Wisky, Iowa both "screwed"

drunkenMNgopher

Section 135
Reaction score
As I've read other places, fans of both teams have been b*tching about different ways they got screwed.

Wisconsin - in a division with Ohio State and Penn State.
Iowa - protected rivalry is with Purdue.

Their crying makes me happy. Boiler up every year against the Hawks.

I don't think that playing a weaker team like Purdue is getting screwed. Some might think Minnesota would be better off playing Indiana every year vs. Wisconsin.

I don't think that playing a weaker team like Purdue is getting screwed. Some might think Minnesota would be better off playing Indiana every year vs. Wisconsin.

Except Iowa fans aren't Gopherhurrin clones and would actually like to play a good crossover game that has some significance or rivalry implications.

As I've read other places, fans of both teams have been b*tching about different ways they got screwed.

Wisconsin - in a division with Ohio State and Penn State.

Their crying makes me happy. Boiler up every year against the Hawks.

I think Wisconsin fans are upset with the fact that they lose the annual rivalry game with Iowa and do not get to face Nebraska regularly either. Iowa and Purdue is not a "rivalry" in that traditional sense but I have always been of the opinion that Minnesota-Wisconsin should be protected over Iowa-Wisconsin. They way I look at it, Iowa gets to form a new conference rivalry against Nebraska on an annual basis. There are positives and negatives for every situation, especially with regard to divisional alignment. Here's to still battling for Floyd of Rosedale every year!

I like our rivalry situation:

Floyd: check
Axe: check
Jug: check, and now annual again

I could give a Sh*t about the victory bell, but we'll have occasional chances to win it anyway.

im just happy wisky was bent over...this is the best gift ever!

Purdue Illinois and Indiana in the same division is a joke. They may as well left it East/West. This is certainly no more balanced... Also, we're the lowest ranked in our division? Weak. We're not that bad -- we go to bowls at least. BigTen f*cked up...

im just happy wisky was bent over...this is the best gift ever!

I know! THe tease here is that what have realistically been the worst 3 teams in the last 7-8 years (Indiana, Purdue, Illinois) are all in Wisconsin's division. So they will have an easier schedule than us overall every year.

BUT--the ceiling for Bucky is nearly immovable. No way the skunks get past Ohio State and Penn State in the same year...probably ever. Ohio State owns this conference. And while the Buckeyes will be slapping Wisconsin silly yearly, we don't even have to beat OSU to get to the title game. There's a very good chance the prize for finishing runner up to Ohio State in the conference title game...will be a trip to the Rose Bowl. And really, at the end of the day, all I care about is seeing the Gophers in the Rose Bowl.

The Victory Bell. If we beat Penn State, that's always great, but the trophy adds little. Maybe because there's nothing Minnesota about it. The jug, it's a Minnesota-made jug, bought in Minnesota, paid for by Michigan. The pig, it's a statue of an Iowa pig, named for a Minnesota governor. The Axe, Paul Bunyan's an inherent part of Minnesota and Wisconsin culture (Paul Bunyan only visited Wisconsin to go to the Dells)

The bell, it's generic. It uses the Liberty Bell, which is an American symbol, but strongly associated with Pennsylvania. There's nothing Minnesota about it.

Personally I think this gives Wisconsin a very nice chance for a January Bowl most years. Not sure why they're whining. That's a pretty nice gift to be handed. I realize Iowa has a stronger chance to get to the championship game, but they also get a tougher road with more ops for losses. Michigan will probably be good again, Mich state has been recruiting very well and are really close to being tough, I think we're on the rise, NorthWestern is playing well and now they are also recruiting well, and Nebraska has always been tough.

Wisonsinites ought to be dancing in the streets, well unless they can find some fresh roadkill to occupy their minds.

No way the skunks get past Ohio State and Penn State in the same year...probably ever. .

Those are the years where they beat both teams. But I get what you are saying.

BTW- these are also the years where they did not lose to either team (ties and or off schedule):

I think Wisconsin fans are upset with the fact that they lose the annual rivalry game with Iowa and do not get to face Nebraska regularly either. Iowa and Purdue is not a "rivalry" in that traditional sense but I have always been of the opinion that Minnesota-Wisconsin should be protected over Iowa-Wisconsin. They way I look at it, Iowa gets to form a new conference rivalry against Nebraska on an annual basis. There are positives and negatives for every situation, especially with regard to divisional alignment. Here's to still battling for Floyd of Rosedale every year!

Yes that is why. No Minny and Iowa or Nebraska each year, which was the hope...

Get Minny each year and maybe every 5-7 years get all three...

Its easy for me. Out of the four "traditional" powers (OSU, PSU, Michigan, and Neb) which of the two would you want in your division? For various reasons I think you want Michigan and Nebraska. OSU has and almost most certainly will always be the number one team in the conference. PSU has a great recruiting area and has shown in the recent past that they will be a national power in most years. In contrast, Michigan is currently down (although will likely rebound at some point). While Nebraska will find it difficult to remain a power playing a much more difficult schedule and easily having the worst recruiting area of almost any team in the conference. Combine this with the fact that we have never been able to beat OSU and our two logical rivalries are with Mich and Neb, I think we did about as well as can be expected.

These teams were left-over after all the other protected rivalries were lined up.
Guess you call the game the Tupperware Bowl.

I am excited about playing the last game against Nebraska. I think it's great for Iowa.

AhliBobwa wrote:

"There's a very good chance the prize for finishing runner up to Ohio State in the conference title game...will be a trip to the Rose Bowl."

There's no chance. Assuming what you meant by this scenario is that tOSU would be in the National Championship game, then the Rose Bowl would be free of its Big Ten-Pac 10 contract (which requires it to pick only the champions of those leagues if they're not in the title game) and would be free to feature the best of the rest from any league. That would not be a second-place conference finisher unless it were ranked among the top six or eight teams in the country.

"There's a very good chance the prize for finishing runner up to Ohio State in the conference title game...will be a trip to the Rose Bowl."

There's no chance.

2007: Illinois
2006: Michigan

There, I gave you 2 examples from the past 5 years. How does that equate to "no chance"?

Wisconsin fans are upset because now they can't have scheduling gifts like their two rose bowl years ('99 didn't play Penn St, '94 didn't play Penn St. or Iowa).

The jug, it's a Minnesota-made jug, bought in Minnesota, paid for by Michigan.

You sure about that? Since the lore is that Michigan brought it with them from Ann Arbor, I just always assumed it was bought and made in Michigan.

You sure about that? Since the lore is that Michigan brought it with them from Ann Arbor, I just always assumed it was bought and made in Michigan.

Nope, they bought it at a drug store in minneapolis because they didn't trust the Gophs to provide clean water.

Nope, they bought it at a drug store in minneapolis because they didn't trust the Gophs to provide clean water.

Thanks for the info. I guess I just didn't read it close enough when I've come across it before. I knew about the worries over contaminated water, but I always read it as they brought the jug with water from Ann Arbor. So I wonder where they then got the water if they were worried about foul play?

That I don't know. I believe the original price was .30, though. Last year I bought a 1 gallon one at an antique store for my replica for $30.

There's no chance. Assuming what you meant by this scenario is that tOSU would be in the National Championship game, then the Rose Bowl would be free of its Big Ten-Pac 10 contract (which requires it to pick only the champions of those leagues if they're not in the title game) and would be free to feature the best of the rest from any league. That would not be a second-place conference finisher unless it were ranked among the top six or eight teams in the country.

Uh huh...you do realize that the Rose Bowl loves a Big Ten/Pac 10 matchup right? And that it took an insane level of arm twisting to ever get them to agree to make it possible for them to pick teams from other conferences? And that they'll forgo "better" matchups in order to get a Big Ten team in the game (e.g. Illinois in 2007)?

But yes, I'm sure splitting into divisions changed all that. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom