With MSU now on pause, Gophers & Northwestern last ones standing

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The Gophers and Northwestern are the only Big Ten teams yet to have a conference game postponed due to The Corona. During this crazy season, I think the more games you play the better. IMO, the Selection Committee isn't likely to punish a team with 4-5 quality wins along with having played a mostly complete schedule.

Knock on wood.

Kudos to the players, coaches, and everyone else in the program as that doesn’t happen without their commitment. I am sure the COVID procedures are painful to follow 100% of the time, but the evidence says they are doing a good job of it thus far. Or they have been really lucky. Either way, keep it up!

Kudos to the players, coaches, and everyone else in the program as that doesn’t happen without their commitment. I am sure the COVID procedures are painful to follow 100% of the time, but the evidence says they are doing a good job of it thus far. Or they have been really lucky. Either way, keep it up!
Lkely good and lucky and the huge advantage you gain is way more practices. I was talking to some UVA folks today and the womans team has opted out of the rest of the season. Yikes ! Their mens team has lost 30 practices !

The Gophers were on pause before the season started, perhaps a blessing in disguise that got the team to follow protocols to the best of their ability. Could also just be luck of the draw or they learned from the football team on what not to do.

Who knows. I am sure Mich St was taking it seriously based on Izzo's personal experience but it still happened.

Lkely good and lucky and the huge advantage you gain is way more practices. I was talking to some UVA folks today and the womans team has opted out of the rest of the season. Yikes ! Their mens team has lost 30 practices !
Great point. The practice is huge. Gophers will fall onto this list next week as I'm doubting that Nebraska game happens.

Great point. The practice is huge. Gophers will fall onto this list next week as I'm doubting that Nebraska game happens.

But the gophers can still practice if that game is cancelled. Which is nice.

Northwestern football had 0 cases. Basketball case-free so far. What are they doing that others aren't?

It’s a lot of luck....both good and bad luck

Teams that follow protocols perfectly can end up getting a couple of people sick. Other teams do a mediocre job and don’t get cases.

Find me one football program that shut down due to “one staff member” having it
Do not know about football but in basketball several have. They follow a strict policy deeper than their conference policy. One assistant coach shut down because with contact tracing monitoring ankle bracelet they were in contact with the whole team.

Didn't we have a preseason practice pause due to covid? I have a feeling most players had it at that point and have the 90-120 day immunity. Sneaky good strategy...

Do you think any of the "postponed" games will ever be made up? I was just looking at the schedule, and if ESPN is correct, there are only 3 games scheduled next week between Monday and Friday. That means 8 teams have mid-week byes.

Do you think any of the "postponed" games will ever be made up? I was just looking at the schedule, and if ESPN is correct, there are only 3 games scheduled next week between Monday and Friday. That means 8 teams have mid-week byes.
I believe the conference has stated initially at first that they intend to make up all games.

Somewhere K is smiling.

The Gophers and Northwestern are the only Big Ten teams yet to have a conference game postponed due to The Corona. During this crazy season, I think the more games you play the better. IMO, the Selection Committee isn't likely to punish a team with 4-5 quality wins along with having played a mostly complete schedule.

Knock on wood.
People from Mexico say ‘touch wood’.

Top Bottom