wisconsin's complete meltdown on last series!

That was fantastic. Tough to understand how a major D1 football team could be so confused. Posted this elsewhere, but they were out of timeouts and seemed unable to to get organized, so I was pretty surprised we used a timeout to give then a chance to get on the same page.

Not gonna lie, I was nervous when Mertz had to come out.

Sure, the other guy hadn't thrown a pass all year, but Mertz is our secret edge against wisconsin. I felt great as long as he was in there.

I was getting some backup-QB-off-the-bench-on-Senior-Day miracle vibes for a few plays until they broke down at the 5.

the part that was weird is we were getting no pass rush and rushing only 3 guys. Why were they continually jumping when we were applying no pressure.

By the way, had they scored down there and we lost in overtime, this board would be in meltdown mode over rushing 3 guys.

Sure, the other guy hadn't thrown a pass all year, but Mertz is our secret edge against wisconsin. I felt great as long as he was in there.

I was getting some backup-QB-off-the-bench-on-Senior-Day miracle vibes for a few plays until they broke down at the 5.
I had the same thoughts

Didn’t that same QB beat us off the bench in 2020?

I HONESTLY feel that Mertz could have come back in after one play, but couldn't handle the pressure and kept himself out.

I HONESTLY feel that Mertz could have come back in after one play, but couldn't handle the pressure and kept himself out.
I said this as well. Chose to not be the hero or goat. Awful trait for an athlete.

I don't think he's that much worse than Mertz but tough to come off the bench in that situation.
I literally think we had the lead in 2020, he came of the bench, tied it then beat us in overtime

I could be misremembering

Edit: I misremembered
He did come in, led them to a field goal. We tied it. They beat us in Ot.

He was 4/5 with a TD and INt in 2020

I literally think we had the lead in 2020, he came of the bench, tied it then beat us in overtime

I could be misremembering
That sounds right.

Mo, in that game, walked around right end for the 7 point lead from the one yard line. A phantom hold was called. We go from first down on the one and a touchdown, to being pushed backed to the 11. Morgan is picked in the end zone on the next play. That game still irks me. PJ should have 4 wins over the skunks.

That sequence was almost as much fun as the win. Complete meltdown. The WI fans were losing their minds. Loved it!

How about when 2 officials stopped by to explain something to the new badger qb. That was way out of line and I don’t care if it was ‘good luck’.

My wife was yelling at the TV about the Gophers timeout while Wisconsin was in total disarray. She was right, glad that didnt come back to haunt us.

the part that was weird is we were getting no pass rush and rushing only 3 guys. Why were they continually jumping when we were applying no pressure.

By the way, had they scored down there and we lost in overtime, this board would be in meltdown mode over rushing 3 guys.
My guess was that something about the backup QB's cadence was throwing them off.

1st and 10 at MIN20Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short middle to Bell,Skyler, 1ST DOWN, PENALTY MINN Pass Interference (Walley,Justin) 15 yards from MINN20 to MINN05, 1ST DOWN. NO PLAY.
1st and 5 at MIN5Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short middle PENALTY WISC Holding (Mahlman,Riley) 10 yards from MINN05 to MINN15. NO PLAY.
1st and 15 at MIN15PENALTY WISC False Start (Bortolini,Tanor) 5 yards from MINN15 to MINN20. NO PLAY.
1st and 20 at MIN20Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short left to Dike,Chimere.
2nd and 20 at MIN20PENALTY WISC False Start (Beach,Tyler) 5 yards from MINN20 to MINN25. NO PLAY.
2nd and 25 at MIN25PENALTY WISC False Start (Mahlman,Riley) 5 yards from MINN25 to MINN30. NO PLAY.
2nd and 30 at MIN30Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short middle to Lewis,Keontez.
3rd and 30 at MIN30Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass complete short left to Bell,Skyler for 5 yards to the MINN25, out of bounds at MINN25.
4th and 25 at MIN25Timeout Minnesota, clock 00:05.
4th and 25 at MIN25Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short right to Lewis,Keontez.
Wisconsin drive start at 00:00.
1st and 10 at MIN25End of game, clock 00:00.
Just an insane sequence. To go from first and goal at the 5 to 2nd and 30 from the 30 in the space of a few short plays was unbelievable to watch unfold. Mahlman was responsible for 15 of those yards.

1st and 10 at MIN20Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short middle to Bell,Skyler, 1ST DOWN, PENALTY MINN Pass Interference (Walley,Justin) 15 yards from MINN20 to MINN05, 1ST DOWN. NO PLAY.
1st and 5 at MIN5Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short middle PENALTY WISC Holding (Mahlman,Riley) 10 yards from MINN05 to MINN15. NO PLAY.
1st and 15 at MIN15PENALTY WISC False Start (Bortolini,Tanor) 5 yards from MINN15 to MINN20. NO PLAY.
1st and 20 at MIN20Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short left to Dike,Chimere.
2nd and 20 at MIN20PENALTY WISC False Start (Beach,Tyler) 5 yards from MINN20 to MINN25. NO PLAY.
2nd and 25 at MIN25PENALTY WISC False Start (Mahlman,Riley) 5 yards from MINN25 to MINN30. NO PLAY.
2nd and 30 at MIN30Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short middle to Lewis,Keontez.
3rd and 30 at MIN30Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass complete short left to Bell,Skyler for 5 yards to the MINN25, out of bounds at MINN25.
4th and 25 at MIN25Shotgun Wolf,Chase pass incomplete short right to Lewis,Keontez.
Just an insane sequence. To go from first and goal at the 5 to 2nd and 30 from the 30 in the space of a few short plays was unbelievable to watch unfold. Mahlman was responsible for 15 of those yards.
My favorite play was with 2 plays left from the 30 they used 1 to gain 5 yards

Like is a last second play from the 25 different at all from a play from the 30?
If it isn’t (it isn’t) you just cut your chances in half by running a 5 yard out.

My favorite play was with 2 plays left from the 30 they used 1 to gain 5 yards

Like is a last second play from the 25 different at all from a play from the 30?
If it isn’t (it isn’t) you just cut your chances in half by running a 5 yard out.
Yeah, I did not understand the short sideline pass at all. Taking two shots into the endzone there would have made way more sense then throwing a short sideline route with no real option to get more than a few yards closer.

Yeah, I did not understand the short sideline pass at all. Taking two shots into the endzone there would have made way more sense then throwing a short sideline route with no real option to get more than a few yards closer.
Or at least go 15 yards so you can run a regular play from the 15

There is a difference between 15 and 30

There is no difference between 25 and 30

This is our equivalent of that blocked punt game. I will forever cherish the 4 consecutive false starts with 3 rushers in front of their home turf with no crowd noise lol.

T'was glorious to watch....and it is even more glorious to see the full on panic with coaching changes for the second time this season. Plus they likely burned a bridge with one of their local heroes. They are terrified!

back up QB was inclined to doze off a lot during practice

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason why defensive pass interference on the Minnesota 20 yard line gave Wisconsin 15 yards instead of half the distance to the goal?

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason why defensive pass interference on the Minnesota 20 yard line gave Wisconsin 15 yards instead of half the distance to the goal?
I think it's similar to in the NFL, pass interference is a "to the point of the infraction" penalty, and that overrides the "half the distance" rule. College has the 15 yard cap that the nfl doesn't, but they both are not capped by "half the distance." So in the NFL, would have gone to the 1, in college, you get the full 15 even if that is more than halfway.

I think it's similar to in the NFL, pass interference is a "to the point of the infraction" penalty, and that overrides the "half the distance" rule. College has the 15 yard cap that the nfl doesn't, but they both are not capped by "half the distance." So in the NFL, would have gone to the 1, in college, you get the full 15 even if that is more than halfway.
College.
Spot of the foul. Automatic first down.
Ball can’t be placed inside the 2
penalty can’t be more than 15

Yup I totally agree.

Several passes to the end zone were thrown away.

When they did throw a catchable pass, they got pass interference. But not many shots to the end zone had any chance.

It felt like they were trying to avoid an interception more than score a touchdown….

Very strange choices.

Big props to Walley for taking that’s PI penalty.

That was absolutely the right call. WR was open and had position. Prevent the TD at all costs! Take the penalty and live to keeep playing. He saved the game with a smart penalty.

Top Bottom