Will the U of M band march down University Avenue ever again?

AMEN! I'll keep bringing this marching band issue up until they (U of M brass) maybe think of something similar. Or march down University Avenue like the band used to before games. :clap::clap::clap::clap:
Because bitching insistently like a child is totally the way you can get something like this accomplished. :eek::rolleyes: How about coming up with an actual plan of how you can work with people to get it to happen given the challenged and roadblocks in place? No, I suppose it's just easier to bitch from the sidelines instead of actually taking the time and interest to understand the issue.

U of M Marching Band.........................

Because bitching insistently like a child is totally the way you can get something like this accomplished. :eek::rolleyes: How about coming up with an actual plan of how you can work with people to get it to happen given the challenged and roadblocks in place? No, I suppose it's just easier to bitch from the sidelines instead of actually taking the time and interest to understand the issue.

Yeah, I'm bitching from the sidelines because no one else is up for the task! Not even you AeroGopher! You must be from Madison. Go Gophers!:clap:

The tradition this thread is talking about is the Band's former parade down University Ave, and that tradition served a function. That function was to get the marching Band from point A (Northrop) to point B (Memorial Stadium). When Gopher Football moved to the Dome, tore down Memorial Stadium, and moved the Band into a state-of-the-art facility in TCF that tradition died. The tradition of topic that you hold near and dear to your heart doesn't need to move over since it no longer exists, and logistically cannot work.

Everything else you mention is not relevant to this specific topic. You have started countless numbers of other threads about them, but manage to not really provide much constructive discussion and talk in circles to no end. Traditions take time. What you are looking for is instant gratification. Some stuff will stick right away such as rotating the M, the Ski-U-Mah banner (should that continue next year), and the third quarter "Do the Gopher" pump up music. Other aspects of the game day atmosphere take time to develop and require support from both the fans and the U. Change happens over time. Earlier you mentioned the "traditional" chants the band makes as they perform. The only tradition about them is that they exist. Most of the chants are inside jokes and sayings that change over the years because their meanings are forgotten.

I for one have enjoyed the game day atmosphere at TCF on Saturdays, and cannot wait to take my future children (whenever that may be) back to campus for a football game. I also understand that Game Day will be a forever evolving experience, and am interested in how things will change year over year - big or small.

The fact that the University Avenue march served a practical function, does not mean that it didn't become a popular tradition, and one that is still cherished by many Gopher fans, including myself. I had hoped that it was a tradition that would have been restored once football moved back on campus at a location close to old Memorial Stadium. I continue to believe that the march generated far more game day excitement than the current pre-game concert, but I realize that reasonable people can disagree with that. In any event, I doubt that logistically the march is impossible. Assuming, arguendo, it cost $20,000 a game to do the march, that means for a 6 or 7 home game schedule, that would be a cost of $120,000 to $140,000 a season. That's a small fraction of the $800,000 the Athletic Department spend on buying out the home and home series with North Carolina, and, in my opinion, would be money much better spent.

Assuming, arguendo, it cost $20,000 a game to do the march, that means for a 6 or 7 home game schedule, that would be a cost of $120,000 to $140,000 a season. That's a small fraction of the $800,000 the Athletic Department spend on buying out the home and home series with North Carolina, and, in my opinion, would be money much better spent.

$20,000 spent on a 15 minute march is money much better spent?

It's a shame all this passion and energy isn't being spent on getting fans to the victory walk which would actually benefit the players and impress recruits.

The U of M can easily spend $20K! They have paid out a helluva lot more for coaching buyouts!!!

The tradition this thread is talking about is the Band's former parade down University Ave, and that tradition served a function. That function was to get the marching Band from point A (Northrop) to point B (Memorial Stadium). When Gopher Football moved to the Dome, tore down Memorial Stadium, and moved the Band into a state-of-the-art facility in TCF that tradition died. The tradition of topic that you hold near and dear to your heart doesn't need to move over since it no longer exists, and logistically cannot work.

Everything else you mention is not relevant to this specific topic. You have started countless numbers of other threads about them, but manage to not really provide much constructive discussion and talk in circles to no end. Traditions take time. What you are looking for is instant gratification. Some stuff will stick right away such as rotating the M, the Ski-U-Mah banner (should that continue next year), and the third quarter "Do the Gopher" pump up music. Other aspects of the game day atmosphere take time to develop and require support from both the fans and the U. Change happens over time. Earlier you mentioned the "traditional" chants the band makes as they perform. The only tradition about them is that they exist. Most of the chants are inside jokes and sayings that change over the years because their meanings are forgotten.

I for one have enjoyed the game day atmosphere at TCF on Saturdays, and cannot wait to take my future children (whenever that may be) back to campus for a football game. I also understand that Game Day will be a forever evolving experience, and am interested in how things will change year over year - big or small.

The fact that the University Avenue march served a practical function, does not mean that it didn't become a popular tradition, and one that is still cherished by many Gopher fans, including myself. I had hoped that it was a tradition that would have been restored once football moved back on campus at a location close to old Memorial Stadium. I continue to believe that the march generated far more game day excitement than the current pre-game concert, but I realize that reasonable people can disagree with that. In any event, I doubt that logistically the march is impossible. Assuming, arguendo, it cost $20,000 a game to do the march, that means for a 6 or 7 home game schedule, that would be a cost of $120,000 to $140,000 a season. That's a small fraction of the $800,000 the Athletic Department spend on buying out the home and home series with North Carolina, and, in my opinion, would be money much better spent.

It's a shame all this passion and energy isn't being spent on getting fans to the victory walk which would actually benefit the players and impress recruits.

Here ya go. I'm all for returning tradition. I started going to games in 1968. The Gophers moved to the Dome in 1982. The Gophers moved out of the Dome to TCF Bank Stadium in 2009. I am 54 years old.

I'll take a stab and say half the season ticket holders are older than me and half are younger. I'll bet I'm close.

The University March lasted 15 years of my fandom, and was ended 32 years ago.

Traffic patterns, the development along University Ave., parking, the stadium location, and the home location of the band have radically changed in those 32 years. You could make an argument that the entire east side of the campus has changed.

It's as much a tradition to me as pole sitting and going over Niagara falls in a barrel. I look back on it as quaint, but not a program saver. The Victory Walk could easily match or even surpass this long-gone tradition. It would be plainly clear to anyone that was at the Air Force game.

To keep longing for something that is impractical, no longer a tradition, and--I'm sorry--not missed by as many people as some think, is short-sighted and a waste of energy and time.

How about spending resources on jazzing up the Victory Walk--or how about just having actually people show up for it? Do you really think bringing back the University March would be any better attended? I think not.

First of all, I doubt that the actual cost would be anywhere near $20,000. But even if it were, whether it was money well spent, would depend on what benefits it produced. The objective would be to improve the pre-game atmosphere and over-all fan support with a corresponding increase in revenues for the program. Intuitively, I believe it would likely have that result, but that is something that would have to be studied before the cost is incurred.

It's a shame all this passion and energy isn't being spent on getting fans to the victory walk which would actually benefit the players and impress recruits.[/QUOTE

It's not a shame at all. I've seen it a time or two. too many of the players have their ear buds in and are fiddling with their electronic devices and really don't even seem to notice the fans that came out to see them. That's less than impressive. It also happens too darn long before game time. You will never get many more fans there at that point in time.

I'd be more impressed if they took a walk around the stadium after a victory and interacted with their fans a bit rather than having their music and communications devices...

And it should be called the "Pre-Game-Walk" You don't take a victory walk and then go out and get your butt kicked and lose a game. You have to earn a victory. Take a "victory lap" around the inside of the stadium after a win right after you sing the Rouser down in the bowl end where the student section is supposed to be. Get the fans to start sticking around in the stadium after a win...after a VICTORY.

; 0 )

If people aren't showing up to the games, than they're not going to show up to watch the band march. The team needs to start winning to increase interest and when people start showing up, if the team wins on a consistent basis, then whatever pregame festivities that are around will be as revered by my generation as the band march was in the 60's. Guarantee the people who revere the march down university have fond memories because the team was good under Murry Warmath, fans showed up and gopher football was a happening, but going 2-6 in the big ten the last three years and 0-8 five years ago isn't going to generate much enthusiasm for the team no matter what's on the pregame agenda. The march down university probably would've been lame if you took half the fans out.

If people aren't showing up to the games, than they're not going to show up to watch the band march. The team needs to start winning to increase interest and when people start showing up, if the team wins on a consistent basis, then whatever pregame festivities that are around will be as revered by my generation as the band march was in the 60's. Guarantee the people who revere the march down university have fond memories because the team was good under Murry Warmath, fans showed up and gopher football was a happening, but going 2-6 in the big ten the last three years and 0-8 five years ago isn't going to generate much enthusiasm for the team no matter what's on the pregame agenda. The march down university probably would've been lame if you took half the fans out.

Obviously, winning solves many problems, but I do believe that game day atmosphere helps to expand the fan base, regardless of on field performance. And expanding the fan base builds the revenue base that is needed to build the program. It's all interrelated.

Just win consistently and everything will change. As far as the band...cant close down University though...main cog - too busy.

It's not a shame at all. I've seen it a time or two. too many of the players have their ear buds in and are fiddling with their electronic devices and really don't even seem to notice the fans that came out to see them. That's less than impressive. It also happens too darn long before game time. You will never get many more fans there at that point in time.

I'd be more impressed if they took a walk around the stadium after a victory and interacted with their fans a bit rather than having their music and communications devices...

And it should be called the "Pre-Game-Walk" You don't take a victory walk and then go out and get your butt kicked and lose a game. You have to earn a victory. Take a "victory lap" around the inside of the stadium after a win right after you sing the Rouser down in the bowl end where the student section is supposed to be. Get the fans to start sticking around in the stadium after a win...after a VICTORY.

Translation: B*tch, B*tch, B*tch, Whine, Whine, Whine, Me, Me, Me, Lose, Lose, Lose

And it should be called the "Pre-Game-Walk" You don't take a victory walk and then go out and get your butt kicked and lose a game.

Thank you for summing yourself up as a fan. C'mon guys, how dare you go into a game expecting to win.

How about this: the band puts on a pre-game concert/pep rally in the plaza in front of the Alumni Center 1 hr prior to kick-off and then marches over to the bowl end of the stadium for their entrance onto the field. The WHOLE band, not just a small pep band. This is similar to what the UW band does at their student union. It has become a big tradition at Madtown and people know exactly what time it's going to be every week. The same can be said for the famous "skull session" the Ohio State Band puts on at OSU.

How does the homecoming parade work? I doubt the band would be bussed anywhere, but I could be wrong. Didn't they also hold the parade on the Saturday morning before the game? Let's just call the march down University Ave. a parade and everyone will be happy.

How does the homecoming parade work? I doubt the band would be bussed anywhere, but I could be wrong. Didn't they also hold the parade on the Saturday morning before the game? Let's just call the march down University Ave. a parade and everyone will be happy.

The Homecoming Parade is Friday night. And it's more than just the band. It has about 100 units, including student organizations, residence halls, Greeks, politicians, U VIPS, and a Grand Marshal.

I personally like the pre game march around the stadium, to me where the band marches is all semantics, but to each their own. Obviously winning solves everything, but I think after blowing momentum of building TCF in just 1 1/2 seasons, winning might be the only problem solver at this point. Some other posters like to bring up what Nebraska, Ohio State Wisconsin and others traditions. What all those schools have in common is they win, you don't hear about what Vandy, IU or Duke do because they don't win. If the Badgers were still in pre Alverez mode jump around would be mocked in the same way Bielema mocked the gophers for singing hte school song after every home game.

I personally like the pre game march around the stadium, to me where the band marches is all semantics, but to each their own. Obviously winning solves everything, but I think after blowing momentum of building TCF in just 1 1/2 seasons, winning might be the only problem solver at this point. Some other posters like to bring up what Nebraska, Ohio State Wisconsin and others traditions. What all those schools have in common is they win, you don't hear about what Vandy, IU or Duke do because they don't win. If the Badgers were still in pre Alverez mode jump around would be mocked in the same way Bielema mocked the gophers for singing hte school song after every home game.

We did hear about Iowa State though... Perennial bottom feeders similar to MN for the last several decades and they know how to tailgate and have a party! My stepdaughter attended Iowa Sate and we went to several games with her... Huge, fun, tailgating all around the entire stadium... They lost almost every game I went to, but that didn't deter the party... I think if Mr Norwood Teague wants an example of what is possible, he needs to study what Iowa State does... Policies be damned! Minneapolis rules be damned!

"You damn kids with your damn rock n roll!" -imthewalrus's father, 1955.

We did hear about Iowa State though... Perennial bottom feeders similar to MN for the last several decades and they know how to tailgate and have a party! My stepdaughter attended Iowa Sate and we went to several games with her... Huge, fun, tailgating all around the entire stadium... They lost almost every game I went to, but that didn't deter the party... I think if Mr Norwood Teague wants an example of what is possible, he needs to study what Iowa State does... Policies be damned! Minneapolis rules be damned!

My buddy's daughter currently is a student at ISU. He went down to a game last year for the first time and was blown away. Any place you can set up a grill, they let you set up a grill. Any place you could park a car, they allow you to park a car, or sell parking if it's your property.

He said the atmosphere was amazing, and I'll be heading down there with him this year to experience it.

Winning cures all, and although I'm resigned to never seeing the band march down University again, I would be there if they did. The big thing that is missing is access to tailgating. I've yet to purchase an annual pass, and have tailgated in many spots, but each week it's an adventure trying to coordinate with the people I'm going with about where to go, will there be enough room for 3 vehicles, do you know someone...etc, etc etc.

My buddy's daughter currently is a student at ISU. He went down to a game last year for the first time and was blown away. Any place you can set up a grill, they let you set up a grill. Any place you could park a car, they allow you to park a car, or sell parking if it's your property.

He said the atmosphere was amazing, and I'll be heading down there with him this year to experience it.

Winning cures all, and although I'm resigned to never seeing the band march down University again, I would be there if they did. The big thing that is missing is access to tailgating. I've yet to purchase an annual pass, and have tailgated in many spots, but each week it's an adventure trying to coordinate with the people I'm going with about where to go, will there be enough room for 3 vehicles, do you know someone...etc, etc etc.

You'll have a great time! I was amazed and actually felt angry at the ineptness and screw-ups of the Minnesota experience! It's actually embarrassing!

Marching Band...............

You'll have a great time! I was amazed and actually felt angry at the ineptness and screw-ups of the Minnesota experience! It's actually embarrassing!

Sorry, I started this thread not knowing there would be Badgers trolling the board with their fantastic input!! Go Gophers AND the U of M Marching Band!:clap::cool::clap::cool:

This is the most reasonable idea in this thread.

How about this: the band puts on a pre-game concert/pep rally in the plaza in front of the Alumni Center 1 hr prior to kick-off and then marches over to the bowl end of the stadium for their entrance onto the field. The WHOLE band, not just a small pep band. This is similar to what the UW band does at their student union. It has become a big tradition at Madtown and people know exactly what time it's going to be every week. The same can be said for the famous "skull session" the Ohio State Band puts on at OSU.

This would be a great compromise to the donors, alumni and fundraisers who kind of were promised to some extent this old tradition from the Memorial stadium days as a selling point to donate to TCF. I agree with Robb, this would become a well attended event like the Dome was.The U should do this about 1 and 1/2 hours before the kickoff, close off Oak between there and the stadium and do everything they do on block G at the Macnamara Alumni center plaza with the marching band and pep squad, this way more people can fit over there, it is a more visible location, then have the band and the spirit squad march the short block over to the stadium on Oak and people get to relive the "University avenue" march of there youth and people can line this street. How hard would it be to block off University for 5 minutes so everyone can cross afterwards? There never going to be able to completely shut off University and marching from Northrop auditorium is not practical financially or time wise.

Top Bottom