Wisconsin is pausing all football-related activities. Saturday’s game at Nebraska will not be played

Not necessarily true. The rules only says the earliest they can resume game competition is 21 days,not that they cannot participate in practices or other team activities. We saw this last week, 2 players who were out due to the 21 day limit were suited up, warmed up, and were on the sidelines. If a player has had multiple confirmed negatives, there is nothing preventing them from resuming participation in practice.
Thank you for this correction, I was plain wrong in my previous post.

For what it's worth, UW is in the orange/red. It was their choice to not play, in consultation with the school president. Reading the B1G language regarding orange/red, you can interpret that the way you want to, but I read it as "erring on the side of caution is advised". If the game had been scheduled for Madison, maybe - maybe - they might've chosen to play because it's easier to take the regular precautions if you're not having to travel.
Thanks for this. That makes it pretty clear.

They'll reassess in 7 days, as the rule states, and if they fall back down to orange/orange or green/orange, then perhaps they will play the Purdue game.

If we lose too many players to the COVID rules, can the teams decide to play the game under 7-man rules? Maybe we could recruit some of the marching band to be part of the 7-man team. Or, just have PJ and the other team's coach do an end-of-quarter sprint down the field to pick up the trophy for the game. Whoever gets their first, wins.

If we lose too many players to the COVID rules, can the teams decide to play the game under 7-man rules? Maybe we could recruit some of the marching band to be part of the 7-man team. Or, just have PJ and the other team's coach do an end-of-quarter sprint down the field to pick up the trophy for the game. Whoever gets their first, wins.
Why band?

Why band?
Cheerleading team would also be great. Anyone that can get into the stadium that's a student that hasn't been exposed to COVID. I'm thinking a lot of these games could be pretty interesting as entire positions (e.g., kickers and punters) have to be held out because of COVID. What happens if for example your entire OL is exposed to someone with COVID? It'd make for an interesting offense...

There was no rational reason to think he BIG would be immune to the pandemic.
At the time the BIG decided to play the midwest was relatively safe.
Now it is not, particularly WI.
But for a chuckle read the NE blogs.
It is unanimous that the WI players became infected on purpose because they knew they were going to lose.
The NE fans hate the BIG.
And masks are a plot to make us compliant sheep.
Thanks for lurking there. If I had to, I'm afraid it would cause me to throw-up in my mouth a little bit. 🤮

The seven-day pause puts the home game against Purdue on Nov. 7 in jeopardy of being canceled as well.

Chryst said he wasn’t sure of when the clock started on the team’s activities shutdown. But the Badgers practiced on Tuesday, so the earliest they could be back on the practice field would be Wednesday, Nov. 4. That would give the team three days of in-person activities to prepare for the Purdue game.

Chryst also couldn’t confirm when he and other infected coaches’ 10 days away from the team began. If Wednesday was the first day of their isolation, they could be with the team in person again Nov. 7, the day the Purdue game is scheduled to be played..

UW’s football program hadn’t released data from its COVID-19 testing before Wednesday’s announcement. Public Health Madison and Dane County told the State Journal on Tuesday that 60 COVID-19 cases are identified as being associated with UW football between early June and Monday..

WI just had to cancel 1 game --> they now have only 1 more game on the schedule that can be canceled in order for them to qualify for a chance at the West title. Let's say they cancel against Purdue. Do you think MN or IA will have a team outbreak with 3rd and 4th stringers in order to cancel WI's chance of winning the West by canceling the game with them?

It could be that they might've technically been able to play this week, but they did not want to risk getting more guys sick.

You take two weeks off, isolate, then you come back for that 3rd game with hopefully the virus having had its 14 days to die off.
Depends on multiple things. If things go fine from the date of the last confirmed positive in this group, I think the 7-day rolling average % would come into the range where they could practice and play.

WI just had to cancel 1 game --> they now have only 1 more game on the schedule that can be canceled in order for them to qualify for a chance at the West title. Let's say they cancel against Purdue. Do you think MN or IA will have a team outbreak with 3rd and 4th stringers in order to cancel WI's chance of winning the West by canceling the game with them?
I'm sure there'd be backlash but I wouldn't blame either team for opting out of the game against Wisconsin if given the choice. The rules are extremely unfair if they put the head to head game above record. If either of those games gets cancelled when in the orange zones it will be pretty clear why but if they say it's about safety it would be harder to criticize.

Intentionally having players get sick sounds like a good way for a lot of people to get fired and sued. That would be one of the biggest scandals in NCAA history.

Maybe Minnesota should have forfeited against MI right away to keep from getting a loss. 6-1 looks better than 6-2, yea?

Does this count as a loss for Wisconsin?
No, nor is it a win for Nebraska. It's no contest. Wonder what that will do to the final West standings of Wisconsin is a game short. Also, how many of their players will still be out next week?

Cheerleading team would also be great. Anyone that can get into the stadium that's a student that hasn't been exposed to COVID. I'm thinking a lot of these games could be pretty interesting as entire positions (e.g., kickers and punters) have to be held out because of COVID. What happens if for example your entire OL is exposed to someone with COVID? It'd make for an interesting offense...
We aren’t Iowa so I don’t think cheerleaders could substitute for OL.

This could change everything

Here we go again. I could have sworn I saw an article the other day stating that there are more heart issues. I know we don't know what the long term results will be. That is why pre-existing conditions is an issue when it comes to health insurance coverage. Don't want to turn this into a nasty covid thread. Just saying so much we don't know yet.

This is one of the unfortunate things about the B1G waiting to start the season. Had they started when the Big12 or SEC started, there would have been built in time to reschedule. I understand why we took the cautious approach, but it may have been better in the long run to have some built in off weeks.

This is one of the unfortunate things about the B1G waiting to start the season. Had they started when the Big12 or SEC started, there would have been built in time to reschedule. I understand why we took the cautious approach, but it may have been better in the long run to have some built in off weeks.
It makes sense to us on the outside. There must've been good reasons why they waited until Oct 24, instead of starting two weeks earlier. Coaches must've demanded it, etc.?

B1G embarrassing themselves even further. By not leaving themselves hardly any outs and by implementing outrageously excessively guidelines (21 days??), anyone still think that some with the conference didn't want football to fail this fall?

B1G and Warren have been an epic embarrassment and failure since late summer. Just plain ridiculous.

anyone still think that some with the conference didn't want football to fail this fall?

No one thinks that, except RW nutjobs like you. Please dismiss yourself from the conversation, at any time.

Top Bottom