WNIT 2024 Game 3: Gophers Visit Wyoming (4-1-24)

Gophers are riding seven players tonight. Battle and Grocholski are at 32 minutes each, Heyer at 29. Probably getting tired.

Wyoming has played 10 players.

Gophers are riding seven players tonight. Battle and Grocholski are at 32 minutes each, Heyer at 29. Probably getting tired.

Wyoming has played 10 players.
Wyoming looks more tired than the Gophers.

Battle clutch at the end, but would be nice to see her dish more frequently.

And, on the post game show on the radio, Amaya said they flew commercial to tonight's game. And, Dawn said they go to Denver tonight, and then fly to Atlanta tomorrow to head for Troy, AL for our next game - the FAB 4. Would guess that is a Wednesday game. Maybe the WNIT doesn't allow charters?

Wyoming looks more tired than the Gophers.

Battle clutch at the end, but would be nice to see her dish more frequently.
From my perspective, when GG and Heyer have trouble getting open, it's tough for a point guard to distribute. I saw a lot of cutting and moving from one side to the other and not being able to get open unless they were 25 feet out. Even when they did get the ball, they had a defender stuck on them most of the time and really couldn't do much. GG did not look comfortable when she did get about 4 somewhat open looks. The one time we did get a backdoor look, we fumbled it. The Wyoming post was enough of a deterrent to keep Sanders from driving very deep, so that took alot of her game away.

Maggie came up with some big defense, Battle was great defensively as well, in addition to carrying the offense. Kudo's to coach P for keeping Hart fresh enough to be a big factor in the 4th. I was afraid, with the altitude and short bench, the Gophers would be gassed in the 4th.

And, on the post game show on the radio, Amaya said they flew commercial to tonight's game. And, Dawn said they go to Denver tonight, and then fly to Atlanta tomorrow to head for Troy, AL for our next game - the FAB 4. Would guess that is a Wednesday game. Maybe the WNIT doesn't allow charters?
Plus a 3 hour bus ride from Atlanta to Troy. Yeowzers!

We definitely need better offensive flow and ball movement but I am impressed with how much Battle has improved her shot. She has played with so much confidence this past month. Go Gophers !

Battle needs to take over when it seems no one else can get open off the screens. It has definitely helped them tonight and be huge if she can continue to be more offense next year too when we hope all are healthy! Fun to see her gaining the confidence ending the year.

looked like Wyoming was LOCKED in on Grace and Heyer from behind the arc.. wish we would have ran a few more back door cuts or look for it.. but their post was in there..

I'd like to shoutout Maggie tonight.. made the game tying 3 when it looked like the game might be slipping away.. had THREE very big steals in the 2nd half.

Grace with only 3 points but they were SUPER GLUED to her tonight.. but GG did mange to grab a career high in rebounds with 11 tonight.

Nia ONCE again was a HUGE spark off the bench tonight.. 6/7 for her and was a +10 in only 20 minutes.

also Amaya is now tied for 8th all time in assists.. 99 behind Emily Fox for 7th all time.

looked like Wyoming was LOCKED in on Grace and Heyer from behind the arc.. wish we would have ran a few more back door cuts or look for it.. but their post was in there..

I'd like to shoutout Maggie tonight.. made the game tying 3 when it looked like the game might be slipping away.. had THREE very big steals in the 2nd half.

Grace with only 3 points but they were SUPER GLUED to her tonight.. but GG did mange to grab a career high in rebounds with 11 tonight.

Nia ONCE again was a HUGE spark off the bench tonight.. 6/7 for her and was a +10 in only 20 minutes.

also Amaya is now tied for 8th all time in assists.. 99 behind Emily Fox for 7th all time.
Agree with Maggie! Never once seem to complain about her role all year long. Team player that works hard when gets in there. Starting to develop some more offense too!

Battle really locked in during the fourth quarter, as someone mentioned in a prior post this slowed down pace was probably by design due to the short bench and condensed schedule. Maggie was great tonight and Hart really battled hard. Probably no time o practice free throws between now and Wednesday. I hope they make it to the championship game and win it!

For the second consecutive game, this time on the road, the Gophers women's basketball team won a game because Amaya Battle wouldn't let it lose.

With the offense struggling to score and the Gophers trailing by a point with seven minutes left, Battle took over.

The result was a 65-54 victory at Wyoming in a WNIT quarterfinal with leading scorer Mara Braun back on the sideline because of a foot injury. The Gophers (19-15) will play at Troy in a tournament semifinal game Wednesday night in Troy, Ala.

Battle scored 29 points. Of those, 14 came during the fourth quarter, including all nine of a 9-2 run over 2½ minutes that put the Gophers in control for good against the Cowgirls (18-15) in Laramie, Wyo.

"It was a matter of, 'We have to get it done,'" Battle said. "We had to do whatever it takes to get it done. And that kind of kicked it into gear."..

Top Bottom