Winning at Illinois

Section201

Reaction score

I think I made a small error. The cheating years were not included in that link thus I do not know if the gophers won @ Illinois during that time period. I apologize.

P Hawk

I think I made a small error. The cheating years were not included in that link thus I do not know if the gophers won @ Illinois during that time period. I apologize.

Oops. On second look I see that now. Still, my memory is faulty. Perhaps someone else can recall those "missing games".

Oops. On second look I see that now. Still, my memory is faulty. Perhaps someone else can recall those "missing games".

Are those records accessible anywhere? If they were expunged, do any sources still have the games documented? There may be some archives somewhere but I am unaware of them. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

March 3, 1996

I found this link, with your help.

http://ericthrall.com/gophers/basketball/1995-1996/

We won at Illinois the year Bobby Jackson was a Junior but the game and season were erased.

03/09/1996 @ Illinois W 67-66

I believe Section 201 is right about 1996; oddly enough, I seem to recall it was also highly successful UI Coach Lou Henson's final game at Illinois.

I believe Section 201 is right about 1996; oddly enough, I seem to recall it was also highly successful UI Coach Lou Henson's final game at Illinois.

For another added bit of trivia, the Gophers also sent Gene Keady to a loss in his last home game for the Boilers.

The '96 Illinois game was memorable not just because it was such a rare win, but because I think most of us thought it guaranteed us an NCAA bid getting us to 9-9 (10-8?) after a miserable start with Bobby injured. Then we got hosed and became the first .500 team in the Big Ten to be denied. It did provide some motivation for the non-existant but still memorable '97 season.

holy man

For another added bit of trivia, the Gophers also sent Gene Keady to a loss in his last home game for the Boilers.

The '96 Illinois game was memorable not just because it was such a rare win, but because I think most of us thought it guaranteed us an NCAA bid getting us to 9-9 (10-8?) after a miserable start with Bobby injured. Then we got hosed and became the first .500 team in the Big Ten to be denied. It did provide some motivation for the non-existant but still memorable '97 season.

It is coming back to me now.

I remember it as you say. We won at Illinois 67-66 in the last game of the season and it brought us to 10-8 which seemed worthy of a bid. But we got screwed by the committee and instead played in the NIT. It comes back to me now because I was on a work boondoggle, sitting in an airport bar drinking on the company while watching the second half!

:)

Illinois

Regarding the 1996 game, I was watching ESPN to get a score update when they broke in with extra BB coverage of the MN/Illinois game. They showed the last few minutes of the game. I thought that it would get them over the hump into the tournament. I remember listening to the radio on selection sunday after the picks and they were interviewing one of the Big Ten coaches who had made the tournament, I think it was Tom Davis, and they asked him about who got overlooked and he said MN. He made some comment that there were many teams in the tournament that didn't belong in the same gym as MN. I think Dickie V went on a rant as well since MN finished very well that year.

Here's the game story:

Star Tribune Newspaper of the Twin Cities Mar 10, 1996

GOPHERS 67, ILLINOIS 66

After all they have done - recover from a 3-6 Big Ten start to win seven of nine games, survive horrible shooting nights with sheer resilience and relentless defense, disregard history and Lou Henson's retirement party by winning at Illinois for the first time since 1978 - all the Gophers can do now is wait in front of the television late this afternoon.

The noise that burst from behind the closed doors of their locker room after Saturday's dramatic 67-66 victory at Assembly Hall suggests that their case before the NCAA tournament selection committee is good, very good. But at 18-12 overall and 10-8 in the Big Ten, is it good enough?

"We've won seven of nine, we've beaten ranked teams {Iowa and Penn State}, how many teams in the country have more momentum than we do?" junior reserve forward Mark Jones said. "It would be practically impossible to keep us out. It wouldn't be right. We've come together about as well as a team can come together. There aren't 64 teams better than us in the country, no way."

On Saturday, the final day of a regular season that began four months ago, the Gophers showed how far they have come. There was that opening night against Valparaiso in Hawaii, down 14 points before the game was 11 minutes old, when they persevered, as they had against Iowa on Wednesday and against Penn State the game before.

They have discovered a go-to guy (junior guard Bobby Jackson), role players (David Grim, Hosea Crittenden and Jones) and, only when they really, really needed it, Sam Jacobson's jump shot.

Jackson, who missed the first two months of the season because of a broken foot, followed his career-high 21-point, seven-rebound performance against Iowa with 24 points, including nine in the game's final 9 minutes when the Gophers rallied from a 55-45 deficit.

"He's an All-Big Ten performer, regardless of whether he gets any votes or not," Gophers coach Clem Haskins said. "This club reminds me of our '90 ballclub, when we jumped on Willie Burton's back and rode him to the final eight. We've jumped on Bobby's back down the stretch."

When Jackson wasn't slashing for important baskets or pulling up for jumpers in the game's final minutes Saturday, he was getting help from such players as Grim, Crittenden, Jacobson and Jones.

Grim scored 17 points off the bench. Crittenden played 16 minutes in relief of Eric Harris at point guard, and helped limit Illini point guard Kiwane Garris to six points in the second half after he had scored 11 in the first.

Jacobson shrugged off a lousy game on Wednesday and a lengthy shooting slump to hit the winning shot from the right wing with 14.5 seconds left. And Jones, a defensive substitution in the final 9 seconds, made like a beach volleyballer and spiked a loose ball toward midcourt to ensure the victory after Garris missed a potential winning shot with 5 seconds left.

The Gophers had lost their last 16 games at Assembly Hall, and hadn't won there since Kevin McHale wore a maroon uniform. Haskins, of course, had never won there in his 10 seasons. The Gophers arrived at the arena on Saturday to see the concrete place dressed in bunting and adorned with large-screen televisions for a postgame ceremony honoring Henson, who is retiring after 21 seasons at Champaign.

"People ask why we hadn't won here in what, it seems like, the last 30 or 40 years," said Haskins, who presented Henson with two worldwide airplane tickets, a gift from the University of Minnesota, after the game. "Lou Henson is why, he's one of the reasons you don't win on the road."

This time, the Gophers finished 4-5 in Big Ten road games, with victories at Ohio State, Northwestern, Michigan State and Illinois. That's the most since that 1990 team with Burton also went 4-5.

After finishes of 2-5, 2-4, 2-4, 1-6 and 2-9 in the past five seasons, the Gophers finished the season strong. Finally, they'll be able to make a point when the selection committee considers how teams ended the season.

"It'd be a crime if we didn't get in," Haskins said. "The way we're playing, we've got a chance to go a long ways. I tell our guys, `You don't measure success in the beginning, you measure it in the end.' The end is now."

Here's the game story:

Star Tribune Newspaper of the Twin Cities Mar 10, 1996

GOPHERS 67, ILLINOIS 66

... But at 18-12 overall and 10-8 in the Big Ten, is it good enough?
"

A good look back at history here.

We are just about due for another win in Champaign.

If anyone knows:

Who was the beat writer for the STRIB then?

How many Big Ten teams went to the dance that year?

rrjack

If anyone knows:

Not sure who the beat writer was.

Here are the 5 Big Ten teams that were selected for the 1996 NCAA. It was not a very good showing in the tourney. KY led by Pitino beat Cuse in the final 76-67

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Purdue (1 seed) Big Ten Champion (26-6 15-3) lost in round 2 to Georgia 76-69
Penn State (5 seed) tied for second in Big Ten (21-7 12-6) lost in round 1 to Arkansas 86-80
Indiana (6 seed) tied for second in Big Ten (19-12 12-6) lost in round 1 to BC 64-51
Iowa (6 seed) fourth in Big Ten (23-9 11-7) lost in round 2 to Arizona 87-73
Michigan (7 seed) tied for fifth with the Gophers at (20-12 10-8) lost in round 1 to Texas 80-76

http://ericthrall.com/gophers/basketball/1995-1996/

We were screwed!

:mad:

If anyone knows:

Jerry Zgoda was the beat writer then. Think he'd rather be doing Gophers than Twolves these days?

Top Bottom