Will the leaker get fired too?

nemosgold

Reaction score
What do you think, does the person in the SID office get canned for leaking this information to ESPN 1500. If I'm AD and I found out who the leaker was, he or she is gone.

Would depend who it was and what their value to the university is, but yeah for a lot of people that's a dismissible defense.

I would think so. Maturi seemed genuinely pissed about it. To be honest, I don't blame him for being so pissed.

Now if only someone had the authority/balls to fire Sid....

If they do figure it out, the person should be fired. The leak was an embarrasment to the University and should not happen.

I would think so. Maturi seemed genuinely pissed about it. To be honest, I don't blame him for being so pissed.

I take offense to that!

Yeah, whoever leaked it should be gone the day this is uncovered. You work for the person in charge and if something is not to be leaked, it's not to be leaked. Period.

If they do figure it out, the person should be fired. The leak was an embarrasment to the University and should not happen.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. If the leaker was stupid enough to use their office phone or university e-mail to communicate with Roufs it should take someone in IT all of about 15 minutes to identify the culprit. Assuming the U was handling this in a professional manner (yeah, I know, I'm rounding up) you should be able to count the number of people who should have had knowledge of this on your fingers.

More likely the leak would be a text or call from a cell phone. I would venture this idea would run into some legality issues, but I would get all the possible suspects in a room. Tell them you want their cell phones for inspection. It would be voluntary, but its not too hard to get the idea across that failure to cooperate would be a career limiting move.

Too tough

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. If the leaker was stupid enough to use their office phone or university e-mail to communicate with Roufs it should take someone in IT all of about 15 minutes to identify the culprit. Assuming the U was handling this in a professional manner (yeah, I know, I'm rounding up) you should be able to count the number of people who should have had knowledge of this on your fingers.

More likely the leak would be a text or call from a cell phone. I would venture this idea would run into some legality issues, but I would get all the possible suspects in a room. Tell them you want their cell phones for inspection. It would be voluntary, but its not too hard to get the idea across that failure to cooperate would be a career limiting move.

I worked in the SID office as an undergrad for three years. It'd be WAY to tough to track down the "leaker." My bet is that there could have been 20-30 undergrads/interns who could have been aware of these whispers on Saturday night.

Full-time employees of the department will have a work phone in addition to their personal phone. Think anybody who's pals with someone at AM1500 would be stupid enough to do this on their U-issued computer/phone/email? Please.

I worked in the SID office as an undergrad for three years. It'd be WAY to tough to track down the "leaker." My bet is that there could have been 20-30 undergrads/interns who could have been aware of these whispers on Saturday night.

Full-time employees of the department will have a work phone in addition to their personal phone. Think anybody who's pals with someone at AM1500 would be stupid enough to do this on their U-issued computer/phone/email? Please.

If any of the undergrads/interns knew about this before the game Saturday, then we have a pretty big problem. No one but the guys at the top should know anything until Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

If any of the undergrads/interns knew about this before the game Saturday, then we have a pretty big problem. No one but the guys at the top should know anything until Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

Agree.

In addition, do you really think any reporter would put his neck out on the line like Roufs did with info coming from an SID intern? No way. Roufs obviously knew he had a good source or else he doesn't run with a story like this. That means this was someone from a fairly high level who KNEW what was happening.

Not sure why we would assume it was from the SID office, though. There might be 1-2 people there that would have known details like Roufs was reporting on Friday. Probably had to be someone within the higher level of the department or a big booster who was solid on the info (if I had to guess).

And, I agree, if whomever did this did it using email or text or phone calls from a University phone or computer, then he/she is in big trouble. Won't take long to track if they did.

Keep Sid...Fire Dave Lee

Agree.

In addition, do you really think any reporter would put his neck out on the line like Roufs did with info coming from an SID intern? No way. Roufs obviously knew he had a good source or else he doesn't run with a story like this. That means this was someone from a fairly high level who KNEW what was happening.

I would agree with you on this if it were a reporter at the Strib or PP. The papers have editors who insist on journalistic standards, and lawyers who are averse to being sued. Also, the papers have an interest on staying on good terms with the U. Roufs, on the other hand, is pretty low on the food chain and looking to make a name for himself. Why not spitball this and see if it sticks, regardless of the source?

Not sure why we would assume it was from the SID office, though. There might be 1-2 people there that would have known details like Roufs was reporting on Friday. Probably had to be someone within the higher level of the department or a big booster who was solid on the info (if I had to guess).

Agreed. The only person in the SID who should have known about this is the SID himself. Especially on Thursday. He would then have an "all hands on deck" meeting with his staff right before the game on Saturday. As of Thursday, the ONLY people who should have had knowledge of this: Prexy B, Maturi, maybe an asst. AD, the SID, and probably someone from the U's office of General Counsel. If I had to place a guess on the source, I'd be looking at one of the regents, assuming the U was stupid enough to allow them to join in (sometimes this is unavoidable)

And, I agree, if whomever did this did it using email or text or phone calls from a University phone or computer, then he/she is in big trouble. Won't take long to track if they did.

As others have pointed out, you'd have to be a complete mouthbreather to send a leak like this using University hardware (then again, maybe it was an intern who's a CLA major). One thought, if they sent an email from their own smartphone, it should be trackable if they sent it via the U's wireless network (a CLA major wouldn't think of that!). I still think the list of potential leakers shouldn't be more than 4 or 5 people. If I were Joel I'd be asking them to hand over their iPhone or whatever, and then I'd be looking thru their sent messages, both e-mail & text. My guess is that sometime in the next few weeks there will be an announcement that someone from Bierman is "resigning to pursue other opportunities..."

Sorry if this sounds a bit heavy-handed, but if the culprit is determined, there should be no saccharine-laced press release with the "resigned to pursue other opportunities" niceties. Say that this person leaked the news and is being fired for that purpose.

Maturi probably "leaked it himself..." just to get a sense how the public would respond. : 0 )

The ad was in one nasty bind over the current situation. He was watching the football season close in on his own butt in a very serious and nasty way.Anybody KNOWS that if you want nothing leaked, you tell NO ONE. He has his "chain of command" and if he blew the mission by running around the athletics office or prexy b's office blabbing his "inner-hidden-deepest-need to know only secret, Maturi has no one but himself to blame for anything and for EVERYTHING.

Wasn't the man ever in the military? He needed to treat this information like TOP SECRET, superceeded information and he needed to guard this information with his life. IF he wanted to keep it secret.

Personally, I think he was so rattled with what was going down around him that he wanted to see how the public and the fan base would react.

A properly placed leak is a strategy and NOT an accident. Our government does it all the time. They always have and they always will. Administrations in the corporate world and in the academic world do it all the time too.

The team was on the road for two weeks. Maturi was SO afraid about what the crowd reaction/lack of crowd showing up would be this coming Saturday that he HAD to make a move now. It was about to get really ugly, I fear, people. The student section could have really made Maturi and Prexy B look bad this Saturday when PSU rolls into town.

There are NO accidents, only intentional "unidentified sources..."

Top Bottom