Worst Announcer EVER!

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
Jay Walker was horrific last night. He kept calling Kirkwood, "Kirkland", and he had no idea where the first down markers were. How this guy keeps his job is anyone's guess. However, he might have a career as the next Biggie Smalls with those great rap skills.

Corrected. We don't need to see his ugly mug again!

Jay Walker was horrific last night. He kept calling Kirkwood, "Kirkland", .

Maybe he was just shopping at Costco and was confused with all the Kirkland brand stuff?

On ESPNU it is interesting to see the 'resume' of the pregame guys talking...I would love to see the 'resume' of the two announcers for our game last night.

I'm sure I will be beaten down for this, but I thought they were actually better than I expected. The first year of the BTN we had some I thought were worse and I thought the 2 for the Syracuse game last year were the worst.

I was watching it on a TV at Stub & Herbs and so couldn't hear the commentary - but the camera work and the on-screen production (down counts, markers, scoreboard etc.) were awful. It wasn't just the D-Squad announcers, it was the whole D-Squad crew!

On the other hand, I do really want one of those slim-t shirts now.

The Syracuse game was worse. You are correct on that. But, it is like saying getting puked on is worse than getting pooped on.

I was watching it on a TV at Stub & Herbs and so couldn't hear the commentary - but the camera work and the on-screen production (down counts, markers, scoreboard etc.) were awful. It wasn't just the D-Squad announcers, it was the whole D-Squad crew!

On the other hand, I do really want one of those slim-t shirts now.

I was at Stub's as well and couldn't hear a thing, which sounds like a good thing after reading these posts.

Dave Lee is still worse. I listened to the 4th quarter on 'CCO and I actually paid attention to his announcing. He really relies on Darrell and Dave to fill in the actual details of what's going on.

Dave Lee: The gophers are on offense. Weber back to pass he throws the ball. Wow.
You know what else is a wow, Washburn McReavey.

Darrell: yes that was a nice third down catch by Hoese for the first down.
Dave: It was for 10 yards and it came at a clutch moment becuase, etc...

Terrible.

Actually, it was Anish Shroff saying "Kirkland" and "first down Gophers" when they were 2-3 yards short. Jay Walker was the color guy.

Actually, it was Anish Shroff saying "Kirkland" and "first down Gophers" when they were 2-3 yards short. Jay Walker was the color guy.

And Anish Shroff is a Syracuse graduate and fan. The dots are connecting...

In all seriousness, I thought they were pretty bad but I didn't really expect much so I wasn't disappointed. Did anybody else hear that we had Mike Wallace on our defense, or was that just me?

I saw an earlier thread talking about how the Gopher Game was getting ESPN's D-team, which is understandable (MTSU, ESPNU, etc, etc.). But after the opening kickoff, which the play-by-play guy had us starting at the 16 yard line when in fact we were on the 21, I turned the sound off for the rest of the game, which I usually do anyway (I know, it's wierd). I have a hard time listening to most announcers anyway, I certainly wasn't going to listen to those guys.

I'm sure I will be beaten down for this, but I thought they were actually better than I expected. The first year of the BTN we had some I thought were worse and I thought the 2 for the Syracuse game last year were the worst.

Damn. How low were your expectations? I take it you buried them pretty deep ahead of time? :)

I think it's important to note that this (assignment of on-air and crew) has nothing to do with the Gophers. This wasn't a Gopher broadcast, it was an Anal Raider broadcast. If you noticed, the coverage, cut-ins, etc. were all Raider-centric. The Sun Belt has a contract with ESPNU, whereas the Big Ten does not. Just to pre-empt the inevitable, "Well, of course, it's ESPN - they have no respect for Minnesota."

The Syracuse game was worse. You are correct on that. But, it is like saying getting puked on is worse than getting pooped on.

Put me in the camp that would rather be puked on than pooped on.

Isn't Anish shroff one of the main espn analysts?

They were beyond bad, which was expected. The pair just couldn't seem to figure out the first down markers. And they must have told us 15 times that Hoese has never been tackled for a loss. Any ideas on who we'll get for the USC game?

They were beyond bad, which was expected. The pair just couldn't seem to figure out the first down markers. And they must have told us 15 times that Hoese has never been tackled for a loss. Any ideas on who we'll get for the USC game?

No idea but on his show this morning Dan Patrick said he's coming up for the game.

I think it's important to note that this (assignment of on-air and crew) has nothing to do with the Gophers. This wasn't a Gopher broadcast, it was an Anal Raider broadcast. If you noticed, the coverage, cut-ins, etc. were all Raider-centric. The Sun Belt has a contract with ESPNU, whereas the Big Ten does not. Just to pre-empt the inevitable, "Well, of course, it's ESPN - they have no respect for Minnesota."

I was seriously wondering about that. It seemed odd to me that they rarely showed our sideline other than when something went wrong and then they'd just show Brewster grimacing.

And Anish Shroff is a Syracuse graduate and fan. The dots are connecting...

In all seriousness, I thought they were pretty bad but I didn't really expect much so I wasn't disappointed. Did anybody else hear that we had Mike Wallace on our defense, or was that just me?

ME

Thank you for this post and also the one correcting the many who somehow thought Jay Walker was the PBP guy.

It's amazing how much people on this site complain about announcers and television broadcasts, but they have no clue what actually goes into it or can't even follow what is going on themselves.

Also, your post earlier about the mispronounciation of "Kirkland" was right on. While Shiroff was incorrect with his name, there is no doubt that the bigger mistake was the producer likely not communicating the correct surname to Shiroff, since he continued to butcher it repeatedly.

Good to know! I for one have no problem with ESPN, and have never heard of either one of these guys. I just figured, if we're on ESPNU, we're going to have a dumpy crew.

The play by play guy was brutal. As someone else said it started on the opening kickoff when he had the Gophs at the 16 when it was really the 21. I've never seen an announcer proclaim a first down when a team was 2 yards short. And then he just kept saying Bennet even though Eskridge was running the ball early in the game, even when the cameras were showing Eskridge leaving the field after just running the ball.

I've just never seen someone that bad.

They kept getting Eskridge and Bennett confused as well and they didn't seem to be able to properly read the down and distance.

Top Bottom