Wins by Minnesota Starting QBs in history

Some guy

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a list somewhere.
I’d be genuinely curious to see it.
I saw a post on the twitter about the most wins by starting quarterbacks in college football history and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a compiled list for just Minnesota somewhere

I'm sure you can find it somewhere. For total wins, I'm gonna guess Asad Abdul-Khaliq has the most

He could not have more than 18 wins. I know Colt McCOY HAD 45 FOR Texas. Someone on here can answer the Minnesota question.
Yeah I have no idea but duration of starting plays a huge role.

weber probably has like 15 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was close to Stephens

Khaliq probably had more than 20 and gave starts to Travis Cole in his 2nd year.

Yeah I have no idea but duration of starting plays a huge role.

weber probably has like 15 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was close to Stephens
The Gophers teams Weber played on won 17 games total- not sure if he started all those though.

Kellen Moore won 50 games for Boise. Crazy.
That is incredible. 50-3 ! I did not include him because he was not in a power 5 conference. Tommy Frazier went 45-4 in 3 and a half years for Nebraska .

I think you are right that Khaliq was over 20.
Leidner is probably above 20 also.
Gophers went 24-19 in 43 games Khaliq played in.
Gophers went 28-19 in 47 games Leidner played in.
I believe Leidner had 24 as a starter.
Sports-reference.com is good source- game logs , etc.
1959-1961, Gophers went 18-11 (2-7, 8-2, 8-2) Stephen’s’ stats were listed for 1960-1961 (16-4).

Gophers went 24-19 in 43 games Khaliq played in.
Gophers went 28-19 in 47 games Leidner played in.
I believe Leidner had 24 as a starter.
Sports-reference.com is good source- game logs , etc.
1959-1961, Gophers went 18-11 (2-7, 8-2, 8-2) Stephen’s’ stats were listed for 1960-1961 (16-4).
Hard to tell if they started the game in sports reference though.

Fairly certain a few of those victories came with Nelson as the starting QB. I remember in the beginning Nelson often started and Leidner filled in.

CAREER: Played in 47 career games (29-18 record) and started 41 (24-17 record as a starter) • rushed 446 times (15th all-time in school history) for 1,495 yards (third in school history for a quarterback) and 33 career touchdowns (most in school history for a quarterback, fourth for any player) • passed for 7,287 yards (third most in school history) and 36 touchdowns (fifth in school history) • ranks fifth all-time in school history in completion percentage (56.4), second in completions (580) and second in attempts (1,029) • only Minnesota quarterback ever to pass and rush for 30 career touchdowns • ranks second all-time in total offense with 8,882 yards.

And people were ready to crown Morgan as the GOAT. Sit back down Tanner!

CAREER: Played in 47 career games (29-18 record) and started 41 (24-17 record as a starter) • rushed 446 times (15th all-time in school history) for 1,495 yards (third in school history for a quarterback) and 33 career touchdowns (most in school history for a quarterback, fourth for any player) • passed for 7,287 yards (third most in school history) and 36 touchdowns (fifth in school history) • ranks fifth all-time in school history in completion percentage (56.4), second in completions (580) and second in attempts (1,029) • only Minnesota quarterback ever to pass and rush for 30 career touchdowns • ranks second all-time in total offense with 8,882 yards.

Leidner might as well be the face of the Kill/Claeys era:

Tough, strong, a little under-skilled. Sometimes underwhelming and other times over-performing. Like 2014 they lost to a mediocre Illinois team, then shellacked Iowa and went toe-to-toe with eventual National Champion OSU.

28-19 is not a great wining percentage.

Morgan went 11-2 last year and what 7-2 as a starter the year before? That's 18-4! Just win, Baby!

Seriously just bumping this so if someone who has an actual list sees it they post it.

would really like comparisons to quarterbacks pre Mason

Seriously just bumping this so if someone who has an actual list sees it they post it.

would really like comparisons to quarterbacks pre Mason
I think what we're finding out is those lists are hard to find, at least by Googling. I don't think football tracks QB starts like baseball does for pitchers.

I think what we're finding out is those lists are hard to find, at least by Googling. I don't think football tracks QB starts like baseball does for pitchers.
Yeah I’m hoping someone already tabulated it by hand and can post it.

would take some research

This actually popped up on my Instagram feed. Winningest Quarterbacks in College Football History:

Kellen Moore - 50
Colt McCoy - 45
Andy Dalton - 42
David Greene - 42
Payton Manning - 39
Baker Mayfield - 39

Tanner Morgan actually has a chance to join this list. Of course, A LOT would have to go right for this to happen. Actually, now that I think about it, it won't happen with this year's shortened schedule. Either way, he will be the winningest QB in Minn history

28-19 is not a great wining percentage.

Morgan went 11-2 last year and what 7-2 as a starter the year before? That's 18-4! Just win, Baby!
Morgan didn't start in all the wins his first year, I believe he started the last 5 regular season games in 2018 leaving him at 4-2 including the bowl game...so 15-4, still on pace to overtake leidner if the gophs average 6.5 wins the next two years and tanner sticks around...I'd say given last year tanner should have the most wins as a starter by the end of his career.

This actually popped up on my Instagram feed. Winningest Quarterbacks in College Football History:

Kellen Moore - 50
Colt McCoy - 45
Andy Dalton - 42
David Greene - 42
Payton Manning - 39
Baker Mayfield - 39

Tanner Morgan actually has a chance to join this list. Of course, A LOT would have to go right for this to happen. Actually, now that I think about it, it won't happen with this year's shortened schedule. Either way, he will be the winningest QB in Minn history
For Morgan to join this list he would need to average 12 wins per year. Which will be tough during a 10 game season

Kellen Moore - 50
Colt McCoy - 45
Andy Dalton - 42
David Greene - 42
Payton Manning - 39
Baker Mayfield - 39

Those guys WISH they were as good as Morgan!

So I went and looked at data for some notable and most post 2000 QBs. Not all the info is fully detailed but you can kinda guestimate.

• Sandy Stephens, 1959-1961, 18 wins over that time period
  • Tony Dungy, 1973-1976, 23 wins over that time period. Main playing time was 75 and 76, where the Gophers went 6-5 both years
  • Rickey Foggie, 1984-1987, 23 wins over that time period.
  • Cory Sauter, 1994-1997, 13 wins over that time period. Main playing time was 94-97. Gophers won three in 95, four in 96 and three in 97.
  • Asad Abdul Khaliq, 2000-2003, 28 wins over that time period. Split time in 2000.
  • Bryan Cupito, 2004-2006, 20 wins over that time period
  • Adam Weber, 2007-2010, 17 wins in games started
  • MarQueis Gray, 2011-2012, 6 wins in games started
  • Max Shortell, started and won only the Syracuse game I believe in 2012.
  • Phillip Nelson, 2012-2013 9 wins in games started
  • Mitch Leidner 2014-2016, 22 wins in games he started in
  • Conor Rhoda, 2016-2017, 4 wins in games started
  • Demry Croft, 2017, 2 wins in games started
  • Zack Annexstad, 2018-Current, won 3 games started
  • Tanner Morgan, 2018-Current, won 15 games started

Kellen Moore - 50
Colt McCoy - 45
Andy Dalton - 42
David Greene - 42
Payton Manning - 39
Baker Mayfield - 39

I had to look Greene up. Didn't remember that name at all.

Top Bottom