(Woodbury MN) Davidson-transfer Michael Jones in the portal

This is a fair point as there are a number of posters that get way too hung up on the local angle with recruits.

Don't know much specifically about either of these guys. My hope is that Johnson goes out and brings in the best transfers he can, regardless of where they call home.
The clear reason many want to focus on local products is the belief we have a better chance to land them. Minnesota basketball just does not have a lot of appeal nationally right now. The chance to play in front of friends any family overcomes some of that.

FWIW, according to Doogie, Dave Thorson had contacted Jones within 2 hours after Jones entered the portal.

Doogie further stated that the Gophers have "reached out to" - in Doogie's words - most of the top players currently in the portal. But, he said the think to watch is whether any of them agree to a virtual visit or an in-person visit.

as anyone who has ever done sales knows, you can cold-call everyone in the phone book, but that doesn't mean you're going to make a sale.
Could not agree more...all the shots you don't take don't go in. Lots of guys I'm pretty sure don't make the calls.
Nothing is guaranteed but at least we have a chance to make a sale by making a lot of calls. Make enough calls and you will sell somebody by accident, worst case, or get a referral to somebody even better.

We finished last because of weak interior defense and rebounding. Good outside shooting kept us in some tight games. You need both to br good to move up in this league.
We need numbers...guys you can feel good about giving minutes to. For too long we have 7 guys on the roster who never play, usually because they are not good enough to play, but sometimes because the coach is stubbornly making a point to the player Recruit guys who can give you some minutes.in a game.

We need numbers...guys you can feel good about giving minutes to. For too long we have 7 guys on the roster who never play, usually because they are not good enough to play, but sometimes because the coach is stubbornly making a point to the player Recruit guys who can give you some minutes.in a game.
This is important. Look at Iowa. They are losing a ton of talent. Yet I look at their returning guys and they can still put a decent lineup on the floor with the rest of the roster.

Could not agree more...all the shots you don't take don't go in. Lots of guys I'm pretty sure don't make the calls.
Nothing is guaranteed but at least we have a chance to make a sale by making a lot of calls. Make enough calls and you will sell somebody by accident, worst case, or get a referral to somebody even better.

I'm fine with that but I think they should make as many calls to guys who aren't the top players but have some potential too. If you spend a month going after top guys and you don't get any of them, then a lot of players in the next tier are going to be gone too. Plus, I don't think it does a whole lot for your reputation to be seen on a bunch of offer lists for top players if you don't get any of them. You just look like a bigger loser.

And we will have the numbers next year you are looking to have. Battle, Fox, and Ihnen, a possibly ready Thompson, four freshmen, and three or four experienced transfers. Theses will all be guys who can actually play. Maybe add Thiam and the kid from the North Shore and you have a full roster.

We finished last because of weak interior defense and rebounding. Good outside shooting kept us in some tight games. You need both to br good to move up in this league.
would also add interior offense, but otherwise I think stated perfectly.

And we will have the numbers next year you are looking to have. Battle, Fox, and Ihnen, a possibly ready Thompson, four freshmen, and three or four experienced transfers. Theses will all be guys who can actually play. Maybe add Thiam and the kid from the North Shore and you have a full roster.
Yup, I agree we do need the four transfers who deserve minutes and get them...if that happens... I think it will. Then, I think we will surprise people next year. Just can't play 6 or 7 guys even 8...you look great and something happens and the next guy up is lost because he hasn't played or now you resort to 6 guys playing.
Exciting time really!

I'm fine with that but I think they should make as many calls to guys who aren't the top players but have some potential too. If you spend a month going after top guys and you don't get any of them, then a lot of players in the next tier are going to be gone too. Plus, I don't think it does a whole lot for your reputation to be seen on a bunch of offer lists for top players if you don't get any of them. You just look like a bigger loser.
Yes, it happens fast. Very much like musical chairs. Gotta know where you stand with these guys and grab the best you can actually get before the seats are all filled by faster acting coaches. I think we will....ha maybe :)

Top Bottom