Women's Hockey 2023-24 Season - Part 3: Playoffs

Minnesota's Abbey Murphy named a Patty Kazmaier Award Top 10 Finalist. This is the best player award.

ABBEY MURPHY​

University of Minnesota – Junior – Forward

Murphy_Abbey_052_small.JPG

Tied for third in the NCAA with 59 points (33G, 26A) in 37 games… Leads the NCAA in scoring… Ranks 19th in the NCAA in assists… Leads the NCAA with 13 power-play goals… Tied for fourth in NCAA with seven game-winning goals… Ranks second in the NCAA with 0.89 goals per game… Ranks sixth in the NCAA with 1.59 points per game… Tied for sixth in the NCAA with two short-handed goals… Represented Team USA at the November/December Rivalry Series… Serves as team alternate captain… Named WCHA Forward of the Month for December… Named WCHA Forward of the Week on two occasions (Oct. 16, Nov. 27)

My view: Abbey Murphy is my favorite. I love her astounding-maneuver scores. Her range of shots. I like her occasional showboat flair. She's fun.

I also respect Wisconsin players quite a bit. I don't know the Eastern teams well enough to comment except Sarah Fillier has been nominated twice.

If the game is on the line, I would go with Murphy. That's my vote.

RrrrrrEaDY tO RUmBLE!

Gophers in the playoffs against Badgers today!

After one period, Ohio State leads UMD 2-0. tOSU has 11 shots on goal compared to 7 for UMD. Winner advances to play the winner of the Gophers-Badgers game.

All times listed EST

All times listed EST

Ohio State now leads the strong defense-goaltending UMD 4-0 after two. Four different players scored. Playing Ohio State is like taking a bath, a bloodbath. The Gophers offense last season was like that.

The modern NBA has become a positionless game of basketball. Positions are blurred. At most, positions are either ball handlers, post players, and wings, with even post players stretching out.

Ohio State this season is kinda like that. Not one player makes the top 15 for scoring -- there is no star shooting guard -- and instead lots of players make the leader board further down. Everyone makes assists -- there is no one point guard. Everyone on this upperclassmen team plays stout defense.

Now 5 different tOSU skaters have scored while shutting out UMD late in the 3rd period.

Sort of... I am making a point about how good they are, probably one of the best in NCAA history.

Last edited:

After one period, GOPHERS LEAD 2-1.

For Wisconsin, as the game was about to start, Simms was skating around in a more obvious way, others just mostly standing. She is the NCAA leading scorer and WCHA Forward of the Year. Then to open the game Simms made a beautiful score, and then she slid on one knee as a celebratio , which Abbey Murphy does. Not sure if that's her thing too, an "in your face," or just anyone.

Murphy was roughed up and the other player sent to the box plus Murphy was sent for embellishment. More like agitating.

Right now Gophers will open the 2nd in a power play after Murphy was taken down on the ice on way to the goal.

Earlier in the game Murphy skating by the Wisconsin bench to her bench momentarily seemed to get in the face of a Wisconsin player on the bench.

Last edited:

Gophers just got jobbed. We are sitting on top of the play. Gopher got taken down. Gophers called for a penalty.

Coach Frost not happy. And then Wisconsin scores.

20240308_174114.jpg

Oh, and now again immediately after Phantom call on Gophers again.

2-2 after two periods. Gophers played good hockey and survived some high-powered Wisconsin power plays.

Wow. 2 minutes left in the game.

GOPHERS LEAD 3--2.

Nelli Laitinen to Peyton Help for the score.

Unreal, Badgers tie the game at 8 seconds left. Gophers so close to the win.

Game goes to overtime.

Once Wisconsin scored with 8 seconds remaining, you just knew they were gonna lose. Gophers had nothing going in OT, they got some looks here and there but they couldn't sustain an ozone attack. Let's just hope they play better in the NCAA tournament.

Tragic-drama ending. Gophers had it and had the type of game that leads to victory over Wisconsin.

Gophers were ahead with 8 seconds in the game.

Would a better Gophers goaltender have stopped those last two?

In overtime, Badgers came out and outplayed Minnesota. Minnesota held. Minnesota then made several excellent attacks. One just missed on a great chance. Minnesota, too many turnover passes or sloppy trying to clear the puck.

WCHA refs, horrible. One straight goal to Wisconsin at least.

Eden with the game winner.

To me it feels like a bad loss. In reality, a tied match someone had to win. Wisconsin overall the better season.

Last edited:

Out East:

#6 Cornell lost to #5 Colgate.

#7 St Lawrence lost to #3 Clarkson.

Minnesota will hold in the polls. Leading Wisconsin until 8 second left and losing in overtime is respectable against massive firepower Wisconsin. Minnesota wouldn't drop lower than 5 and should stay at #4.

Tomorrow, big games for titles and NCAA tournament automatic bids:

#1 Ohio St versus #2 Wisconsin.

#3 Clarkson versus #5 Colgate.

#10 UConn versus #13 Northeastern.

Franklin Pierce versus Stonehill.

Keep an eye on the Colgate game. That would have ramifications for Minnesota's ranking.

Penn State will represent the CHA conference after winning the CHA tournament.

The 2024 NC women's ice hockey championship begins with a selection show on March 10 at 11 AM CST on ESPNews and continues through the national semifinals and championship game on March 22 and 24 at Whittemore Center Arena in Durham, New Hampshire.

2024 NC women's ice hockey championship schedule​

Here is the schedule for the 2024 NC women's ice hockey championship (subject to change):

• Regionals | March 14-17

• 2024 Women's Frozen Four| March 22- 24
    • Semifinals — Friday, March 22 at 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
    • National championship game — Sunday, March 24 at 4 p.m. ET | ESPNU.

The NCAA tournament consists of 11 total teams, with each of the top four seeds hosting a regional site. Five teams will qualify by earning an automatic bid as conference champions, while the remaining entrants will be selected at large.

➡️ Click or tap here to see the interactive bracket

-----------------------------

The 2024 NC women's ice hockey championship begins with a selection show on March 10 at 11 AM CST on ESPNews and continues through the national semifinals and championship game on March 22 and 24 at Whittemore Center Arena in Durham, New Hampshire.

2024 NC women's ice hockey championship schedule​

Here is the schedule for the 2024 NC women's ice hockey championship (subject to change):

• Regionals | March 14-17

• 2024 Women's Frozen Four| March 22- 24
    • Semifinals — Friday, March 22 at 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
    • National championship game — Sunday, March 24 at 4 p.m. ET | ESPNU.

The NCAA tournament consists of 11 total teams, with each of the top four seeds hosting a regional site. Five teams will qualify by earning an automatic bid as conference champions, while the remaining entrants will be selected at large.

-----------------------------

This is last year's bracket for comparison and guidance:

"I'm really proud of our group," head coach Brad Frost said. "Man, they battled and competed. I thought we played really well and Skylar made some great saves. In the end, we couldn't find a way to win it, even though we had some chances. We were right there against a very good opponent."

Head Coach Mark Johnson
On the Badgers finding success in overtime to head to the championship game:

"The third period becomes a game of chess. Unfortunately, we take a couple of penalties in the last seven minutes and they capitalized, but again, perseverance, we're able to have a good mindset. We found that way to get the chance and in overtime it comes down to someone making a play, somebody trying to create an opportunity and somebody trying to get the puck to the back of the net. Ava made a couple of real nice saves on a couple of flurries that they had early on, so we lived another day and we have an opportunity to play tomorrow for a trophy."

On gaining experience from challenging games:

"You gain experience from these types of games. Go out tomorrow the same way they went out tonight, just play free. Don't worry about making mistakes, don't worry about this or that, just play free. If we play up to our capabilities, we can be pretty good. It's our job to get mentally ready to go against a really solid opponent. It's up to us what we want to do with that challenge."

Junior Lacey Eden
On gaining momentum after Casey O'Brien's goal:

"After we got that one with eight seconds left in regulation, momentum was totally on our side. We were buzzing, we were knocking at the back of the next for a while, lots of good chances. Sometimes the puck ends up on your stick in the slot area, Britta made a nice play, and you just get the puck to the net. You never know what's going to happen."

Ohio State's Nadine Muzerall named WCHA coach of the year.

And a vigorous condemnation to the leaders of the WCHA for the outrageous officiating. I am thinking of walking away from this sport, it's such a disgrace what happened to Minnesota this year.

I would never under any circumstances give my consumer dollars to businesses that bad. The WCHA is a full disgrace.

Earlier, a full theft of a Gophers win over Ohio State. WCHA leaders and officiating are a disgrace.

Theft in the Wisconsin game. Simply SHOCKING.

2024 NC women's ice hockey championship bracket:​

Selection show
| Sunday, March 10 at 11 CST | Click here to watch on ESPNews

Regionals | March 14-17

Scores Today on Championship Saturday

Fantastic game between #5 Colgate and #3 Clarkson. Both teams are really good. Great effort! Unbelievable goaltending by Michelle Pasiechnyk for Clarkson and especially Kayle Osborne for Colgate. They are both impressive teams.

Colgate led 1-0 until the very end, a close, intense game. Then a fast-hustling Colgate put in two empty-netters.

Colgate wins their 3rd ECAC championship. Colgate receives an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Clarkson will make the tournament as a top-ranked team.

1710029936817.png

In other games:

#2 Wisconsin defeated #1 Ohio State 6-3. Wisconsin forward Casey O'Brien was named the 2024 Kwik Trip WCHA Final Faceoff Most Valuable Player. Wisconsin earned an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Ohio State will make it as a high-ranked team.

#10 UConn defeated #13 Northeastern to win the HockeyEast tournament for the first time. Is UConn the new kid on the block? UConn is in the NCAA tournament while Northeastern is done.

Stonehill defeated Franklin Pierce to win the NEWHA. Stonehill advances to the NCAA tournament while Franklin Pierce is done.

Penn State had already advanced.

#5 Minnesota Gophers will advance as probably still a #5 seed.

SELECTION SUNDAY IS 11 AM. WATCH WHO THE GOPHERS WILL PLAY IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT

Selection show| Sunday, March 10 at 11 CST | Click here to watch on ESPNews

2024 NC women's ice hockey championship bracket:​

Last edited:

2025 Tournament to be Held in Duluth

The Western Collegiate Hockey Association officially announced Saturday that the 2025 Kwik Trip Final Faceoff will be hosted by the University of Minnesota Duluth and held at Amsoil Arena in Duluth, Minn. on March 7-8, 2025.

-------

Izzy Daniel of Cornell named ECAC Player of the Year and Forward of the Year

NCAA Tournament Bracket Set

#5 Minnesota and #4 Clarkson draw byes but then have tough opening games. They play each other at Clarkson.

The winner would face the winner of the #1 Ohio State game, a tough draw.

#8 UMD was last in. They get no bye but play #10 UConn.

#1 Ohio State held onto the top seed, gets a bye, and will host. They will play the winner of the #8 UMD - #10 UConn game in Columbus.

#2 Wisconsin gets a bye and hosts. Wisconsin will play the winner of the #7 St Lawrence vs #12 Penn State game at Wisconsin.

#6 Cornell gets the easiest first game against Stonehill.

#3 Colgate hosts and gets the bye. Colgate plays the winner of the #6 Cornell-Stonehill game. The winner then advances to face the winner of the Wisconsin game.

Toss-up between Gophers and Clarkson and if by some miracle they make it past the first round they're just gonna get beat by Ohio State anyways. Gophers need everything go right for them to even has a sniff at the national championship because they are not getting through on talent alone.

Minnesota seems to have fallen behind the likes of WI and OSU in both mens' and womens' hockey in recent years. As a fan without a close knowledge of hockey, I wonder why that is. Any explanations?

It is a difference in recruiting. It is the Lake Wobegon effect--all our children are above average. We are slow in transitioning from the "We can win with all Minnesota kids" to realizing that hockey is becoming more national and international and there are a lot of outstanding hockey players elsewhere. Second, the women's team has no Canadians.
Third, we might not be competitive enough in the NIL. Ohio State has 7 Minnesotans, 6
Canadians, no internationals, and only ONE from Ohio. Wisconsin has 3 Minnesotans, 5 Canadians, no internationals, and 3 from Wisconsin. Minnesota has 18 Minnesotans, 0 Canadians, and 4 International. We are the State of Hockey but we are feeding a lot of players across the country. If we want to be the top program, we have to recruit the best players from wherever.
Minnesota seems to have fallen behind the likes of WI and OSU in both mens' and womens' hockey in recent years. As a fan without a close knowledge of hockey, I wonder why that is. Any explanations?

Last season the Gopher had the highest powered offense in the NCAA. They have had opportunities. Ohio State was the better team but Gophers were #2 legit.

In the Frozen Four game against Wisconsin they had the game winning goal called off as high stick and lost in overtime to underdog Wisconsin in OT.

And then over 60% of offense graduated including #1 overall PWHL draft pick Taylor Heise, Grace Zumwinkle, and Abigail Boreen -- and playing pro in the PWHL.

Another factor is, kids have choices in what college experience they want. One top Minnesota player is headed to the Ivy league school Cornell, or maybe it will be Princeton. Minnesota is the best state but not everyone wants the same thing.

Another aspect I've been curious about is recruiting from Michigan and Illinois. Who gets those kids? I've looked some.

I don't know enough about NIL in women's hockey. When I looked at DA, I didn't see players listed. There must be something to it because Gophers have some great players coming in.

Ohio State has a really great coach. As much as I don't like them they've put themselves at the top and probably hanging around a while. Ohio State is the newish elite team, since the coach arrived.

News

Last season the Gopher had the highest powered offense in the NCAA. They have had opportunities. Ohio State was the better team but Gophers were #2 legit.

In the Frozen Four game against Wisconsin they had the game winning goal called off as high stick and lost in overtime to underdog Wisconsin in OT.

And then over 60% of offense graduated including #1 overall PWHL draft pick Taylor Heise, Grace Zumwinkle, and Abigail Boreen -- and playing pro in the PWHL.

Another factor is, kids have choices in what college experience they want. One top Minnesota player is headed to the Ivy league school Cornell, or maybe it will be Princeton. Minnesota is the best state but not everyone wants the same thing.

Another aspect I've been curious about is recruiting from Michigan and Illinois. Who gets those kids? I've looked some.

I don't know enough about NIL in women's hockey. When I looked at DA, I didn't see players listed. There must be something to it because Gophers have some great players coming in.

Ohio State has a really great coach. As much as I don't like them they've put themselves at the top and probably hanging around a while. Ohio State is the newish elite team, since the coach arrived.
Our first line scores 80% of the goals none are from the state the goalie with the best save% and numbers is not from the state I don’t know what’s going on but all that matters is wins and Wisconsin owns us last year and this year time to change it up

Both #4 Clarkson and #5 Minnesota have tough opponents in their openers, they play each other. They get a bye and then face off. Winner goes to the Frozen Four.

"[Coach Brad] Frost said the semifinal loss [to Wisconsin] gave the Gophers a boost.

"Those are the top two teams in the country [Wisconsin then beat Ohio State], and we can play with them," Frost said. "We know that.

"Our team has played very, very well in our last three games. We're playing the right way. We're giving ourselves an opportunity to win. I think the confidence is high for our group."

Clarkson was shut out 3-0 by Colgate in Saturday's ECAC tournament title game. The Knights were runners-up to Colgate in the league's regular-season standings and had won seven in a row before Saturday's loss.

Clarkson features the nation's best defense, led by ECAC Goaltender of the Year Michelle Pasiechnyk. The Knights allow 1.18 goals per game, and Pasiechnyk's eight shutouts are tied for most in the nation."

The Clarkson-Colgate game was a close 1-goal game until Clarkson had to pull their goalie. Clarkson entered that game ranked #3 nationally.

1710160000564.png

Rosters:

NCAA Stats:

ECAC conference website:

WCHA conference website:

Top Bottom