Women's Hockey 2023-24 Season -- Part 1: Preseason/Offseason

Per Youth Hockey Hub:

"Jake Bobrowski and Natalie Darwitz have accepted the co-head coaching position at Hill-Murray. The two have a long history coaching together both at Hamline and the University of Minnesota.

With a stockpile of talent coming in, the Pioneers are a powerhouse in the making."

By DAVID LA VAQUE , STAR TRIBUNE
June 07, 2023 - 12:52 PM

Natalie Darwitz last stood behind the bench of a girls hockey high school program in the 2015 Class 2A state tournament with Lakeville South. And now, a legend of the game is back on the prep scene...

I want coach Brad Frost to succeed. He's a good coach. I support him. He's won multiple Frozen Four NCAA championships.

I also like heat on his seat. Minnesota has not won an NCAA tournament since 2016. That cannot continue. This is Minnesota.

I like Natalie Darwitz a lot. I would love to see her come back to Minnesota as coach if Frost doesn't get it done.

I am a Darwitz supporter. And a Frost supporter.

Darwitz took a nobody Hamline program to the Frozen Four. She won Coach of the Year:

She was the leading scorer in the Olympic in 2006 and 2010. She is in the US Hockey Hall of Fame:

She is a Minnesotan to the max:

I'd be curious what the differences were as to coaching between Brad Frost and Natalie Darwitz.
Gophers are knocking on the door for a championship but not getting the title that is overdue for Minnesota.

Peyton Hemp, Madison Kaiser, Abbey Murphy, Skylar Vetter and Madeline Wethington -- and six alumni -- will represent the Maroon and Gold at 2023 USA Hockey Women’s National Festival in Lake Placid, N.Y. from Aug. 7-13.

Way to go Gophers!

Peyton Hemp, Madison Kaiser, Abbey Murphy, Skylar Vetter and Madeline Wethington -- and six alumni -- will represent the Maroon and Gold at 2023 USA Hockey Women’s National Festival in Lake Placid, N.Y. from Aug. 7-13.

Way to go Gophers!

Forward Peyton Hemp is a junior this upcoming season originally from Andover high School (shoots right). She impressed as a freshman, winning national and WCHA rookie of then year. Last year as a sophomore she earned the 4th most goals and 7th most points on the team. In the past she has been impressive for Team USA. I think last season she was close to more production that didn't quite payoff. She's right at the edge of being an elite producer. Keep an eye on her.

1689166624521.png

Her younger sister Josie Hemp joins the Gophers this season on defense. She played for Minnetonka.

Forward Madison Kaiser impressed as a lefty freshman last season and will be a sophomore. She attended Andover and Holy Family high schools where she became a top prospect and also earned success with Team USA. I don't know how high her ceiling is but she was impressive as a freshman.

Forward Abbey Murphy is an attack and score menace (shoots right). She is the one player I would most want to count on if I had to have a clutch goal. "Deadly" is a good descriptor for her scoring ability. Last season she finished second in the NCAA and second on the team with goals -- and only in her sophomore season. A few months ago, she produced big for Team USA in beating Canada for the championship. Yea, we can use the phrase "rock star" for Murphy.

Goaltender Skylar Vetter played exceptional for the Gophers in post-season tournaments this last season, showing she can be that elite puck stopper. She previously earned most valuable player for Team USA in winning a gold with her under 18 team. Last season there were some moments when the Gophers defense and goaltending weren't at that top status (perhaps partly because the Gophers ran an attack offense that was best in the NCAA by far). I fully believe Vetter is an elite-top-4 goaltender in the NCAA this next season. She played hockey for Lakeville North boys hockey team.

1689166710142.png

Madeline Wethington on defense is a lefty senior for the Gophers this next season. To be honest I don't know the defenders well enough to comment more but she earned many accoladed (and I am going to pay more attention to defense this next season). Wethington came to the Gophers from Blake and then became the WCHA Rookie of the Year for Minnesota. She's been productive for Team USA.

I want coach Brad Frost to succeed. He's a good coach. I support him. He's won multiple Frozen Four NCAA championships.

I also like heat on his seat. Minnesota has not won an NCAA tournament since 2016. That cannot continue. This is Minnesota.

I like Natalie Darwitz a lot. I would love to see her come back to Minnesota as coach if Frost doesn't get it done.

I am a Darwitz supporter. And a Frost supporter.

Darwitz took a nobody Hamline program to the Frozen Four. She won Coach of the Year:

She was the leading scorer in the Olympic in 2006 and 2010. She is in the US Hockey Hall of Fame:

She is a Minnesotan to the max:
Does anyone know what the motivation for Darwitz to leave was? Going to Co-Coaching a high school team looks to me to be at least 2.5 steps down, from a coaching career standpoint. Is she going to be teaching at the school too? I can't imagine being a Co-Head HS hockey coach pays more than 10K/year. This was a shocking move to me.

Does anyone know what the motivation for Darwitz to leave was? Going to Co-Coaching a high school team looks to me to be at least 2.5 steps down, from a coaching career standpoint. Is she going to be teaching at the school too? I can't imagine being a Co-Head HS hockey coach pays more than 10K/year. This was a shocking move to me.

If I had to take a few wild guesses... I do not know but...

She is dedicated to life in Minnesota. She likes it here. She has passed on college coaching jobs.

AD Mark Coyle put Coach Frost in a get it done scenario where he either gets an extension or Coyle makes a change. He kicked Darwitz out of the nest so she is removes from what goes down either way. She would come in some day, next year or a few yeara down the road, if a change happens.

Or curiously the Harvard job opened up right at the time she left and still is not filled. Harvard has been to four championship games, losing them all. Problem there is she has a job this season and may not want to leave Minnesota.

I do like Frost a lot, but as Sid Hartman said, win baby win.

If I had to take a few wild guesses... I do not know but...

She is dedicated to life in Minnesota. She likes it here. She has passed on college coaching jobs.

AD Mark Coyle put Coach Frost in a get it done scenario where he either gets an extension or Coyle makes a change.

Seems like that makes sense, almost would seem like there might be some bad blood for her to leave such a high profile position on the staff unless she just totally disagreed with the way he ran the ship.

Anyone know what the current term of Frost's contract is? i.e. when it was last renewed and when it is up for extension.

Seems like that makes sense, almost would seem like there might be some bad blood for her to leave such a high profile position on the staff unless she just totally disagreed with the way he ran the ship.

Anyone know what the current term of Frost's contract is? i.e. when it was last renewed and when it is up for extension.

"The University of Minnesota has agreed to a three-year contract extension with Gopher women's hockey head coach Brad Frost that will keep Frost with the Maroon & Gold through the 2023-24 season."

There was a blurb in the Minneapolis paper stating why at the time it took place. Apparently, Darwitz had a difference of opinion with Frost as to the direction/planning of the team. Frost won out.

There was a blurb in the Minneapolis paper stating why at the time it took place. Apparently, Darwitz had a difference of opinion with Frost as to the direction/planning of the team. Frost won out.

Yes. That is the official story.

Or maybe Coyle has Frost in the last year of his contract when he can sack him without any payout, and Darwitz conveniently is out of the picture during this last season the ax comes down.

And if Frost wins the Final Four then he gets extended.

Looks like Darwitz is being considered for a GM role.

Natalie Darwitz is going to lead the front office of Minnesota's new Professional Women's Hockey League franchise — and make the No. 1 pick in the expansion draft.

It sounds like the teams will choose free agent players first, and then they will draft players. The new Minnesota team will have a Minnesota-leaning roster.

Interesting story unfolding...

www.sportsnet.ca/women-hockey/article/pwhl-free-agency-primer-where-poulin-knight-nurse-could-go-and-why/

Here’s how this initial free agency period works:

• Beginning Friday at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT, each of the league’s six teams has 10 days to sign three players. These contracts will be crucial in creating the foundation of each roster. Contracts can carry a maximum annual average value of $80,000 (all figures USD). with a maximum term of three years.

• This initial free agency period ends on Sept. 10. At that time, all unsigned players will enter the draft, which will be held on Sept. 18. (Players need to declare their own draft eligibility by Sept. 3.)

• By January, each team must have six players signed to three-year pacts worth no less than $80,000 per league year. So, this initial period really is only the beginning. All other contracts will carry one- and two-year terms....

Now, comes the fun part:

Which stars will sign first PWHL deals?

Kendall Coyne Schofield | Forward, Team USA,

It’s important to note here that she gave birth to her first child earlier this summer, and should be afforded all the time she needs before returning to the ice. But the opportunity to bring in one of the best leaders, biggest stars and fastest skaters in the game will have teams lining up to build a roster around her, even if she may not open the season.

Best guess: Minneapolis-St. Paul

Lee Stecklein | Defence, Team USA, Age: 29

A veteran defender in the prime of her career, Stecklein brings size, skill and a steady hand to a team looking to build around a solid blue line. A fixture on Team USA’s defence corps, she’s got a trophy case filled with hardware and has worn a letter on her sweater at every stop.

Best guess: Minneapolis-St. Paul

1693687592264.png

-----------

Minneapolis-St. Paul won the draft lottery and picks #1. The draft happens after the initial free agency period.

Taylor Heise of the Gophers would be a likely #1 overall pick.

1693688145876.png

One last look at last season's leaders:

1693784552585.png

Taylor Heise, Sophie Jaques, and Emma Soderberg graduated. Caroline Harvey with be a menace for years.

Minnesota Gophers won the 2022-23 WCHA Final Faceoff Tournament:

1693785195584.png

Ohio State won the WCHA regular season championship:

1693784797992.png

And then a young Wisconsin team snuck through the backdoor to win the NCAA Frozen Four tournament, beating Minnesota in overtime to advance to the championship game:

1693785037450.png

Gophers reload and reload season after season to contend every year for #1. Wisconsin will be tough because Wisconsin was young and upcoming last season already, and Ohio State will be in that same group of competitors. UMD is a half-grade behind the other three.

Out of the gate this next season I'd have to say Wisconsin gets the top seed followed by Minnesota.

And then we have another world of the strong eastern women's hockey teams...

Attachments

• 1693784701718.png
    1693784701718.png
    119 KB · Views: 0

And another high-profile former Gophers women's gophers hockey player is Amanda Kessel playing at an elite level today. She's an executive in the NHL for the Pittsburgh Penguins. It's unclear to me who she will play for in the new professional women's hockey league and how her executive role intersects with that.

"Amanda Kessel won't play for Team USA in international competition this year according to a recent report on NHL.com.

Kessel was hired earlier this offseason as a new special assistant to president of hockey operations and general manager with the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins.

According to the article, Kessel "said she's going to take a year off from playing for the U.S. to focus on her new position and to train in preparation for the new women's professional hockey league that's set to debut in January."

"Not knowing all the details and whatnot and having this great opportunity, I'm kind of going to take a step back and kind of see how everything goes and reevaluate," Kessel said.

Kessel scored nine points in seven games for Team USA at the recent World Championships helping her team to gold."

1693828669298.png

1693828714142.png

1693828547153.png

1693828463374.png

Apparently the Minnesota team will play at Xcel Energy Center.

Quote from The Athletic: "Kasten said not every home game will be in a team’s home venue. Some games will be held at neutral sites, outside of the league’s original six markets, in collaboration with the NHL. The PWHL and its players are also expected to appear at NHL events, like the Winter Classic and All-Star games."

Minnesota​

When you know you can draft Taylor Heise or Alina Muller first overall, and likely pick up another young talent, perhaps a player like Grace Zumwinkle in the second or third round, you can look at other positions and roles in free agency.

Minnesota native Lee Stecklein would provide top pairing security now and into the future, and the team could also lock in a future Hockey Hall of Famer in netminder Noora Raty who lives in Minnesota. She's the best active goalie on the planet, and although she's aging, the depth of young netminders coming up gives Minnesota a few seasons to worry about the next wave, but without stress.

Finally, if there's an American born players teams will be fighting over in free agency, it's Abby Roque. She's a pest, and physical. She scores and is a fan favorite. Minnesota would be lucky to lock her in to help with the heavy lifting alongside whichever generational talent they select with the first pick.

Wildcard to watch: It's presumed Amanda Kessel will try to stay in the east closer to her new job with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but she's a Minnesota legend at the NCAA level, and the right offer could reunite her with the state of hockey.

Historic story unfolding... that impacts Gophers women hockey players of the present, past and future. The new PWHL (professional women's hockey league) appears closer to an NHL-clone than prior attempts. Other pro leagues didn't include the top players.

Free agency has started. Teams are required to sign a handful of star players.

Then teams will draft players coming out of college and remaining free agents.

-----------------------

Here is news today:

The best woman player in the world, Marie-Philip Poulin, has signed with Montreal:

"Montreal’s PWHL team is expected to sign forwards Marie-Philip Poulin and Laura Stacey, as well as goaltender Anne-Renee Desbiens to deals. Poulin is one of the most successful players in women’s hockey history. The 32-year-old has won gold in three Olympics, three World Championships and is a two-time CWHL champ with the Montreal Canadiennes. Poulin is known for scoring big goals in championship games, including the winning goals during the 2010 and 2014 Olympics. Earlier this year, Poulin became the fourth Canadian player to reach triple digits."

Marie-Philip Poulin became the first female hockey player to win Canada’s Athlete of the Year after captaining the national team at the Winter Olympics and winning her third gold medal. Nine different male hockey players won Canada Athlete of the Year -- now called the Northern Star Award -- since its inception in 1936, led by Wayne Gretzky‘s four titles. Sidney Crosby won it in 2007 and 2009, and Carey Price was the most recent in 2015.

No news yet on Minnesota free agent signings.

1693965360225.png
Three Gophers stars destined for pro hockey are Taylor Heise (#27 just graduated), Grace Zumwinkle (#13 just graduated), and Amanda Kessel (#28 former Gophers great).

Center Taylor Heise of the Minnesota Gophers then projects to be the #1 overall pick in the historic first pro draft. Actually, a few players are worthy of #1-overall consideration, Heise being the best of them. Toronto has the #2 pick followed by Boston, New York and Ottawa.

1693966088545.png
Taylor Heise of the Gophers

This link has a top-25 ranking of the top women's hockey players:

8. Taylor Heise

Centre, USA; Age 22; Previous TSN rank: N/R; 2022 Worlds: 7-7-11-18

The next USA superstar emerged at this year’s world championship. After winning the Patty Kazmaier Award earlier in the year, Heise led the worlds in scoring with 18 points in seven games, also picking up MVP honours. According to Alyssa Longmuir, she also led the tournament in G60 (average goals scored per 60 minutes played) with 10.43. Heise was a threat every time she was on the ice, and her line with Alex Carpenter and Amanda Kessel was one the most prolific at the worlds. She possesses a strong individual skillset and isn’t afraid to take on players 1-on-1.

This article below projects possible free agents for the new Minnesota pro team:

Minnesota
Abby Roque (C)
Lee Stecklein (LD)
Hannah Brandt (C)
HM: Kelly Pannek (C)
The Goalie: Maddie Rooney (G)

"Minnesota has so many hockey players, it's incredible what their local programs have accomplished. First on the roster should be Abby Roque, superstar for the USA and the first Indigenous player (Wahnapitae First Nation) to skate for the USA. She's joined by Lee Stecklein, the first pair defender for the USA, and Hannah Brandt, the first line centre (or center) for the USA.

What will be difficult is choosing only two of these players if the team want to sign Maddie Rooney, one of the USA's goalies. Kelly Pannek was the 3C on the USA, so they're spoiled for choice in the forests over there. Regardless of who they get before the draft, Minnesota will be an instant juggernaut."

The article projects Gophers great Amanda Kessel to play in New York. Makes sense; the media capital of the world needs a star like Kessel. She is/was an executive on the east coast, for the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins, and probably needs to stay out east. I'd still love to see her in Minnesota.

"Kessel is a massive name in the sport and having her in New York would be a big win for the marketing department."

The new league has some NHL cooperation and support:

Update adds:

Top Women Goaltenders:

Keep an eye on UMD's elite Emma Soderberg graduating this season. She would be great to initially play behind and succeed one of the older elite goaltenders.

3. Emma Soderberg - Perhaps another Canadian or American netminder could on paper take this spot from Soderberg, but the 25-year-old has shown years of consistency at the NCAA, SDHL, and World Championship levels, including being named top goaltender this year. The reigning WCHA Goalie of the Year and World Championship Best Goaltender can steal games, and will be a consistent presence for years to come.

10. Noora Raty - It's hard to discount a future Hall of Famer. What will give teams a moment to pause with Raty is her age. At 34, Raty still has a few seasons left, and every time she's stepped on the ice Raty looks dialed in. Raty paired with a budding star, whether it's Abstreiter, Levy, Schroeder, or someone else, would be a dream team to contend with. Raty would like to stay in Minnesota, and has something to prove. She was destined to make her North American return with the Metropolitan Riveters this year. To grab a player of this calibre, she's worth the short term risk.

Top Defenders:

The pool of number one defenders is shallow. From Team USA Megan Keller and Lee Stecklein (Gophers great alumni) are two of the best in the world followed by Renata Fast, Erin Ambrose, Claire Thompson, and Jocelyne Larocque from Team Canada.

Last edited:

Former Gophers Pannek and Stecklein Sign With Minnesota PWHL Franchise​

MINNEAPOLIS – Two former Gophers have agreed to terms with Minnesota's Professional Women's Hockey League franchise, the team announced Wednesday.

Kelly Pannek and Lee Stecklein have signed three-year free agent contracts with Minnesota. The Gopher duo will reunite with their former assistant coach Natalie Darwitz, who serves as the general manager of the Minnesota franchise. Joining the former Gophers among the team's first signings is fellow Olympian Kendall Coyne Schofield, formerly of Northeastern University.

Pannek joins the newly-created league with an extensive international and collegiate resume, including winning the gold medal at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games with the U.S. Women's National Team in PyeongChang, South Korea. Pannek also earned gold medals at the 2018 Four Nations Cup and at the 2017 IIHF Women's World Championship.

During her time at the 'U' Pannek and the Gophers were 2015-16 NCAA National Champions, a season in which the Plymouth, Minn. native scored 23 goals and 26 assists.

Stecklein, an Olympic silver medalist, took home runner-up team honors at the 2014 Olympic Games while being the youngest member of Team USA. In other international competition, the Roseville, Minn. native has earned a gold medal with Team USA while competing at the Four Nations Cup in 2016, as well as three gold medals at the IIHF Championships in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

During her career with the Maroon and Gold, Stecklein helped the Gophers to a national championship in the 2014-15 season.

Where will the PWHL Play?
The New York PWHL team is rumored to play at USB Arena on Long Island (near Queens), home of the New York Islanders. That would be a big presence -- and presumable expensive unless the rent was near break-even operating costs price.

Ottawa PWHL will play at TD Place Arena.

For Boston, Stan Kasten, president of the Los Angeles Dodgers and member of the PWHL Board of Directors, told reporters during a video conference Tuesday. “Boston provided several different alternatives for venues, some big and some small, and places to train."

Some games will be at neutral sites:

As mentioned, Minnesota is rumored to play at Xcel Energy Center.

I think arenas could vary, it sounds like...

Montreal and Toronto arenas are unknown.

I'm going to guess that Minnesota will play a game(s) at Amsoil Arena in Duluth.

Right now the Minnesota PWHL team has Minnesota Gophers players and Minnesota-born players. Watch to see who is added next -- including from UMD.

How is the PWHL Financed?

Thank you billionaire Mark Walter for financing the PWHL including losses in the first years. He owns the LA Dodgers. No way this happens without his backing, AKA money.

1694061869422.png

Good article at this link with details such as that:

Broadcast Details:
I couldn't find anything about that.

This is a big story for many girls/women hockey players and fans of hockey.

Last edited:

Minnesota PWHL will have lots of Gopher greats on the team. That is great.

And I would bring in UMD players too. You definitely do not want to appear to be just a Twin Cities team and snub Northern Minnesota.

Duluth is a hockey town with lots of great fans and excellent hockey arena.

Curiously, fomer Gopher great Amanda Kessel didn't sign with any team as one of the 3 free agent signees. Rumored to be headed to New York, the New York team leaked two players and held open the third spot as unnamed for a couple days before today announcing Micah Zandee-Hart, who played for Cornell in NY and Team Canada, as the third player. Not sure what's going on with Kessell (see previous posts).

That changes the draft dynamics assuming she is going to play. Does she fall to New York at the #4 pick or even Minnesota at #13?

Last edited:

Among the best unsigned players who will now enter the PWHL draft are Canadian star Natalie Spooner and USA star Amanda Kessel. Kessel, 32, has four World Championship gold and an Olympic gold to her name as well as all-star honors from both tournaments, a Patty Kazmaier Award and three NCAA national titles. Teams may have hesitated on Kessel initially due to her new job with the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins and decision to step back from Team USA this year. Spooner, 32, similarly is well decorated internationally with two Olympic gold and two World Championship gold along with seven additional medals at those events, and was twice a World Championship all-star....

----------------------------------

I will add that Kessel also had a period of serious concussions. I don't think that would at all affect free agency signing, but in the draft where these young players are coming out of college to be a franchise player for maybe the next decade.

And also maybe Kessel wanted too much money. She surely has a nice salary as an NHL executive at stake too. The fact that roster spot at NY held open for a couple days says something... maybe there was interest but the money relationship not happening.

Or maybe not. What do I know.

I'll go with what the article says but also toss in intrigue.

Last edited:

When we think of top women’s hockey players whose careers never reached their full potential because of a lack of post-collegial options we don’t automatically think of many active players.

We think of players like Manon Rhéaume, who played more men’s pro games than women’s. We think of players like Meghan Agosta, who played two professional seasons when she was the best player in the world, then she pursued another dream to become a police officer while still representing Canada.....

Top Bottom