Willis Set to Compete in Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (P.I.T.)

GopherLady

Reaction score
I know this was already announced, but here's the press release from the Gophers:

MINNEAPOLIS - Senior guard Payton Willis is set to compete in the 68th annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (P.I.T.), April 13-16 in Portsmouth, Va. Willis is one of 64 seniors to compete in the 12-game tournament and one of eight players on the designated Jani-King team.

Established in 1953, the P.I.T. historically invites 64 of the best college basketball players (seniors) from across the nation to participate in a four-day, 12-game tournament in front of representatives from every NBA team. Scouts from the NBA and numerous international leagues have joined in on the annual April pilgrimage to Portsmouth.

Willis had his best point-production season of his collegiate career en route to All-Big Ten honorable mention honors this past year. The senior from Fayetteville, Ark., averages 15.9 ppg, which ranked second on the team and 10th within the Big Ten. In fact, Willis ranked top 10 within the league in ppg, assists per game (4.3) and steals per game (1.4). He led the league in best three-point efficiency at 42.8 percent and 10th nationally. His 15.9 ppg bettered his 13.4 he averaged last year at College of Charleston and 8.9 his first time at Minnesota. The starting point guard led the team with 124 assists and averaged 4.27 per game, good enough for eighth in the league. The Academic All-Big Ten selection was also a two-time Big Ten Player of the Week after the Mississippi State and Rutgers wins.

Over the years the P.I.T. has been a showcase for five of the 50 greatest players in NBA History (Rick Barry, Earl 'The Pearl" Monroe, Dave Cowens, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen) and for many others who have gone on to NBA stardom including 2015 NBA All-Star Jimmy Butler.

The Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is partnering with PrepSpin for live streaming of this year's tournament. One day passes are available for $12. A tournament pass, good for all four days, is available for $40. You can obtain your passes here.

Great to see, hope Willis shows up big.

Go Gophers!!

Could carve out a solid career overseas... Won't sniff the NBA... Ever

I followed and watched Payton at the 3 x 3 Tournament in NOLA and he definitely held his own there, granted totally different game, but his 3 point shooting was excellent.

He should be able to make very good money playing basketball for the next decade. Didn't realize he was first in the BT in 3 point shooting and 10th nationally. We are really going to miss him next year. Dude is clutch.

Could carve out a solid career overseas... Won't sniff the NBA... Ever
I bet he ends up on a Summer Roster, from there who knows if Zach Lofton can crack an NBA line up, if Willis is willing to do the G-League thing, he could get a two way deal, but otherwise I tend to agree with you that guys like Willis have better earning opportunities overseas, but the G-League has stepped it up financially the last few years

Top Bottom