Would Richt get canned if the Dawgs don't make a bowl?

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
I know the talk recently has been that Mark Richt has done enough to save his job for one more season ... and maybe he has ... but the UGA faithful have to be upset with the distinct possibility that the Dawgs will not be playing in a bowl game for the first time since 1996.

Georgia hasn't beaten a team with a winning record this season and has this left:

@ Auburn (10-0)
vs Georgia Tech (5-4)

If they lose both of these games, would that be enough for Richt to get the boot (or, enough for Richt to get the "writing on the wall" and bolt before he gets the boot)? Do we still feel strongly about bringing Richt on board, given the downward trend of the past three seasons (10-3, 8-5, potentially 5-7)?

Forget it. Absolutely no way Richt would ever come here. Zero. Nada. None. (Actually, I have no basis in fact for saying that, but that doesn't seem to stop others on this board who will tell you with certainty who will and will not take the job. Just thought I'd beat them to it. Gee, it's kind of fun pretending you know stuff that you don't. Come to think of it, I guess I do that a lot.)

If he were interested in coming here the question is will he take a pay cut to do so? He is currently making around $3 million a season. I don't see him as wanting to do so, nor do I see the U as willing to pay that much.

Forget it. Absolutely no way Richt would ever come here. Zero. Nada. None. (Actually, I have no basis in fact for saying that, but that doesn't seem to stop others on this board who will tell you with certainty who will and will not take the job. Just thought I'd beat them to it. Gee, it's kind of fun pretending you know stuff that you don't. Come to think of it, I guess I do that a lot.)

+1

I was just thinking 'here we go again' prior to reading your whole post. Spot on. I am amazed at how many people here know the inner thoughts of every potential coach in the country.

If he were interested in coming here the question is will he take a pay cut to do so? He is currently making around $3 million a season. I don't see him as wanting to do so, nor do I see the U as willing to pay that much.

Assuming he gets fired, he'd have to take a pay cut to continue his career. Not many schools pay Georgia money.

Assuming he gets fired, he'd have to take a pay cut to continue his career. Not many schools pay Georgia money.

He may but based on his age and resume he would probably be one of the more sought after coaches on the market. He is also paid "Georgia money" because of his record at Georgia. Maybe his teams are having a down year or two, or perhaps he is trending the wrong way. Either way I think he will be in high demand and will probably get paid around $2.5 million at a minimum at the next job.

He may but based on his age and resume he would probably be one of the more sought after coaches on the market. He is also paid "Georgia money" because of his record at Georgia. Maybe his teams are having a down year or two, or perhaps he is trending the wrong way. Either way I think he will be in high demand and will probably get paid around $2.5 million at a minimum at the next job.

He may choose to wait to be fired , hence a large buyout payment from Georgia will be received. I don't know the details of his contract terms.Or he may be enticed by an offer not as large as the job he currently has by a Big 10 University that would treat him with enormous honor and respect with much less constant pressure to win every game or else. It seems that Tubby Smith chose the latter when he came here and perhaps Mark Richt could do the same. I have no inside information on what he will do. He may remain at Georgia and finish in the top 10 next year. In my opinion he is a very big name coach. Also, his brother-in-law happens to be Brad Johnson, formerly of the Vikings. That is just a side bar that may not have any bearing at all in any decision.

Another factor

The story line on Richt down here in SEC land this year is more about his team being out of control and on the wrong side of the law than about his wins or losses. There is some suggestion that he is too soft on the wrongdoers. I do not know if this is true, only reporting what is showing up in the media. I wonder if the administration would want to pay top dollar for someone whose team may lead to unwanted headlines. Most administrators that I know would take a pass unless there is an absolute certainty that the coach can deliver the wins and the crowds.

I think the key thing with Richt is whether or not he feels like he has a good to great chance to get his job at Georgia back on solid ground in 2011. If he feels like 7 wins or less could happen again, then he'd likely bolt after this year to a school that would give him a 4-5 year contract. We saw this with Brewster last year where he sniffed around some lesser jobs in hopes of starting over with the security of a 4-5 year contract. In the coaching game it's better to leave a place before you're aggressively pushed it out if you want to get a BCS level job again.

I don't know the factual details of the arrests at Georgia . I have read that there have been some this past year. I am not trying to excuse these in any matter. I know that there have been other problems around the collegiate football teams and it seems like more and more every year. Iowa and Wisconsin have had problems in the past. If this is a concern, then I hope Minnesota does not pursue him. It could be a fresh start for him to come in and set strict rules and guidelines , however the sports media will be digging up any dirt they can find to instantly discredit him.

More proof Joel is under the gun

The longer he waits, the candidate pool shrinks. He cannot wait till the end of the season. If Penn State, Georgia, Michigan, Colorado open up. We will play second fiddle. I think candidates know it, and a playing it. Joel thinks he can pull a Tubby hire out, but the longer it takes, the more I think its a pipe dream.

The longer he waits, the candidate pool shrinks. He cannot wait till the end of the season. If Penn State, Georgia, Michigan, Colorado open up. We will play second fiddle. I think candidates know it, and a playing it. Joel thinks he can pull a Tubby hire out, but the longer it takes, the more I think its a pipe dream.

The only way he can name a new coach is if he names someone not currently coaching. I am ok with doing that if that someone is Mike Belotti, otherwise we need to wait until the season is over.

Richt is not getting fired. His buyout is way too much for UGA to absorb this year and he would not go to Minny because it is too North for him.

I have it from a former all american at Georgia that there is a 0% chance that he is fired this season. The heat will not be on till next year. He is playing with a freshman QB.

If Mark Richt becomes available the only school on that list that might be a factor is Colorado. I expect that when JoPa retires, he'll name a successor from his current staff, likely Bradley. If Michigan opens up they will likely go for either a real hot young coach or someone with ties to Mich. It's already been reported that if Richt leaves Georgia will go after Smart from Alabama. At this point I think it's 50/50 that Richt gets canned even if he goes 6-6. The large buyout may cause some hesitation. I can see a voluntary release with a partial buyout, being negotiated, if the Gophers are interested.

If Mark Richt becomes available the only school on that list that might be a factor is Colorado. I expect that when JoPa retires, he'll name a successor from his current staff, likely Bradley. If Michigan opens up they will likely go for either a real hot young coach or someone with ties to Mich. It's already been reported that if Richt leaves Georgia will go after Smart from Alabama. At this point I think it's 50/50 that Richt gets canned even if he goes 6-6. The large buyout may cause some hesitation. I can see a voluntary release with a partial buyout, being negotiated, if the Gophers are interested.

My sentiment exactly. Probably not likely, but a possibility. Also Colorado defeated Georgia this year so hiring Richt may be a tougher sell to Colorado fans.

Richt would be a good coach but I think Georgia will keep him one more year.

Georgia has incredible resources and commitment to football, if he can't do it there please explain why we would hire him other than he is a really swell person.

he can't do it there

idiots.jpg

Georgia has incredible resources and commitment to football, if he can't do it there please explain why we would hire him other than he is a really swell person.

95 - 32 ( 10 years in SEC ) record is very representative on a coaching resume. My question to you is if he is a lousy coach, why has he been there for 10 seasons if they indeed have all those incredible resources? Why didn't they replace him a lot sooner?

For everyone who thinks that PSU will promote from within why haven't they done that already similair to Jimbo Fischer at FSU or Muschamp (sp) at Texas?

I have it from a former all american at Georgia that there is a 0% chance that he is fired this season. The heat will not be on till next year. He is playing with a freshman QB.

How recently have they said this? Things that were true 3 weeks ago when they thought they could be a medicore Florida team may not be true anymore. I think if they miss a bowl, they will at least be very open to the idea of paying him a portion of his buy-out and letting him walk away. I don't doubt that they may be willing to give him one more year, but if winning the SEC East is what is reqired to see 2012, it's probably in both sides best-interest to walk away now and avoid a messy firing. Richt 2010 is in almost the exact same spot as Tubby Smith 2007.

For everyone who thinks that PSU will promote from within why haven't they done that already similair to Jimbo Fischer at FSU or Muschamp (sp) at Texas?

Because it's not necessary. Look what it got FSU. A big mess. And JoePA doesn't want it. He wants to retire on his terms. Bud Foster is the coach-in-waiting at VT. But he doesn't have a formal contract that says so. Therefore, there's no arbitrary date when Frank Beamer needs to be shoved out the door like Bowden was. Bottom-line is that Foster has turned down other opportunities because he knows what's wating for him eventually. Does that mean he'd turn down Georgia or Penn State if they came calling? Probably not. But he likely would turn down Minnesota, for example. To me, the formal coach-in-waiting contract/announcement is only useful if the coach definately says 'this is my last year' such as Purdue did with Danny Hope. Doing it 4-5 years in advance or with some indefinate period of time is silly.

Because it's not necessary. Look what it got FSU. A big mess. And JoePA doesn't want it. He wants to retire on his terms. Bud Foster is the coach-in-waiting at VT. But he doesn't have a formal contract that says so. Therefore, there's no arbitrary date when Frank Beamer needs to be shoved out the door like Bowden was. Bottom-line is that Foster has turned down other opportunities because he knows what's wating for him eventually. Does that mean he'd turn down Georgia or Penn State if they came calling? Probably not. But he likely would turn down Minnesota, for example. To me, the formal coach-in-waiting contract/announcement is only useful if the coach definately says 'this is my last year' such as Purdue did with Danny Hope. Doing it 4-5 years in advance or with some indefinate period of time is silly.

I guess it depends on how "hot" your head coach in waiting is.

I guess it depends on how "hot" your head coach in waiting is.

I'm guessing Will Muschamp's not so hot these days. And it doesn't really stop them from leaving anyway.

I'm guessing Will Muschamp's not so hot these days. And it doesn't really stop them from leaving anyway.

That is true, but it probably also helps in recruiting. I know it limits the amount that the designated head coach in waiting can do, but I bet that recruits like knowing who the coach will be once Joe Pa or Bowden are done.

That is true, but it probably also helps in recruiting. I know it limits the amount that the designated head coach in waiting can do, but I bet that recruits like knowing who the coach will be once Joe Pa or Bowden are done.

Sure. But it's Penn State. You know you're going to be at a premier program either way. Same with Texas. You also know the successor will probably have ties to the current coach/system even if he's not on the current staff.

You are assuming that a premier program will always remain so. As a fan of Minnesota you should know that isn't the case. Nebraska was close to the edge until the Pelini hire. USC had lost its luster until Carroll arrived. ND is well, not what it once was.

You are assuming that a premier program will always remain so. As a fan of Minnesota you should know that isn't the case. Nebraska was close to the edge until the Pelini hire. USC had lost its luster until Carroll arrived. ND is well, not what it once was.

Not 'always' but for the 5 year window a recruit cares about. Would it have helped Nebraska if they'd named a coach in waiting for Tom Osborne? I doubt it. It would have been Frank Solich either way, don't you think? My point is that I think the benefit of making it 'official' for recruiting purposes is limited unless the coach is leaving at a definate point, and potentially sets up very bad situations like what FSU had to go through. It's not worth the risk.

Top Bottom