WKOW: Connelly has "chip on his shoulder" against Minnesota

Connelly could've walked on here just like he walked on at Wisconsin. Both schools saw him plenty, and neither school gave him a scholarship. So save your "chip" for your own team, buddy. I hate it when players, college or pro, just make up bullsh*t in the press.

It also has to be weird playing for your home state's rival ... and I say this not just about Connelly but everyone in that sort of situation. I love going back to my home state, and can't imagine what it would feel like if 90% of the people I encountered there secretly (or not so secretly) hated me.

Funny, I don't seem to hear much about A-holes from Michigan or Ohio State. They are the real powers of the Big Ten, yet they can keep from being A-holes.

Taylor Lewan, Michigan - Top of the list recently. Won't take much internet sleuthing to turn up more from tOSU and meatchicken

Let's hope Fleck can leverage MN prep talent potential from here on.

Grab Montero from Eden Prairie right now for starters.

Connelly could've walked on here just like he walked on at Wisconsin. Both schools saw him plenty, and neither school gave him a scholarship. So save your "chip" for your own team, buddy. I hate it when players, college or pro, just make up bullsh*t in the press.

It also has to be weird playing for your home state's rival ... and I say this not just about Connelly but everyone in that sort of situation. I love going back to my home state, and can't imagine what it would feel like if 90% of the people I encountered there secretly (or not so secretly) hated me.

That's not how walking on works. There was an interesting article on Wisconsin's walk-on program this past week (I think in SI, but could be wrong). Kids don't get to just walk-on, it's not their choice. It's recruiting, but not for a scholarship, at least initially. Some are offered preferred walk-on status, which mean they'll get a scholarship in year 2 or 3, depending on the situation. I have no idea if we offered him a walk-on opportunity, and I'll take his word they we didn't, but Wisconsin did. He's only playing because of a ton of injuries in front of him anyway.

IALTO. Funny, successful programs always have a higher percentage of A-holes on them don't they?
I don't remember a badger punching anyone in the nuts. All teams have assholes. Winning teams seem to have more according to their rivals.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

That's not how walking on works. There was an interesting article on Wisconsin's walk-on program this past week (I think in SI, but could be wrong). Kids don't get to just walk-on, it's not their choice. It's recruiting, but not for a scholarship, at least initially. Some are offered preferred walk-on status, which mean they'll get a scholarship in year 2 or 3, depending on the situation. I have no idea if we offered him a walk-on opportunity, and I'll take his word they we didn't, but Wisconsin did. He's only playing because of a ton of injuries in front of him anyway.

Walk on recruiting is the same here, the same everywhere. I remember reading that he had a walk on opportunity here.

I don't remember a badger punching anyone in the nuts. All teams have assholes. Winning teams seem to have more according to their rivals.

You don't think that kind of stuff happens all the time? It just takes a badger to whine about it in the press.

So strange you're defending the Badgers.

I hate it when players, college or pro, just make up bullsh*t in the press..

It's a two-way street, mind you.

The press loves and thrives on stuff that riles people up. That's what gets people to read, click on the article, etc.

So the press will often coerce what they want in interviews with this players. Granted, some players do love to give it out without much prompting.

Montero is only going to be a Gopher as a walk-on. No way he gets a scholly out of hs.

Right.

If you don't have the height, length, vertical leap, 40 time ..... you know, the stuff that actually matters, then no way will coaches pay attention to you.

Stuff like having instincts, making plays, being able to catch a football, being able to throw a football, being able to tackle, consistently being in the right place at the right time .... all that crap, just doesn't matter.

That's today's recruiting game. Let me log onto some service that hands out stars that change on a whim based on offers. :rolleyes:

Right.

If you don't have the height, length, vertical leap, 40 time ..... you know, the stuff that actually matters, then no way will coaches pay attention to you.

Stuff like having instincts, making plays, being able to catch a football, being able to throw a football, being able to tackle, consistently being in the right place at the right time .... all that crap, just doesn't matter.

That's today's recruiting game.
But it's reality too. There are many great HS athletes that just wouldn't cut it athletically in D1 sports. That said I would take these guys as walk ons. I'm a big fan of Cashmans so you never know how it will work out. There are plenty of walk ons that never see the field though.

I wasn't implying the Gopher should take a bunch of kids from 1A or 2A high schools, linebackers who are 5-10 200lbs, simply because they've started for four years and made 500 tackles.

No, of course not.

But you brought up exactly my point: Cashman should have been the starter this year. But he isn't because of crap that doesn't matter.

OK, I've said my piece. You guys get the gist of my opinions. I'm not going to get into a flame war on an internet discussion board. Agree to disagree.

I wasn't implying the Gopher should take a bunch of kids from 1A or 2A high schools, linebackers who are 5-10 200lbs, simply because they've started for four years and made 500 tackles.

No, of course not.

But you brought up exactly my point: Cashman should have been the starter this year. But he isn't because of crap that doesn't matter.

OK, I've said my piece. You guys get the gist of my opinions. I'm not going to get into a flame war on an internet discussion board. Agree to disagree.

I don't really think we disagree that much on this. My main point is to not throw scholarships at the marginal guys but go ahead and offer as walk ons.

Let's hope Fleck can leverage MN prep talent potential from here on.

Grab Montero from Eden Prairie right now for starters.

Does Montero have even FCS offers?
He is a beast, curious as to why he isn’t getting many. 247 says he has an Air Force offer which I tend to not believe.

He is a guy along the lines of zenner, Vraa....he may not have measurable but he is better at football then a lot of guys going to the big ten. Including being better than a guy on his own team who has a gopher offer.

At this point I would offer Montero. He is much more impressive on tape than Josh Aune who was given a scholarship. I could see Montero being an absolutley devestating safety that would make crushing hits and has the instincts and skills to drop out of coverage and rush the qb. I could see him becoming the type of player that Jim Leonhard was for Wisconsin.

If it takes an offer to get Montero here, I think it is worth it.

Right.

That's today's recruiting game. Let me log onto some service that hands out stars that change on a whim based on offers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's not how stars are assigned.

Nick Connelly B1G player of the week, beating up the home town team that didn't recruit him.
Utterly disgusting. This year was a big letdown but Kill /Claeys not going after this kid is atrocious....

If there's an EP kid (montero) who looks like he can play...

OFFER!!!

Nick Connelly B1G player of the week, beating up the home town team that didn't recruit him.
Utterly disgusting. This year was a big letdown but Kill /Claeys not going after this kid is atrocious....

If there's an EP kid (montero) who looks like he can play...

OFFER!!!

I'm not sure I like the idea that we always offer the bets EP LB. That's the kind of recruiting that ended Doug Woog's career.

There is no doubt that most teams have a "dirty" player or two, but I think it is difficult to argue that the Badgers have a culture of dirty players. After reading the link you posted, I wonder if you even read it thoroughly. It is a very weak argument that Wisconsin's Borland was universally perceived as a dirty player when, out of 28 players interviewed, only two players named him, and one who named him said, "the Badgers' linebacker is more annoying than dirty."

If I remember correctly, Borland's teammates considered him one of the more cerebral guys on the team.

Top Bottom