Worst Team Gophers or Vikings?

gopher1956

Banned
Reaction score
Both the Vikings and Gophers seemed to be cursed. Which team will finally win a big game?

Well the gophers have won 6 national titles. It's the Vikings that are 0 and 4. The Gophers have just had some bad voodoo the last 40 some years.

as of right now I would put my money on the vikes...they CAN score TD's soooo yeah thats my logic...

Oh ya, if were talking recent success anyone who argues for the gophers is silly. Overall history swings in the gophers favor.

Well the gophers have won 6 national titles. It's the Vikings that are 0 and 4. The Gophers have just had some bad voodoo the last 40 some years.

Since 1960 - the Vikings first year they have won 18 division championships (this would be easier than winning the big 10) but also won the conference championship four times (I harder to do than winning the big ten because there are more teams than the big 10). The Gophers have won one conference championship in that time.

I love both the Gophers and the Vikings, but if you compare the two, I don't think you can compare from a time period where the Vikings weren't even in exsistence.

The next team to win will be the Los Angeles Vikings.... whoops! was that out loud??

There is no question. Haven't you heard KFAN or read the Star Tribune? They tell us everyday which team to worship and which team to hate.

This isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Would the Vikes be 0-4 in Super Bowls if African-American players were only allowed to play in the NFC?

Since 1960 - the Vikings first year they have won 18 division championships (this would be easier than winning the big 10) but also won the conference championship four times (I harder to do than winning the big ten because there are more teams than the big 10). The Gophers have won one conference championship in that time.

I love both the Gophers and the Vikings, but if you compare the two, I don't think you can compare from a time period where the Vikings weren't even in exsistence.

Tell that to the Detroit Lions.

Since the Vikings became a franchise there is NO comparison. Vikes have 18 divisional titles (3rd all time in NFL history) and they have the 2nd highest winning % in the history of the NFL according to wikipedia, although I have a hard time believing that's true. Yes they've lost the big games but the Gophers haven't even played in a big game since 1961. I love both teams but both have given us plenty of heartbreak over the years.

Since the Vikings became a franchise there is NO comparison. Vikes have 18 divisional titles (3rd all time in NFL history) and they have the 2nd highest winning % in the history of the NFL. Yes they've lost the big games but the Gophers haven't even played in a big game since 1961. I love both teams but both have given us plenty of heartbreak over the years.

You can win a divisional title in the NFL at 8-8. In the Big10 if you lose 1 game you are most likely out of it. Not to mention they only have to be better than 3 teams, one of which is the Lions. The Gophers have had a rough time as well, but comparing the two is impossible. I won't even get into draft/versus recruiting, but can you imagine using a 1st round pick on Michael Floyd (if I have my years right) after going 1-11? Sure would have helped.

Since the Vikings became a franchise there is NO comparison. Vikes have 18 divisional titles (3rd all time in NFL history) and they have the 2nd highest winning % in the history of the NFL according to wikipedia, although I have a hard time believing that's true. Yes they've lost the big games but the Gophers haven't even played in a big game since 1961. I love both teams but both have given us plenty of heartbreak over the years.

Misery has company...

The teams that have been to the Super Bowl (in years shown) and lost each time:
Buffalo Bills (0-4) consecutively 1991-1994
Cincinnati Bengals (0-2) 1982, 1989
Tennessee Titans (0-1) 2000
San Diego Chargers (0-1) 1995
Philadelphia Eagles (0-2) 1981, 2005
Minnesota Vikings (0-4) 1970, 1974, 1975, 1977
Carolina Panthers (0-1) 2004
Atlanta Falcons (0-1) 1999
Seattle Seahawks (0-1) 2006
Arizona Cardinals (0-1) 2009

Teams that have never played in a Super Bowl :
Cleveland Browns
Jacksonville Jaguars
Houston Texans
Detroit Lions

"Which team will finally win a big game?"

"Both the Vikings and Gophers seemed to be cursed. Which team will finally win a big game? "

Big game? The Gophers will probably win a Rose Bowl before the Vikings win a Super Bowl. The Vikings will win a Super Bowl way before the Gophers win a National Championship because that will never happen. They'd need a 12-0 season and they'd have to be the only school to do it to get in.

Cue the trolls: "You mean neither team will ever win a big game." Or " Big game? Under Brewster beating South Dakota State was a big game" etc. etc. etc. :horse:

LOL. The Vikings just lost the NFC Championship game which means they are technically the third or fourth best team in the NFL and it was a narrow loss in overtime on the road. I would compare this with the Gophers going in ranked at #3 to play at the University of Texas or at USC and losing in overtime. I would say we would be a team that was relative if that happened.

The Gophers aren't even close to being able to compete with the best teams week in and week out, either in the Big Ten much less nationally. Us Gopher fans have suffered much MUCH more over the last 50 years than the Vikings have. It's not even close.

LOL. The Vikings just lost the NFC Championship game which means they are technically the third or fourth best team in the NFL and it was a narrow loss in overtime on the road. I would compare this with the Gophers going in ranked at #3 to play at the University of Texas or at USC and losing in overtime. I would say we would be a team that was relative if that happened.

The Gophers aren't even close to being able to compete with the best teams week in and week out, either in the Big Ten much less nationally. Us Gopher fans have suffered much MUCH more over the last 50 years than the Vikings have. It's not even close.

Even though the headline was "Which Team Gopher or Vikings" the question in the post was "
Both the Vikings and Gophers seemed to be cursed. Which team will finally win a big game?

implying future.

1. Better team now? Vikings by a longshot.
2. Better chance of winning a National Championship versus Super Bowl? "Super Bowl home boy". Can't see the Gophers ever being invited.
3. Better chance of winning Rose Bowl versus NFC Championship? Not a complete Vikings slam dunk here. A Big Ten team could go 6-2 in the Conference and even 9-3 overall and get to the Rose Bowl. They've been close to that twice in the last 10 years. Four more points in one game in either 1999 or 2003 would have got them to 9-3 (6-2) and 11-2 (6-2) records. Heck , last year as badly as their record was down the stretch and injured though they were they were 11 points from 9-3 in the regular season. "Ifs" "ands" I know...

The Vikings though, have actually been to the NFC Championship three times during that same period. Now in the near future without a big time QB, draft positioning, the NFL wanting to gut the revenue "help" system and an ownership that has spent a lot of money but is now in the "we have no cash flow without a new stadium" mode,it's not to far fetched to think that the Gophers will have a better chance of going 6-2 and to Pasadena then the Vikings do of going 14-2 or 13-3 and getting Home Field. That's something they appear to need to win a big playoff game.

However, as all long-suffering Gopher Fans know, the Gophers play all their best games on the road!:cool:

The Vikings were the NFL Champions in 1969.

The 1965 "NFL Championship" was the last to mean something. With the advent of AFL/NFL merger and the subsequent "World Championship Game" in January 1967 (later to become the Super Bowl)...and especially after the Jets beat the Colts in January 1969...

...the NFL Championship in 1969 meant...

...absolutely...

...nothing.

Division and Conference Championships without at least one real Super Bowl championship are "statistics for losers". Buffalo Bills, greatest 4 consecutive year chokers of all time or "4-peat AFC Champions"? Ugh.

The 1965 "NFL Championship" was the last to mean something. With the advent of AFL/NFL merger and the subsequent "World Championship Game" in January 1967 (later to become the Super Bowl)...and especially after the Jets beat the Colts in January 1969...

...absolutely...

...nothing.

Division and Conference Championships without at least one real Super Bowl championship are "statistics for losers". Buffalo Bills, greatest 4 consecutive year chokers of all time or "4-peat AFC Champions"? Ugh.

I know that. You know that. Now a few more people know that. Don't get so excited.

I know that. You know that. Now a few more people know that. Don't get so excited.

I just hate when people bring that up. Even Bud and the players on that team don't even bring it up...

Happy Birthday Vikings - You Chokers for 50 Years

...absolutely...

...nothing.

BTW, the Vikings were born 50 years ago today (January 28, 1960). They are 0-50 as far as winning it all, Super Bowl or NFL Championship. The Gophers earned 1 football national title in that same span of time, so they can claim one thing over the Vikings.

BTW, the Vikings were born 50 years ago today (January 28, 1960). They are 0-50 as far as winning it all, Super Bowl or NFL Championship. The Gophers earned 1 football national title in that same span of time, so they can claim one thing over the Vikings.

Technically the Vikings do have one NFL Championship(1969). They just lost that little Bowl game against the American Football League. Now don't get all excited about it like...........

Technically the Vikings do have one NFL Championship(1969). They just lost that little Bowl game against the American Football League. Now don't get all excited about it like...........

Yeah, 1969 was a little before my time as a Vikings fan, but from what I understand that was the Vikings' best shot at a title in that Super Bowl against the upstart AFL. I really can't think of a team in all of sports that has squandered away more talent and golden opportunities for a championship. The Red Sox were up there but they finally ended their World Series curse. So keep your heads up Vikings fans curses can and do end, although it make take 100 years or so. As for me, I'm off the Vikings bandwagon.

Is there even a debate here? Wouldn't you seemingly have to be in a big game to be cursed? the Vikings have lost them, but they have been there. The Gophers have not seen a big game since color tv! The Gophers are not cursed, they have simply been awful.

Is there even a debate here? Wouldn't you seemingly have to be in a big game to be cursed? the Vikings have lost them, but they have been there. The Gophers have not seen a big game since color tv! The Gophers are not cursed, they have simply been awful.

I guess you don't really appreciate the fact that since many Viking fans love to ridicule, make jokes about, or just plain ignore the Gopher football team, many of us in GopherHole look for opportunities to give it back to the Purple. This is the best time of the year for us because we can ALWAYS count on the Vikes to fail spectacularly in the playoffs. This year was one of the best ever in that regard because we were blessed with Saint Favre throwing another historic pass interception to cost his team a shot at the Super Bowl. Good times!

Top Bottom