Wisconsin game at 11:00 am

cduff

Reaction score
On either ESPN or ESPN 2.

Penn State @ Illinois gets the 2:30 ABC timeslot.

Weak. Totally weak.

Oh well...guess I have to go to bed @ 8 pm on Friday. How early do the tailgating lots open for 11 am kickoffs?

11:00 games = Victory Walk fail.

For these early games people are going to have to start wrapping up their tailgating at 8:30 if they're going to go the Victory Walk. Not going to happen. Afternoon games are much better suited for it.

11:00 games = Victory Walk fail.

For these early games people are going to have to start wrapping up their tailgating at 8:30 if they're going to go the Victory Walk. Not going to happen. Afternoon games are much better suited for it.

Victory Walk this past week was fine and it was an 11am kickoff.

I agree that afternoon and evening make it even better, but 11am this past week still had a nice Victory Walk crowd.

I hate 11AM games. The absolute worst. Do we just get stuck with so many because we're not as big of a TV draw as the rest of the Big Ten????

I hate 11AM games. The absolute worst. Do we just get stuck with so many because we're not as big of a TV draw as the rest of the Big Ten????
I think it has more to do with what a team did the year before. Teams that win more seem to play later more often. I'm sure the network personnel doing the scheduling aren't necessarily the most football knowledgeable.

If Penn State beats Iowa then the Penn State/Illinois game will be a better Regional TV draw
then Gophers/Badgers. The undefeated Lions will still be in the hunt for the BSC game. They still are the darlings of a lot of eastern TV sets and the Illini probably will bring a lot of Chicago viewers.

Now if the Gophers had hung-on to a couple of interceptions and upset Cal followed by beating Northwestern then maybe they'd be on at 2:30. If they do beat the Wildcats Saturday a nationally televised game on ESPN (rather the ESPN2) would be a nice consolation prize.

Penn State/Illinois will draw strong viewing interest from the Chicago market (#3), Philadelphia (#4) and Pittsburgh (#23) along with other markets like St. Louis (#21), which has a lot of Illinois fans as residents and Washington DC (#9), which I've always understood to have a big Penn State following. Add on top of this the national cache that Penn State carries.

As for Minnesota/Wisconsin, you get the Minneapolis/St. Paul market (#15) and Madison (#85), maybe Milwaukee (#35), too.

I don't doubt this had some influence on which game was chosen.

All I know is that I have changed my signature in honor of the next incarnation of the longest football rivalry in Division 1.

very disappointed, 2:30 games have such a bigger build-up and better atmosphere. But, Just means beer starts flowing with breakfast instead of lunch, I can live with that.

NO!!! Wisconsin vs. Minnesota is actually one of the biggest games of the week. But because of the Big Ten's current contracts there are very few non-11:00 AM slots available for Big Ten teams. 11:00 AM has basically become the default time-slot over the last 5-10 years.

Unfortunately, the teams on the Eastern time zone side of the Big Ten usually eat-up all the non-morning slots because their television following in the Northeast make them a better TV product (regardless of how good they are ... though it does help when PSU/ OSU is ranked in the Top 10).

IMO, the AD's from the Western side of the Big Ten (Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota in particular) need to make sure that this issue is adressed the next time contracts are opened for negotiation. 11 AM kick-offs should be very rare in the CTZ.

It is especially unfortunate that the BTN can only realy broadcast 2 games/ week.

"cuts into tailgate time".

Dude........it makes for more tailgating.

Looks like I'll be tailgating they rest of the day in beautiful weather after the gophers beat the badgers.

Dude........it makes for more tailgating.

How does shortening the amount of time for tailgating from 6 hours to 4 make for more tailgating? If the game was @ 2:30 the lots would open at 8:30. Now they'll open at 7am for the 11am game.

I wish the Big Ten television contract would allow for the BTN to show games in any time slot...

How does shortening the amount of time for tailgating from 6 hours to 4 make for more tailgating? If the game was @ 2:30 the lots would open at 8:30. Now they'll open at 7am for the 11am game.

Tailgating is an ALL day event!!! Who said tailgating stops at kickoff??? :D

Tailgating is an ALL day event!!! Who said tailgating stops at kickoff??? :D

It does for those of us who have to head over to the stadium. :) Kind of hard to tailgate and sit in my seat at the same time.

True it is hard to tailgate from the stadium...BUT after the game it is still called tailgating. I think you have to be out of the lots by midnight. 7am-midnight is longer than 8:30am-midnight. Either way lets drink our way to a victory over those bucky suckies. GO GOPHERS!

True it is hard to tailgate from the stadium...BUT after the game it is still called tailgating. I think you have to be out of the lots by midnight. 7am-midnight is longer than 8:30am-midnight. Either way lets drink our way to a victory over those bucky suckies. GO GOPHERS!

Not the way it works I'm afraid. From the U's tailgate rules:
Tailgating may begin 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 am. Tailgating must end 4 hours after game time or midnight, whichever comes first.

2:30 game or 11am game, you'd still have to be out of the lots 4 hours after game time...ie, basically right away. I don't think they're enforcing this too hard. There has also been some discussion about whether they meant post-game, but even if they do mean 4 hours after the game ends the point remains the same...you get less tailgating with an 11am game.

Not the way it works I'm afraid. From the U's tailgate rules:

2:30 game or 11am game, you'd still have to be out of the lots 4 hours after game time...ie, basically right away. I don't think they're enforcing this too hard. There has also been some discussion about whether they meant post-game, but even if they do mean 4 hours after the game ends the point remains the same...you get less tailgating with an 11am game.

I'm pretty sure its 4 hours after the end of the game. If its an 11 am game, tailgating then theoretically goes from 7-11 and then 2:30ish to 6:30. A total of 8 hours.

If it was a 2:30 kick, tailgating goes from 8:30-2:30 and then 6:00 to 10:00. A total of 10 hours.

2:30 kick= more tailgate time.

Tailgating may begin 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 am. Tailgating must end 4 hours after game time or midnight, whichever comes first.

My Grain Belt saturated brain must have purposly blocked out that part.

The 11:00 a.m. kickoff just means we get to rush across the field and take back our Axe four hours earlier.

Top Bottom