will the hammer come down on USC?

Wikipedia lists them under the subject of NCAA Death Penalty. While that isn't the authoritative source, its also the very first Google return for "NCAA Death Penalty". Since anyone could edit them out if they disagreed, I think its very likely that most folks believe them to be recipients of the death penalty.

I get where you are coming from, but if rodent had actually researched what a death penalty requires he would know that a death penalty is put in place for repeat offenders (schools currently on probation and/or have had a major infraction in the last 5 years of their current infraction). Look at the three schools he claims received the death penalty:

SMU: no argument here, this school was dirty in the 1980s (and before)

MacMurrary: no other infractions. However, because it is a D3 school athletic scholarships are not allowed (financial aid of any sort is not allowed to international students anyways). Had this been a d2 or d1 school, they would not have been sanctioned because those schools can receive scholarship money for athletics. But it isn't. NCAA mandated if an ineligible player plays all wins are vacated (which the NCAA did). Okay so what else can they do? They can't take away scholarships. They can't take away tv appearances and stuff like that. The only thing they can do is ban a program for said amount of years. Which in this case was 2 years (and 2 years of no post season competition).

Morehouse: They banned their OWN team. The NCAA didn't ban them. They came in after and said "We accept your sanctions, but your self ban must be for a minimum of 3 years." Morehouse stated that they would not appeal because they were looking to turn their soccer team BACK into a club team.

So before everyone on this board starts to crush the NCAA for not giving USC (and I am not a fan of how their program is run), please keep in mind that while Minnesota was on probation (from the academic scandal) Minnesota WBB team had major infractions in 2002 (less than 2 years after the scandal) and did not receive the death penalty.

They aren't schools that I claim received the death penalty, they are schools that every source that I can find claims recieved the death penalty. I'm not claiming that USC ought to get the death penalty, only that I doubt very much that the NCAA would be willing to give the death penalty to school as high profile as USC.

Top Bottom