it too early? I don't recall Wiley getting many carries ... :sneaky:

PJ Fleck has moved on too. He will reward playing time for others waiting for the chance.
I think Cam Wiley is a decent kid who wants to be a starter. I wish him only the best of luck.
Bold: right, exactly. And that's why I'm guessing he left. To be the guy, somewhere else.

Indeed, good luck to him.

Top Bottom