(Woodbury MN) Davidson-transfer Michael Jones in the portal

can somebody tell me.....what position is he? can he play some 2? is he strickly a 3?
No clue, but in general the old 1,2,3,4,5 positioning in basketball really isn't a thing anymore. You pretty much have 3 main categories of players....

Ball Handlers
Post Players
Everyone else

You need a handful of guys that can dribble and trigger the offense. A traditional point guard is great but not the necessity it used to be.

You need a couple guys that can play with their back to the basket and get rebounds. A traditional center is great if you can find one but those guys are getting harder and harder to find.

Everyone else kind of falls into the middle somewhere. Basketball has pretty much become layups/interior shots and 3s, the midrange game is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Not really sure that has anything to do with the discussion.

If you are looking for a guy like Jones to be your best player then that is a problem. If you are bringing him in to be a sharshooter and key part of the rotation he could be very effective.

We're pretty much in agreement. Of the other guards that were mentioned, Jones would be the best. We have nothing in the cupboard currently other than the unknown of a true Freshman. I have no issues taking Jones as long as we are also taking other guards who are better than him.

Walton and Larson are not better than him IMO.

can somebody tell me.....what position is he? can he play some 2? is he strickly a 3?
Aren't they pretty interchangeable these days? He could play the 2 on offense and guard their 3 on defense. We saw Ben roll out four guard lineups and Battle in the post, not ideal but it happens

I think Jones is a good player and have no problem taking him as a rotation player. I don't think he's a starter on a good B1G team. I would take him over Larson and Walton though.
I will disagree here. He's a starter. He can't be a number 1-3 guy, but as your 4th or 5th starter he is very valuable. He spaces the floor and is a very competent defender. Unless he chooses a place like Kentucky, I'd put a healthy healthy wager that he is starting on a P5 team next year. Can't say the team will be good, but that wouldn't be his fault if they weren't.

What’s the difference between a 2 and 3? Nothing. If he can shoot and defend someone on the other team then he can play.
no it is important....just looking at our roster Ihnen is a perfect example....he was at his best when he was at the 4 spot 2 years ago and it was noticeably different watching him there instead of he and pitino thinking he was a 3.....

he can shoot...that seems easy to determine...and those are needed regardless....
but what can he defend? is he quick enough to guard a 2? what if battle, fox, & Ihnen are on the court with this guy....can he be counted on to guard a quicker guard? cause the other 3 wont be able to...thats what im asking....
i mean its fun to say potionless basketball....but thats a term used by teams that either are elite and have the talent that it doesnt matter...of by teams that cant build the team correctly and are relying on a guy to do something he cant.

no it is important....just looking at our roster Ihnen is a perfect example....he was at his best when he was at the 4 spot 2 years ago and it was noticeably different watching him there instead of he and pitino thinking he was a 3.....

he can shoot...that seems easy to determine...and those are needed regardless....
but what can he defend? is he quick enough to guard a 2? what if battle, fox, & Ihnen are on the court with this guy....can he be counted on to guard a quicker guard? cause the other 3 wont be able to...thats what im asking....
i mean its fun to say potionless basketball....but thats a term used by teams that either are elite and have the talent that it doesnt matter...of by teams that cant build the team correctly and are relying on a guy to do something he cant.
In College basketball, your position is what you guard. Offensively, it varies on your skillset and the system. In Ben's offensive system last year, there was no difference between the 2 or the 3.

In College basketball, your position is what you guard. Offensively, it varies on your skillset and the system. In Ben's offensive system last year, there was no difference between the 2 or the 3.
well it would matter this year if Battle is playing the 3(which seems likeley he will with the roster make up).....if Jones and Battle are on the floor with 2 other bigs....whos guarding the "2" position

i agree with this past year when Willis/Lowew/Stephens on the court that they were all pretty interchangable.....but again on a bad team...

well it would matter this year if Battle is playing the 3(which seems likeley he will with the roster make up).....if Jones and Battle are on the floor with 2 other bigs....whos guarding the "2" position

i agree with this past year when Willis/Lowew/Stephens on the court that they were all pretty interchangable.....but again on a bad team...
Jones can guard most quick wings. He would guard the best wing for Davidson most games.

Why are they all in the floor together? There are 200 minutes per game. Rotations exist. If Johnson is a decent coach he can determine who can and can’t play together. To pass on a guy because he isn’t a typical “2” is insane. Plenty of guys guard multiple positions.

Why are they all in the floor together? There are 200 minutes per game. Rotations exist. If Johnson is a decent coach he can determine who can and can’t play together. To pass on a guy because he isn’t a typical “2” is insane. Plenty of guys guard multiple positions.
haha dude....it was a simple question...it wasnt life or death...i know nothing about the kid other then watching a couple highlights....i was just asking what positions he would be able to guard....that was it...at no point did i say we should pass on him....again a simple question

Does anybody else perceive UNC's Final 4 run as, "Of course, the 8 seed, with two impactful and likely MN transfer targets, makes a final 4 run, delaying their inevitable portal announcements and mucking the waters of which transfers we should offer. This delay will bite us."

My pleasure. It's impressive how well Davidson develops guys. The success of transfers from them to high majors is pretty successful.
Yeah, that guy this season, Grady, started all the games for Kentucky. McKillop sure is good at finding those overseas guys too.

Does anybody else perceive UNC's Final 4 run as, "Of course, the 8 seed, with two impactful and likely MN transfer targets, makes a final 4 run, delaying their inevitable portal announcements and mucking the waters of which transfers we should offer. This delay will bite us."
Would be more worried about that if we were seeing lots of guys committing to other schools from the portal. Haven't followed it super close but it seems like there have been a ton of guys going in but not that many settling on new schools to this point. Would expect to see that pick up a ton once the tournament ends.

For some reason the basketball gods are still upset with us. It’s been that way since the snow storm that kept us from hiring John Wooden.

Would be more worried about that if we were seeing lots of guys committing to other schools from the portal. Haven't followed it super close but it seems like there have been a ton of guys going in but not that many settling on new schools to this point. Would expect to see that pick up a ton once the tournament ends.
From just kind of looking at things, seeing 849 that entered the portal with 47 having found new schools.

When talking about Jones and to a larger extent Larson I personally think they are fits yes, my concern is that they turn into Loewe/Stephens and we get 2 more Daniels types. If we got 2 kids (say a starting quality PG and C) and these 2 were our "fall back" type options I would feel pretty good about it.

I would say none of us really have any idea the conversations Ben and other coaches are having or the info they have. I mean I looked at the ISU message board and they are penciling Garcia as their starting PF next year (with Gabe as their SG!). Who knows, say a Garcia or Walton reached out and said hey Ben FYI im in, just have to wait until we lose type thing. We dont really know, and its possible Ben doesnt know, thats the game you have to play. If you tell a larson or jones hey we want x y and z before you but if they are out you are in, maybe they move on maybe not. I would lean Jones first just because of his shooting and higher level of play but who knows his thoughts.

Overall again i am just more concerned about the end product, if we end up with 4 good options AWESOME, if we pass on guys like this and we end up with 4 guys who cant play well that is bad news. That is why Ben makes the big money, he is the one who has to navigate this.

Walton was 4* recruit.
He did have some nice games as a freshman. He has also had good opportunities this season as well. He was averaging ~15 min per game through mid February, but his numbers have significantly regressed compared to last season. That's not a good sign.
You’re right! I remember him being a 3 star earlier in the process and didn’t remember him being upgraded.

I agree it’s not a good sign, but clearly he has demonstrated the potential. And not just in HS or against low major competition. I would rather take a flier on him and hope Ben can turn him around than a middling grad transfer.

When talking about Jones and to a larger extent Larson I personally think they are fits yes, my concern is that they turn into Loewe/Stephens and we get 2 more Daniels types. If we got 2 kids (say a starting quality PG and C) and these 2 were our "fall back" type options I would feel pretty good about it.

I would say none of us really have any idea the conversations Ben and other coaches are having or the info they have. I mean I looked at the ISU message board and they are penciling Garcia as their starting PF next year (with Gabe as their SG!). Who knows, say a Garcia or Walton reached out and said hey Ben FYI im in, just have to wait until we lose type thing. We dont really know, and its possible Ben doesnt know, thats the game you have to play. If you tell a larson or jones hey we want x y and z before you but if they are out you are in, maybe they move on maybe not. I would lean Jones first just because of his shooting and higher level of play but who knows his thoughts.

Overall again i am just more concerned about the end product, if we end up with 4 good options AWESOME, if we pass on guys like this and we end up with 4 guys who cant play well that is bad news. That is why Ben makes the big money, he is the one who has to navigate this.
If we get any Charlie Daniels types that are necessary to do anything more than practice, it will be an abject failure in the portal. We can't expect All Conference performers, but we should be able to expect transfers who can compete in the B1G.

FWIW, according to Doogie, Dave Thorson had contacted Jones within 2 hours after Jones entered the portal.

Doogie further stated that the Gophers have "reached out to" - in Doogie's words - most of the top players currently in the portal. But, he said the think to watch is whether any of them agree to a virtual visit or an in-person visit.

as anyone who has ever done sales knows, you can cold-call everyone in the phone book, but that doesn't mean you're going to make a sale.

Would be a nice get. Quite frankly....we need guys who can play....and can play immediately while Johnson works on getting his own HS recruits into the program and ready to play. Really could use a center and another couple of ball handlers....but can't get choosy. If this kid being from Minnesota means that Johnson can grab him without investing a ton of time.....allowing him to focus more on other positions of need....then that's a huge win.
He is a definite take +40% 3pt shooter. Definitely still need a true center and two true PGs. A bird in the hand is worth two in the portal.

Career Stats​

See All
STATS
2020-21
2019-20

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Can he shoot well enough?

Top Bottom