Would you trade a Rose Bowl for a Clem like scandal

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking -

Would you trade a 7-10 year solid run with a trip to the Rose Bowl and a couple other NYD bowls, only to find the FB team was cheating like the BB team was in the early to mid 90's? Maybe win 80 games in a 10 year period?

I think I would, but curious to know what others think?

Would you trade a 7-10 year solid run with a trip to the Rose Bowl and a couple other NYD bowls, only to find the FB team was cheating like the BB team was in the early to mid 90's? Maybe win 80 games in a 10 year period?

NO fricken way!!!

it sets the program back too much!!!!

Pretty sure I would. After 50 years, I think you're allowed to cheat to win.

NEVER! IF people start talking and thinking like that, it is time to shut down ALL sports at the University of Minnesota. IF you have to cheat to try to win you have lost the skirimsh, the battle and the war.

IF the program cheats, he program is dead and the program must end.

There is right and there is wrong. NEVER forget that. Always try to do the RIGHT thing.

NEVER! IF people start talking and thinking like that, it is time to shut down ALL sports at the University of Minnesota. IF you have to cheat to try to win you have lost the skirimsh, the battle and the war.

IF the program cheats, he program is dead and the program must end.

There is right and there is wrong. NEVER forget that. Always try to do the RIGHT thing.

Once again, Wren is the master of hyperbole.

I would not. If you can't win honestly you don't deserve to win.

The Gopher BB run to the final four means next to nothing to me now, years later. So no.

The Gopher BB run to the final four means next to nothing to me now, years later. So no.
It sucks now, but when it was happening, it was easily the most fun I've had in my life. They can strip the U of the accolades, but they can never take away my memories.

It sucks now, but when it was happening, it was easily the most fun I've had in my life. They can strip the U of the accolades, but they can never take away my memories.

It was fun at the time but in looking back it was all a fraud. I don't look back on that season with any fondness.

I agree that the memories were great - the beer I drank was real and the fun was outstanding ... but years later it just isn't the same - for me.

As long as it wasn't uncovered within the statute of limitations, absolutely.

You do know it is possible to do one without the other, don't you? Why not go for the legitimate run?

Eh.. At this point, I don't know.

Give me 10 more years of whatever is going to happen then I'll answer. If we hire another incompetent coach or two in that time span, then Hell yes.

I know it doesn't matter now, but Clem's Final 4 team had their tutors take their exams for them.. Not shoot them up with 'roids or HGH. What happened on the court was legitimate. I'll never forget that feeling and the look on all the UCLA fans, coaches and players' collective faces when we won that game. NEVER.

No not for a Clem type scandal but a Reggie Bush type scandal, absolutely!

NO fricken way!!!

it sets the program back too much!!!!

I would not make this trade, but 'sets the program too much' seems a bit sarcastic. We are currently watching a football team that might as well be in the midst of probation.

iamwithiamthewalrus on this.

The Haskins' stuff was flat-out embarrassing.

I would not make this trade, but 'sets the program too much' seems a bit sarcastic. We are currently watching a football team that might as well be in the midst of probation.

lol Great point.

I would expect this kind of a question who calls himself "gopherbadgerman".

I'm slightly kidding... kind of...

My answer would be absolutely not. I didn't even get my BS or MS at the UofM and I was still embarassed by Ganglegate. What a black eye on what is largely considered to be one of the better academic institutions in the country. It was embarassing to the state, and the university.

Funny thing is, at barely over 10 years ago, I have to remind myself that a huge percentage of today's GHole posters weren't old enough to remember going through it.

I also still remember the 1997 run and will always remember it fondly. That said, would I have enjoyed it nearly as much if I'd known they were cheating? No. So to answer your question, no I would not make that trade.

But team's toe that line all the time. If you don't think many of the big-time programs have some kids on the take from agents and/or being slipped through academically with a wink and a nod, you're being naive. Therefore, would I freak out if I found out MN did it? No. But I'd rather they didn't.

Do not test my honesty for $1000. $1million??? you will lose it.

I would rather cheer for an 0-12 team every single year than sell my soul temporarily for a Rose Bowl win only to have it taken away from that level of cheating.

Integrity above all else.

I would rather cheer for an 0-12 team every single year than sell my soul temporarily for a Rose Bowl win only to have it taken away from that level of cheating.

Integrity above all else.

That's why I said, as long as it isn't discovered within the statute of limitations, I have no issue with this.

The real question:

Would you rather have a friend who is a diehard badger fan... or a guy who claims he loves both the badgers and Gophers?

Top Bottom